HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Alexei Cherepanov Memorial Prospect Poll -#6

View Poll Results: #6
Tomas Kundratek (D) 11 9.91%
Corey Potter (D) 15 13.51%
Carl Hagelin (F) 9 8.11%
Micheal Sauer (D) 16 14.41%
Derek Stepan (F) 60 54.05%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Injuryfest.
Does the same apply to Byers then too? Because the two have had the same number and type of injuries since turning pro. (ACL and concussion)

P.S. Add Byers

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Does the same apply to Byers then too? Because the two have had the same number and type of injuries since turning pro. (ACL and concussion)

P.S. Add Byers
Yes. I was against drafting both these players cause of injuries.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Looks like AA and Sang will make the Rangers at some point next year, Korps is already with the team, and then it will be real quiet on the prospect front for several years.

Maybe DZ will make it in 2-3 years. Maybe Grachev or Stepan, but I am not as high as some people on them. They weren't a first round picks and haven't done anything since to prove that they are that much better than they were last year. They are certainly not blue-chippers.

Once AA and Sang are gone, our prospect corps will be as bad as they were when the only thing we had to look forward to was Tyutin plus a few 2-3 rounders who were hugely overestimated.
I have NO idea what you're talking about. Grachev is tearing up the OHL - to the extent that recently he's been outperforming teammates Cody Hodgson (#10 overall to Vancouver last year) and Matt Duschene (projected top 5 in a very deep draft this coming year). As a ROOKIE. See for yourself - look him up on youtube and you'll find some very dominating clips. As for Stepan, he's stepped into an excellent hockey program at Wisconsin (the same coach/school that has produced a plethora of NHL talent, including most recently Kyle Turris) and has been one of, if not THE, key factors in reversing that team's prospects from unranked afterthought to top 20 in the nation... as a FRESHMAN. These are solid, top-tier prospects. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw both in a blueshirt during your stated timeframe of 2-3 years. Heck, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Grachev NEXT year. I also think you're giving very short shrift to Kundratek and Doyle, who I believe have solid second tier talent written all over them.

(Sorry for the vociferousness - I feel very strongly about the Rangers' 2008 draft.)

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I have NO idea what you're talking about. Grachev is tearing up the OHL - to the extent that recently he's been outperforming teammates Cody Hodgson (#10 overall to Vancouver last year) and Matt Duschene (projected top 5 in a very deep draft this coming year). As a ROOKIE. See for yourself - look him up on youtube and you'll find some very dominating clips. As for Stepan, he's stepped into an excellent hockey program at Wisconsin (the same coach/school that has produced a plethora of NHL talent, including most recently Kyle Turris) and has been one of, if not THE, key factors in reversing that team's prospects from unranked afterthought to top 20 in the nation... as a FRESHMAN. These are solid, top-tier prospects. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw both in a blueshirt during your stated timeframe of 2-3 years. Heck, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Grachev NEXT year. I also think you're giving very short shrift to Kundratek and Doyle, who I believe have solid second tier talent written all over them.

(Sorry for the vociferousness - I feel very strongly about the Rangers' 2008 draft.)
Don't leave Hagelin out of it.

He may be just as good as Stepan.

Kveton may very well be our best offensive prospect. Unfortunately he doesn't have enough desire to be in NA.

At wost case those three (Hagelin, Stepan, Kveton) could fill out the 3rd line in the NHL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Cherepanisimov

hagelin add kveton.

pretty retarded that hagelin is in last place

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
pretty retarded that hagelin is in last place
It's even more retarded that Dane Byers hasn't even made the list yet.

Old
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Cherepanisimov

Where did all the love for Stepan come from? He's having a good season but I doubt anyone had ever heard of him before last June. I like him, but don't be so quick to call him a first line forward.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
NYR425

Voted Kundratek add Brodie Dupont

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
Where did all the love for Stepan come from? He's having a good season but I doubt anyone had ever heard of him before last June. I like him, but don't be so quick to call him a first line forward.
Agreed. Both Stepan and Hagelin have very real talent, but they are also rather raw (more so Stepan). Substantial upside but very substantial bust-factor. I think two of the three defenseman on the board are much safer bets to develop, while possessing solid upside. Potter seems to have regressed a bit to me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Grachev is in the top 20 in the OHL as an 18/19 year old. That's not bad, but it's nothing enormous. Remember how Dube tore up that league for 142 points at the same age?

Grachev is a different type of player in a different era, but just saying that someone who's on pace for less than 100 points is not someone I am ready to project as top-6 forward just yet, and certainly I don't expect him to make it next year.

Maybe he'll make it, maybe not. Either way, the wait will be about 3 years, about the same as DZ. I think I am accurate in my assertion that after AA and Sang in the next 12 months, it will get quiet on the rookie front for a year or two.

It's possible that in 3 years, it will start raining, as DZ, Grachev and future prospects (as well as surprises we aren't anticipating now) will start pouring in. Just as likely is a possibility that even these guys will bust.

Honestly, I would want the Rangers to have a fire sale and get another set of picks and prospects like in 2004. Just keep Lundqvist and young guys (Staal, Dubi, Korps, etc.), while getting prospects and second round picks for Naslund, Mara, Voros, etc.

If we could get decent returns for Simon and Malakhov, we can get it for our present guys.

But yes, yes, I know it will never happen.

I advocated for a Rangers fire sale for 6 years before it finally happened. Had the team reloaded in 1998 when guys like Beuk, Richter, Leetch had good value, the Rangers would've probably been Cup contenders instead of sucking throughout this decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Um i'm no Noob and I haven't been able to vote on a single one yet. Whats the deal????????

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Um i'm no Noob and I haven't been able to vote on a single one yet. Whats the deal????????
Your most likely coming in to late. Polls already closed.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Grachev is in the top 20 in the OHL as an 18/19 year old. That's not bad, but it's nothing enormous. Remember how Dube tore up that league for 142 points at the same age?

Grachev is a different type of player in a different era, but just saying that someone who's on pace for less than 100 points is not someone I am ready to project as top-6 forward just yet, and certainly I don't expect him to make it next year.

Maybe he'll make it, maybe not. Either way, the wait will be about 3 years, about the same as DZ. I think I am accurate in my assertion that after AA and Sang in the next 12 months, it will get quiet on the rookie front for a year or two.

It's possible that in 3 years, it will start raining, as DZ, Grachev and future prospects (as well as surprises we aren't anticipating now) will start pouring in. Just as likely is a possibility that even these guys will bust.

Honestly, I would want the Rangers to have a fire sale and get another set of picks and prospects like in 2004. Just keep Lundqvist and young guys (Staal, Dubi, Korps, etc.), while getting prospects and second round picks for Naslund, Mara, Voros, etc.

If we could get decent returns for Simon and Malakhov, we can get it for our present guys.

But yes, yes, I know it will never happen.

I advocated for a Rangers fire sale for 6 years before it finally happened. Had the team reloaded in 1998 when guys like Beuk, Richter, Leetch had good value, the Rangers would've probably been Cup contenders instead of sucking throughout this decade.
Why would it be 3 years? You'd assume MDZ and Grachev would be in the AHL next year...And if they produce at that level...it wouldnt be a stretch that we see them get some time NEXT season and compete for a real slot in TWO years. I dont quite get the 3 year ETA on guys already in NA.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
Why would it be 3 years? You'd assume MDZ and Grachev would be in the AHL next year...And if they produce at that level...it wouldnt be a stretch that we see them get some time NEXT season and compete for a real slot in TWO years. I dont quite get the 3 year ETA on guys already in NA.
Del Zotto can't play in the AHL next year; it's the NHL or juniors for him.

Old
02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
I think it would be a huge stretch. This is how careers of Dube, Goneau, etc. were destroyed.

You don't rush someone before they are ready. These kids should finish off their CHL careers next year and then spend another year in the minors. Then at some point in 2011-12 or even the year after that, they should get called up.

Offensive defensemen take a long time to develop, unless of course you expect Dizzy to become the next Leetch or Bourque. Even Lidstrom was 21 and Zubov was 22 by the time they made it.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-04-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote