HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any ideas how to fix this mess?

Old
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
1) You see only what you want to see, and as usual, take comments completely ouf of context. I said, as I have all along, that we have a group of prospects that will produce a number of NHLers. Compared to the prospect pools of other teams, that isn't such a great feat. Especially when you consider that numerous other teams will not only produce several valuable role players, like the Rangers are poised too, but franchise-players as well, which the Rangers are not poised to do.

2) "My skull" does just fine, don't you worry. There's a reason we haven't finished poorly enough to have a top 10 pick, and that's because Sather refuses to rebuild. What you fail to comprehend time and again is that I would rather not make the playoffs for 2-3 years and get high draft picks than make the playoffs as a low seed for the same 2-3 years and be eliminated in the first or second round, only to see the cycle continue for the next 2-3 years.

And we have had 3 fairly high picks in recent years. Two of the three were massive busts.

3) Just because I'm more interested in winning a Stanley Cup than I am in years of early round playoff exits doesn't make me, or anyone else who agrees with me, any less of a Ranger fan than you. Questioning my "fandom" is as silly and immature as the usual cadre of insults you throw my way simply because I disagree with you.

4) Making the playoffs is a MUCH bigger deal right now for the Blues than it is for the Rangers. The Rangers will never have problems making money or selling tickets. The Blues made the playoffs for 25 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS, and as soon as they hit a rough patch, people stopped coming to the games. The Blues are a rebuilding team that has battled through massive injuries to some of their best players, delaying their return to contention, and probably delaying them from making more money.

Making the playoffs for the Blues is HUGE. The Rangers could and HAVE continued to be a money-making machine even through a decade of embarrassment. There is a monumental difference in the goals, needs and current business models of these two teams. If St. Louis wasn't as unlucky with injuries as they have been this season, they would be closer to making the playoffs, and Tkachuk's name probably wouldn't even be in the trade talks.

How many games did Cherepanov play in the NHL? There's as much chance Cherepanov would have been the next Crosby as there was for him to be the next Pavel Brendl. You don't know what he would have been. I don't know what he would have been. That's why I don't bring him up anymore when discussing Sather's draft history. There was nothing for certain about Cherepanov.

Your number 2 is ridiculous. Tell that to Rangers fans including myself, who buy tickets to go watch the games. We don't go to watch the other team win.

Again, here you go pointing the finger at Sather again for drafting Jessiman and Montoya. Why can't you get over that? Do you honestly think (and I'm not doing the research) that Sather is the only GM to make a mistake on a first round pick. I'll bet it's happened to every General Manager. Who knows, maybe the same scout who found Lundqvist, convinced Slats to pick Montoya.

Here you contradicting your self again. You just told me that we do not know what Cherepanov would have been. Maybe the next Crosby, maybe the next Brendyl right? So if you don't know what kind of player Cherepanov would have developed into, how do you know what the rest of the talent pool is so capable of?? Maybe they will be more than just NHLers. You seem to know how to predict the future (looking at your first paragraph) when it comes to comparing the talent pools of ours to the rest of the league. So how do you know? You're passing judgments about our entire talent pool compared to the league and you yourself admits to not having a clue as to what type of player Cherepanov would have been.

You stated you would rather not make the playoffs for another 2 to 3 years?? OMG! Anyone else on board with that plan? No thank you. Whose gonna pay for my tickets? You Sting? When I watch them lose like you wish? So many other people I am sure work hard to spend money to watch a game? For what? To satisfy the GM's plan of losing? Good thing you aren't the GM of this team and let this plan of yours seep out. You would probably be assassinated.
And besides the fact, It's not just missing the playoffs. We would have to have a record like the Islanders. Or suffer like the Penguins for years until the league feels bad for us and gives us Crosby or Lemieux to save the franchise. You want to be a 45 point team right now in the standings?? I don't. But nah, that's too high for you. What? 35 points to get Tavares. Just like Cherepanov, how do you know he doesn't wind up being a Brendyl and not a Crosby?

And let me ask you. How do these top 10 picks ensure you a Cup anyway. Look at Atlanta. Say we finished dead last for two years and drafted Kovalchuk and Lehtonen? Last I checked, they haven't been doing so great? Even with all the media hype and the league with their tongue up his ***, Crosby hasn't won a Cup. As a matter of fact, they were beaten by a bunch of late round Detroit draft picks.
Once again, Detroit is proof that you can draft guys like Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Franzen and Datsyuk in the late rounds and grab guys who can win you a Cup. You fail to comprehend that!

Don't say I can't compare Detroit to the Rangers and laugh. Because, then you're laughing at all the other teams in the league as well. And Ken Holland admitted, the big secret is out. He and his scouts aren't hockey gods. They put a lot of money into scouting, which is something the Rangers could afford to do (unless there's a salary cap on scouts as well). They (Detroit) were the pioneers of a team that is having success every year because they take full advantage of scouting all of that talent over seas. As you can see by the names I listed above.

It takes a lot of hard work from your scouts. It's not so easy as getting a top pick and being handed a franchise player. So that's why I do not like your philosophy at all.
For 7 years I went to games and cheered my team on to get into the playoffs, so maybe you and other people (if they're out there) want to lose for another 2 to 5 years to have high end picks (which does not guarantee you the Cup or is the ultimate proven method) but I don't.

And yea I still do question your fandom. Because while everyone else is enjoying the playoffs you'll be home . That's sad.

I'm not making fun. Don't accuse me of that. You're whining. I have not seen anyone else on the boards who happens to agree with you (that the top ten picks is the proven method to the Cup, which is funny because last years team just proved it's not the only proven method) complain to the same extent as you on a daily basis.

Even Levski agreed when I used not only the term boring conversation. But redundant and depressing.

BTW, Once again. I don't give a **** about the Blues. They're normal if they want to get into the playoffs.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
There's a reason we haven't finished poorly enough to have a top 10 pick, and that's because Sather refuses to rebuild. What you fail to comprehend time and again is that I would rather not make the playoffs for 2-3 years and get high draft picks than make the playoffs as a low seed for the same 2-3 years and be eliminated in the first or second round, only to see the cycle continue for the next 2-3 years.
I'm sure you've got lots of hate for Slats and all but with this situation, you're waaaaay off-base.

The playoffs bring in a ton of revenue and it's the OWNERSHIP's DECISION to rebuild and pass up on that revenue, NOT SATHER's.

If you want to be like the Islanders and intentionally ice a loser to improve your draft position to assist you with a rebuild talk to Dolan. For sure it was Wang's decision on the Island and not one that Neil Smith wanted to go along with. Smith, quickly found himself unemployed, replaced by a more compliant Garth Snow.

Signings, drafting, and trades are the actions of a GM, the decision to rebuild an organization, is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Crosby hasn't won a Cup. As a matter of fact, they were beaten by a bunch of late round Detroit draft picks.
How well you draft is absolutely more important than where you draft. Of course, the higher the pick, the easier it is to get the guy you want. Although Vancouver and Ottawa had higher picks and chose defensemen in 2005, I think they both could have chosen better. A higher pick doesn't always guarantee you a better pick. Even Carolina with the #3 pick, so far, looks like they took the wrong guy and until JJ shows otherwise, I'm sticking with that.

Last edited by vipernsx: 02-03-2009 at 06:56 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I'm sure you've got lots of hate for Slats and all but with this situation, you're waaaaay off-base.

The playoffs bring in a ton of revenue and it's the OWNERSHIP's DECISION to rebuild and pass up on that revenue, NOT SATHER's.

If you want to be like the Islanders and intentionally ice a loser to improve your draft position to assist you with a rebuild talk to Dolan. For sure it was Wang's decision on the Island and not one that Neil Smith wanted to go along with. Smith, quickly found himself unemployed, replaced by a more compliant Garth Snow.

Signings, drafting, and trades are the actions of a GM, the decision to rebuild an organization, is not.

How well you draft is absolutely more important than where you draft. Of course, the higher the pick, the easier it is to get the guy you want. Although Vancouver and Ottawa had higher picks and chose defensemen in 2005, I think they both could have chosen better. A higher pick doesn't always guarantee you a better pick. Even Carolina with the #3 pick, so far, looks like they took the wrong guy and until JJ shows otherwise, I'm sticking with that.
Thank you!! I forgot to even get to the point about ownership.

Old
02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
gravytrain6t

See with the above guy no argument. With me argue away.

Old
02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Well-said, any flaws of this organization start and end with James Dolan. From his Wikipedia entry:

Quote:
James Dolan also serves as Chairman of Madison Square Garden and is well-known for his lackluster stewardship of the professional sports teams that MSG owns.

The Rangers saw a decline in performance in the wake of Dolan's increased role in managing the team and failed to make the playoffs from the 1997-1998 season until the 200405 NHL lockout, despite leading the league in payroll in most of those years. This was the longest playoff drought in franchise history. Despite fan and media calls for the team's general manager Glen Sather to be fired for the organization's shortcomings, Sather was retained and has successfully rebuilt the Rangers in the post-lockout era of the NHL.
He will never fire Sather, Sather will retire on his own terms. It will be amazing if the Rangers or Knicks win a championship under the reign of James Dolan.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Well-said, any flaws of this organization start and end with James Dolan. From his Wikipedia entry:

He will never fire Sather, Sather will retire on his own terms. It will be amazing if the Rangers or Knicks win a championship under the reign of James Dolan.
Exactly right, Sather has a job for life here, he will not be fired neither will Renney. Sather loves Renney, he will not fire him this season.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
fourhole

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Is there anymore updates involving the Nhl considering to take the rangers away from dolan?

Old
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
gravytrain6t

Yes but the most important part of what Viper is saying in his first paragraph, is that last sentence.

Old
02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourhole View Post
Is there anymore updates involving the Nhl considering to take the rangers away from dolan?
Hmm, I'm not sure what's going on with that. I know Bettman threatened disciplinary action against Dolan, but I'm not sure if he actually sued him. It could more of a scare tactic than anything.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
trademasterb*

After last night, I'm developing a strategy how to fix this.

1. Fire Renney
2. Trade Betts so the new coach can't possibly follow the stupidity of Renney and play Betts and his line which can't ever score, 10 to 14 minutes a game.
3. Hire a coach who realizes Orr shouldn't play 70 games a season and who can actually help the team develop a PP.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
After last night, I'm developing a strategy how to fix this.

1. Fire Renney
2. Trade Betts so the new coach can't possibly follow the stupidity of Renney and play Betts and his line which can't ever score, 10 to 14 minutes a game.
3. Hire a coach who realizes Orr shouldn't play 70 games a season and who can actually help the team develop a PP.
*yawn*
so you think those 5 minutes the 4th line plays more than it maybe should, are the ones where the 3 "top lines" suddenly score in bunches?

they weren't able to score at even strength in about 95 minutes of even strength ice time in the last two games, so to me there's nothing indicating that they would've scored in the 15 minutes of ES the betts line took away in these games.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I have an idea on how to fix this mess, spring training

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
BRINGBACKAVERY

Fire Renney
Give Betts more ice time
bench Redden
get two or three players at the deadline with a pair of balls

I think that would give us the right mix of skills, grit and hockey smarts to win.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
Fire Renney
Give Betts more ice time
bench Redden
get two or three players at the deadline with a pair of balls

I think that would give us the right mix of skills, grit and hockey smarts to win.
What exactly would give them the right mix of skill, grit and smarts? You really don't offer any real solutions.

For a team that's not scoring goals, is more ice time for Blair Betts really the answer? Fire Renney? And replace him with whom? Bench Redden? And replace him with whom? Get two or three players at the deadline? OK who?

I'm sorry but your "solution" as overly simplified as saying the solution is to score more goals and give up fewer.

02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
BRINGBACKAVERY

obviously blair betts is not the answer to our offensive woes. But since our first and 2nd line players aren't getting it done I think if we started playing a guy like betts, who although limited in the talent and flash departments, it'll send a message to the otherplayers that if you don't get cookin' you will sit on the bench.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
obviously blair betts is not the answer to our offensive woes. But since our first and 2nd line players aren't getting it done I think if we started playing a guy like betts, who although limited in the talent and flash departments, it'll send a message to the otherplayers that if you don't get cookin' you will sit on the bench.
Who exactly are you referring to?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
MAYO

I just don't get some of you!!! This team is lacking in every area, no finishing, no quaterback on the p.p., no traffic going to the net,......ect. But what I don't understand, and I've said it before, how can you guys be so in love with Z?!?!?! This guy creates more turn-overs then the corner bakery! Yes he has some sick moves, but honestly, how many scoring chances have we missed due to him not giving up the puck?!?!? I now see what ever one in Colombus was saying about this kid, could be great, but this guy is a "one man" type of player! Don't ask why Dubi hasn't scored more then he has this year, you kind of need the puck to do so, and to boot, this guy gets upset when the pther players miss a pass to him!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Jersey Girl

This team needs to pull a 'Knicks'. Get rid of the GM and hire someone who will:

1. Rid the team of it's bad contracts. That means Redden's joke of a deal (which has five more years of laughs to come), Drury (a good player who is overpaid for what he brings to the table), and maybe more. I lean toward keeping Gomez because of his speed, but it depends if you think the cap will go up or down in the future.

2. Draft well and fill in the gaps with trades and free agents. Not crazy free agent signings for way more than anyone else will sign them for...guys who will help the team and not cripple them cap-wise. Takes a little more work to do it this way.

3. Keep cap room open for hired guns who are available cheap at the deadline.

Of course this is in fantasy world, our current GM is here for life so we'll keep plodding along until he's ready to retire on his own terms. But he is a genius, just ask him.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This team needs to pull a 'Knicks'. Get rid of the GM and hire someone who will:

1. Rid the team of it's bad contracts. That means Redden's joke of a deal (which has five more years of laughs to come), Drury (a good player who is overpaid for what he brings to the table), and maybe more. I lean toward keeping Gomez because of his speed, but it depends if you think the cap will go up or down in the future.

2. Draft well and fill in the gaps with trades and free agents. Not crazy free agent signings for way more than anyone else will sign them for...guys who will help the team and not cripple them cap-wise. Takes a little more work to do it this way.

3. Keep cap room open for hired guns who are available cheap at the deadline.

Of course this is in fantasy world, our current GM is here for life so we'll keep plodding along until he's ready to retire on his own terms. But he is a genius, just ask him.

Yeah, we need to take a page out of the Knicks book, good thinking

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, who wants to move bad contracts and be prepared for future free agents and trades WHILE moving up in the standings. What a terrible formula.

Excellent point.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 02-04-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
they definately are on the right track now. get rid of deadweight contracts, draft good, and go for the big free agents. Also they play an offensive game which pushes the players.

We are going backwards. Signing worse contracts, and playing more and more defensive so much that I think that Renney is actually scared to have players cross the other teams blueline if we do not have the puck in complete control.

and actually the Knicks only have 2 less wins than ALL of last year. They have dramatically improved. We have not improved at all since last year, or the year before. In fact some people say we have regressed. So maybe we should try to improve and get rid of bad contracts (Gomez, Redden, Drury) maybe miss the PO's this year, and maybe even the year after and actually do this rebuild the right way b/c we do have some talent coming up through the pipelines and a solid young core. And if we can trade some, even one of those players, we could maybe get something of value in return (especially for a Gomez).

or maybe all it takes is just a coaching change. Maybe another coach can have this team perform better. it is possible you know. Look at Washington last season. There is no proof that Renney is maximizing this team, just like there is no proof that he isn't. the only way to find out is by replacing him, b/c obviously this team really isn't going anywhere special this year. Worse comes to worse we miss the playoffs and get a better draft pick in a very deep draft. IMO that's better than making the PO's this year and bowing out in the first round, or even the second round.

Last edited by DontStepanMe: 02-04-2009 at 02:34 PM.
DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
John Torturella

Point 1- As Henrik says put someone in front of the net. Ever notice how often the opposing teams score against us on either deflections or based on Henrik not seeing the puck at all because of screens. Very rarely do we score on deflections.

Point 2- Here is a team that is offensively challenged to begin with. How about we play a system that allows our guys to get the chances they need to put the puck in the net on a more consistent basis. Forget the fact that it is mind numbingly boring, I dont feel it is sutied for the guys on this team. Take a team that has issues scoring already and make them play a style where they dont get as many chances and youre gonna get a team that REALLY can not score.

Point 3- Wade Redden can not play the point on the powerplay. He does not do anything. Even when he decides to shoot its a 40 mph wrist shot. He very rarely sets up any offense. We need to start thinking about developing Staal as the point man. Heck, with the very little time he plays the point, he can do as good a job as Redden. He definitely has more offensive upside and we should take advantage of him and see if he can develop into a PP quarterback.

Point 4- Its obvious. Get another winger in here. It is not surprising that Gomez has been inconsistent as he has little offensive support. Naslund is not great. I know he scored last night but he is invisible and slow. Callahan is awesome but he is not a top line player on a playoff team at this point in his career and Im not sure he will ever be. He is a great 3rd liner with 2nd line potential. Not a 1st liner. A goal scorer would help bring some consistency to the team and balance the lines out nicely.

Point 5- Dont let Kalinin see the ice. Give Reitz a chance to play. If he matches Kalinin's total defensive game he has to stay in the lineup. He is a physical presence that this team really needs.

I could really go all day. This team has plenty of flaws.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yeah, who wants to move bad contracts and be prepared for future free agents and trades WHILE moving up in the standings. What a terrible formula.

Excellent point.
Sorry, but you're living in fantasy land. The rebuild has already begun. We did this rebuild when we had the big selloff years ago.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Sorry, but you're living in fantasy land. The rebuild has already begun. We did this rebuild when we had the big selloff years ago.
Yes, I'M in fantasy land.

Jeesh.

Old
02-04-2009, 02:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
sorry but we stopped the rebuild after the 05-06 season. A rebuild does not last 1 offseason. It should be a couple bad seasons in a row, where you stockpile alot of high end youth through the draft.

We had a great season in 05-06 and an even better in 06-07, then just bought every high priced UFA imaginable. This is not a rebuild. This is called going for the cup.

Unfortunately it looks like it will be a complete failure unless we unload some of these awful contracts.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote