HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Per Zipay, the Rangers aren't done on the trade front

Old
02-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The people in this thread who believe that the Rangers will sellers at the deadline, I just don't know what to say to you without being extremely insulting.
Wait. You mean playoff teams don't jettison half of their core at the deadline?

Quote:
Dubinsky remains my bet to be traded, particularly if Anisimov looks to be a suitable replacement.
I agree. Like the kid, but outside of Staal or Lundqvist, he'd fetch the best return.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Celestial Black

I am expecting the worse in slight hopes that something he does is actually helpful.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Every year I don't think Sather could be any stupider, and every time he proves me wrong.

If a first or second round pick is traded for a rental, I'm going to lose it.
This is a pretty uninformed statement. Sather's been a disaster with the UFA signings, no doubt about that.

In regards to trades, hes been pretty damn good.

Then again, the facts get ignored a lot around here to suit agendas.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Fletch

trxjw...

for whom would you trade Dubi? I'm not very attached to many players, but I believe that if the Rangers were to trade someone like Dubi that I hope it would be for a young winger. Not sure I'd be into the Rangers going after a rental, and I don't think I'd give up Dubi in a rental. Further, I don't know what value the Rangers' defensemen on the farm currently have and if they can return anything of substance - my guess is no.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This is a pretty uninformed statement. Sather's been a disaster with the UFA signings, no doubt about that.

Excellent post.

02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yep. Unfortunately, there's a belief that a successful season is winning the Cup or picking first overall.
But, the only other option is mediocrity! If we can't win the cup and we can't draft Hedman or Tavares, we're doomed from here to eternity! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
The only vet I can see this team potentially moving is Kalinin.
I don't think Kalinin has much value in trade. I also think Sather could use one more "Kalinin", not one less.

Quote:
for whom would you trade Dubi? I'm not very attached to many players, but I believe that if the Rangers were to trade someone like Dubi that I hope it would be for a young winger.
Needs to be a winger, could be a young player or prospect, but anyone with a modest contract that extends beyond next summer may fit the bill.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
for whom would you trade Dubi? I'm not very attached to many players, but I believe that if the Rangers were to trade someone like Dubi that I hope it would be for a young winger. Not sure I'd be into the Rangers going after a rental, and I don't think I'd give up Dubi in a rental. Further, I don't know what value the Rangers' defensemen on the farm currently have and if they can return anything of substance - my guess is no.
Dubinsky, Roszival + prospect (Sanguinetti or Del Zotto) for Kovalchuk, perhaps?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

hmmm...

It would be nice to see some trade proposals.....especially considering what can be got.

Kovalev and Gionta are both UFAs next season.

If their teams don't think they can re-sign they will trade them.

I am thinking Prucha and Kalinin for either one of those guys to play on the right of Gomez.

Use this site to help you out. Contains all the trade bait for this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=406793

Last edited by MikeyLikesHockey: 02-02-2009 at 09:39 AM.
MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think Kalinin has much value in trade. I also think Sather could use one more "Kalinin", not one less.

Needs to be a winger, could be a young player or prospect, but anyone with a modest contract that extends beyond next summer may fit the bill.
If you deal Kalinin, you have to be sure that get back another expiring contract.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I would hope so as well. In fact, that's probably the only instance in which I'd be open to trading him. I'd prefer a winger with 25+ goal upside who is of similar age to Dubi, or at least under 26. Then again, those players aren't exactly falling out of trees.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Fletch

I somewhat agree on Kalinin. Could he fetch a 3rd or 4th? Quite possibly. Is it worth moving him for that? I dunno. He's a third pair defenseman. I find it disheartening that this team needs to pay over $2MM for a third pair defenseman and that there was nobody in this organization who could've been that 6th defenseman for cheaper. But the point is, he's not a make or break guy. He's played well in his role (I think some would dispute that), but we need to remember his role is that of a third pair defenseman, and those guys should be replaceable from within.

On Dubi - I actually would be disappointed if he was moved (and if the reason was that AA looked good in limited action). Unless, of course, it's for that young winger who shows about as much promise as Dubi. I don't know who that kid would be though and I don't think a dozen or so games is a representative sample to move a guy like Dubi.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Fletch

Singn'...

Agree 100% on Kalinin (which is why I asked if it's worth moving him for a 3rd or 4th, if that was available).

Old
02-02-2009, 09:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Agree 100% on Kalinin (which is why I asked if it's worth moving him for a 3rd or 4th, if that was available).
It depends. The Rangers need a defenseman if they deal Kalinin. Unless they're sold in Reitz. They certainly don't feel that Sanguinetti or Potter are ready.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:40 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Kovalev and Gionta are expiring this year.

Check out the link I posted, there are a lot of players out there.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post

No way the Devils deal Gionta to the Rangers.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I would hope so as well. In fact, that's probably the only instance in which I'd be open to trading him. I'd prefer a winger with 25+ goal upside who is of similar age to Dubi, or at least under 26. Then again, those players aren't exactly falling out of trees.
Mikkel Boedker is an example of someone who might be a complimentary player to Dubi, TODAY, addresses the need for a LW'er and addresses the need for cheap, young talent with a multi-year contract. Maybe Dubinsky's edge in experience is of value of Phoenix, although I'm not sure if he fills a need positionally for them. Again, just an example......

Old
02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

Potential UFA's aren't a real good solution for the Rangers because it's almost impossible to resign them. Gotta think ahead to the playoffs AND beyond. How do you field an improved team with a better chance next year?

Old
02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Potential UFA's aren't a real good solution for the Rangers because it's almost impossible to resign them. Gotta think ahead to the playoffs AND beyond. How do you field an improved team with a better chance next year?
Depends, are you building on the future or trying to make a push for the cup.

You take a high profile UFA that can't be signed by his team, for the push,

You provide potential UFAs to other teams for talent if your thinking about the future.

I am thinking Glen is going to make a trade for the push.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:49 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I agree. Backman was as unspectacularly serviceable as Kalinin is, but I guess it's "hip" to bash anyone on the blueline who isn't making a run at a Norris trophy. You've either got people who WON'T admit that a player is meeting expectations because they have a bias, or you have people who are CAN'T identify good defensive play from an average defenseman when they see it.
I think comparing the two is an insult to Kalinin, actually. As bad as Kalinin can be, he's much better than Backman. I have no bias towards Backman. Heck, the Swedes are my favorites. And it isn't that I have something against Sather trading for him. We didn't give up anything of use for him and if he in any way helped us acquire Zherdev, I'm fine with that.

I can't recall off the top of my head a non-goon that is a worse decision-maker in this league than Backman. Every time he touches the puck, he's a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:
The people in this thread who believe that the Rangers will sellers at the deadline, I just don't know what to say to you without being extremely insulting.
Don't think anyone really believes it, but it's nice that more and more people finally realize there's no point in being good enough to make the playoffs but not being good enough to get anywhere.

Quote:
Dubinsky remains my bet to be traded, particularly if Anisimov looks to be a suitable replacement.
Unless Dubinsky is one of the main pieces in a trade for a legitimate scorer, then this is a horrible idea. Kid is in a bad slump, big deal. He's going to be a fine, fine two-way center.

Quote:
Yep. Unfortunately, there's a belief that a successful season is winning the Cup or picking first overall.
That's not the belief, and you know that's not the belief. The belief is that spending the next 5 years as a 5,6,7 seed and being eliminated in the first or second round doesn't make much sense when you can just rebuild, like plenty of other teams around the league have done, and come out a top seed in 3-4-5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

You're right about that last thing. Sather continues to ignore the fact that this team is average and that rebuilding is the way to go to suit his agenda: being good enough to just get into the playoffs so he can keep his job.

By the way, where did I say that Sather is bad at trades? I didn't. I said every year Sather does SOMETHING to show me that he's an idiot. Like spending almost half of the teams cap space on a bunch of second liners over the course of two summers. I never said he made bad trades.

I know what Sather has and hasn't done. I've been here the whole time and I haven't gone anywhere.

But, it's Sather, so I wouldn't be surprised if his next trade was as terrible as his UFA signings. If he's dumb enough to sign Wade Redden to a 6 year, 6.5 million dollar deal, then he's dumb enough to do anything. Nothing would surprise me anymore with this guy.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Vitto79

with Anisimov up now I think they will ride this lineup out till the deadline

really they have to with the cap anyways

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Depends, are you building on the future or trying to make a push for the cup.

You take a high profile UFA that can't be signed by his team, for the push,

You provide potential UFAs to other teams for talent if your thinking about the future.

I am thinking Glen is going to make a trade for the push.
Glen needs to be realistic too, because if you make the push and fail, you're REALLY in trouble from a personnel standpoint next fall.

Quote:
I think comparing the two is an insult to Kalinin, actually. As bad as Kalinin can be, he's much better than Backman.
I don't know what to say other than I disagree. I've seen Backman play before, during and after his Ranger tenure and never felt he was anything less than a capable 3rd pairing defenseman. If his abilities were really on par with the assessments of his abilities as illustrated here, he wouldn't be in his 5th full NHL season.

Quote:
Unless Dubinsky is one of the main pieces in a trade for a legitimate scorer, then this is a horrible idea. Kid is in a bad slump, big deal. He's going to be a fine, fine two-way center.
Don't disagree, but he's the most valuable of the tradeable Rangers and in line for a raise that the Rangers don't really have the budget to give him.

Old
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
That's not the belief, and you know that's not the belief. The belief is that spending the next 5 years as a 5,6,7 seed and being eliminated in the first or second round doesn't make much sense when you can just rebuild, like plenty of other teams around the league have done, and come out a top seed in 3-4-5 years.
There is that belief.

You don't rebuild when you're making the playoffs while adding youth to the lineup.

You rebuild when you are struggling to earn the 8 seed.

And you can't win the Cup without getting into the playoffs.

Old
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Glen needs to be realistic too, because if you make the push and fail, you're REALLY in trouble from a personnel standpoint next fall.

I don't know what to say other than I disagree. I've seen Backman play before, during and after his Ranger tenure and never felt he was anything less than a capable 3rd pairing defenseman. If his abilities were really on par with the assessments of his abilities as illustrated here, he wouldn't be in his 5th full NHL season.

Don't disagree, but he's the most valuable of the tradeable Rangers and in line for a raise that the Rangers don't really have the budget to give him.
Oh I totally agree...and if it was me, I Would be trading for talent. Give me picks and talent to fill up the pool...but this is the Rangers and if Glen thinks he has a shot, he's going to pull the trigger. Not in the Neil Smith mindset, but definitely to the point that we could be screwed in the next 5 years.

Old
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
There is that belief.

You don't rebuild when you're making the playoffs while adding youth to the lineup.

You rebuild when you are struggling to earn the 8 seed.

And you can't win the Cup without getting into the playoffs.
Not going to win many Cups when Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rozsival are earning a combined 26 million in a salary cap league, either, you can count on that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote