HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Strategy for 2nd Penalty on a Power Play?

Old
02-01-2009, 11:58 AM
rbw

vCash: 500
Strategy for 2nd Penalty on a Power Play?

Not sure this is the right section for this, but I wanted to ask a question about power play strategy.

If a team is already on a power play, and the referee signals that another penalty is going to be called on the short-handed team, why doesn't the team with the man advantage immediately give up the puck to get the most 5-on-3 time?

It seems pretty consistent that the team on the power play doesn't do this; I'm not sure I understand why.

Thanks.

rbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw View Post
Not sure this is the right section for this, but I wanted to ask a question about power play strategy.

If a team is already on a power play, and the referee signals that another penalty is going to be called on the short-handed team, why doesn't the team with the man advantage immediately give up the puck to get the most 5-on-3 time?

It seems pretty consistent that the team on the power play doesn't do this; I'm not sure I understand why.

Thanks.
Well, the second they get that 2nd penalty, the team on the PP DOES get a 2 man advantage right away. So if your team has the puck, an extra skater is coming on and you are entering the offensive zone (or already there), you might as well just play on. That's the way I see it... a 5-3 is probably easier to score with, but you don't want to lose any momentum/scoring chances you may have had during the delayed penalty.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

Thanks.
Reckless is correct. In fact, it kind of drives me crazy when I see teams not taking advantage of the delay call.

When the ref raises his hand, the first thing you want to do is get the goalie off and put that extra attacker on. To do this, you need to have a team that is well disciplined to move the puck back to the defense, regroup, get the goalie off, and start the attack.

Now the same concept works when you have 1:30 seconds left on the clock. Ever see a 6 on 5 in the last mintue and a half? The team with the extra attacker puts so much pressure on the five guys, they forget to play like they are shorthanded and try to skate the puck out of the zone. What should they do? Simple, lob the puck into the neutral zone. Don't ice it, the face off will come back into the zone.

As for why teams don't do this is because they feel that they can skate end to end without any worries. The deal is, they just don't think about it.

I have seen several college teams and pro teams that regroup and set up to get the goalie off.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the Power Play team allowing the shorthanded team time to change and get fresh legs out. You will see this when a shorthanded team ices the puck, the PP defense goes back behind the net and waits for the shorthanded team to change and then the PP defense starts the attack.

If while on the icing of the puck, the goalie should come out and push the puck up to the off winger to catch the shorthanded team on the change. This forces the tired to stay on and not change. Thus you have a better chance of scoring that goal in their zone.

Just food for thought!

Head coach.

Last edited by Headcoach: 02-01-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
rbw

Thanks- appreciate your comments.

Old
02-02-2009, 01:05 AM
qwertysac

What headcoach said is dead on. There's no point for your team to turn the puck over to get the 2 man advantage quicker since you're getting one either way by getting your goalie over to the bench.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 06:43 AM
rbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
What headcoach said is dead on. There's no point for your team to turn the puck over to get the 2 man advantage quicker since you're getting one either way by getting your goalie over to the bench.
Makes sense, although I'd be interested to see the stats on goals scored 6-on-4 vs. goals scored 5-on-3. Also wonder if it might be different in the NHL, where the faceoff is always in the offensive zone.

Old
02-02-2009, 07:46 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:

Thanks.
Any team I have coached would be instructed to give up the puck unless we had full control in the offensive zone and we could make a quick play on net.

I would rather play 5on3 than 6on4 as there are fewer seams and a shot through has more people to hit when 6on4. A well worked five on three should result in a goal each time or at the very least force a terrific save(s).

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:53 AM
StormCast

Quote:

Thanks.
Though there is something to be said for more open ice with a 5-on-3 vs. a 6-on-4, the key is that the team on the PP has, in your scenario, possession of the puck. Rather than hope you win the faceoff and set back up on the PP, you keep pushing especially if you their PK unit has been out a while and is tiring.

Now if you are just a few seconds into the first PP and there is no obvious additional advantage, such as a PKer without a stick, then I'd give up the puck and try for the nearly full 2:00 2-man advantage.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote