HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Zipay, the Rangers aren't done on the trade front

Old
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 500
We shouldnt be looking to trade any of our young guys, its the overpaid underachievers that need to be gone, we aint winning **** this year in my opinion so why lose guys like Dubi?

I would love it if Sather somehow just said **** it and gave up on this year because for me no one player is going to make this team a cup contender. Would it be good to have a Kovalchuk sure but to me losing the big contracts should be the #1 priority.

Thats just what i'd like to see will it happen? no way

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:09 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Size is needed - alert the media !!!
lol.... Only been "an issue" since um... 1997 for christs sake.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
We shouldnt be looking to trade any of our young guys, its the overpaid underachievers that need to be gone
Guess which of these two groups other teams are going to want.

02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

Tkachuk to rangers E4 according to ek....

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury Fan View Post
While I could believe that the Rangers are kicking the tires of Keith Tkachuk yet again, I don't believe for a second that they're "crying out for leadership". That's Eklund ********

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
While I could believe that the Rangers are kicking the tires of Keith Tkachuk yet again, I don't believe for a second that they're "crying out for leadership". That's Eklund ********
Dude...we all know exactly why he wrote that. He read that article from Brooksy the other day. The one about the team not having any character.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I don't understand why the Rangers may be looking to do this. Does management really think this is a SC caliber team?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Dude...we all know exactly why he wrote that. He read that article from Brooksy the other day. The one about the team not having any character.
Ah, I hadn't even read that article because as soon as I saw the post about it on this board, and it said "Good Brooks article", I knew it'd probably be something ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I don't understand why the Rangers may be looking to do this. Does management really think this is a SC caliber team?
This is the other thing, though. Rental players don't make a lot of sense for the Rangers, unless they come really cheap. I'd be more inclined to think that the Rangers are looking at players who they can keep on the team for years to come and who are useful, rather than aging rentals that will probably command high draft picks as a price.

Old
02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
with the record they have...with the goalie they have...with the potential this team has why wouldn't they think so?

do you want your management team to have your loser philosophy or a winners philosophy?

btw...you realize that dolan makes a ton of money in the playoffs...if tkachuk can give the rangers another playoff round in this economic climate its worth it to dolan...

does that answer your question?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

Quote:
then what exactly should they do to make them on?

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
then what exactly should they do to make them on?
This team needs a true goal scorer which they don't have and Tkachuk is not the answer. Zherdev will be a good all around player, but he's not a 100% true sniper. Someone to build the franchise around. I'm hoping that someone like Grachev can fill that roll, but the Rangers really need a #1 winger who is dangerous. We have someone like Scott Gomez who was brought in to be a playmaker to pass to himself it seems like.

They need a PP QB, someone who can make the PP one of the best in the league. Tkachuk is not the answer to that problem either. Michael Del Zotto and Bobby Sanguinetti, we hope are the answer.

We need Chris Drury to turn into Adam Graves and start deflecting shots from the point into the net like he did so well in Buffalo.

We need an agitator. Someone like Avery but without the baggage. Tkachuk doesn't answer that problem either.

Old
02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
with the record they have...with the goalie they have...with the potential this team has why wouldn't they think so?

do you want your management team to have your loser philosophy or a winners philosophy?

btw...you realize that dolan makes a ton of money in the playoffs...if tkachuk can give the rangers another playoff round in this economic climate its worth it to dolan...

does that answer your question?
Is the short-term "success" worth the long-term risk of failure? Getting Tkachuk will probably cost the Rangers a pick or a prospect. Tkachuk will not bring this team over the hump. Personally I'd rather see a big trade that brings in a big time star (a guy to build the team around and will definitely put up 80+ points a year) than to drop some youth for a 37 yr old.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Is the short-term "success" worth the long-term risk of failure? Getting Tkachuk will probably cost the Rangers a pick or a prospect. Tkachuk will not bring this team over the hump. Personally I'd rather see a big trade that brings in a big time star (a guy to build the team around and will definitely put up 80+ points a year) than to drop some youth for a 37 yr old.
stop acting like this team is in 11th place in the division...

depending on the asset tkachuk would be an improvement over voros...right?

tkachuk alone won't put this team over the top but along with another scorer (possibly anisimov ) maybe it is enough?

btw when was the last time sather lost a trade...traded youth for a veteran?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

tkachuk alone won't put this team over the top but along with another scorer (possibly anisimov ) maybe it is enough?

Maybe the Lindros trade? 8 years ago. Even that was a move that was worth the risk, IMO.

Sather has been VERY good when it comes to trades. Someone needs to take his pen away when its time to draw up contracts.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

Erase the first 14 games and the Rangers have been pretty much on par with the Penguins, Hurricanes, and Panthers.

I hope you're right about Anisimov, and I agree that Tkachuk would definitely be an upgrade over Voros, but I'd rather give someone else a shot before we go out and trade someone away for someone who'd be here for maybe a couple years at the end of his career.

I know that JD & Co. aren't stupid and aren't going to trade Tkachuk away for any kind of trash that the Rangers have. They're going to want something decent in return.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Erase the first 14 games and the Rangers have been pretty much on par with the Penguins, Hurricanes, and Panthers.

I hope you're right about Anisimov, and I agree that Tkachuk would definitely be an upgrade over Voros, but I'd rather give someone else a shot before we go out and trade someone away for someone who'd be here for maybe a couple years at the end of his career.
Who else deserves a shot? Do tell. The Rangers arent exactly busting at the seems with NHL-ready minor league talent. Personally, I think we're rushing Anisimov at 20 years old, but I understand something needs to be done. In fact, AA is the example of "giving someone else a shot." If he doesnt work out, then its time for a trade.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Maybe the Lindros trade? 8 years ago. Even that was a move that was worth the risk, IMO.

Sather has been VERY good when it comes to trades. Someone needs to take his pen away when its time to draw up contracts.
In the long run, the Lindros trade wasn't even that painful. Hlavac went on to not do much more, Brendl was a bust, and while Johnsson played well for the Flyers, I really have a hard time believing he would have reached that potential with the Rangers and how awful their D was at the time. And the third round pick wasn't a big deal

Old
02-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
In the long run, the Lindros trade wasn't even that painful. Hlavac went on to not do much more, Brendl was a bust, and while Johnsson played well for the Flyers, I really have a hard time believing he would have reached that potential with the Rangers and how awful their D was at the time. And the third round pick wasn't a big deal
Those assets couldve been used to get higher draft picks or young prospects back. Those were 3 valuable assets that couldve been used to rebuild at a time when we needed it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Whatever we do, I hope we don't trade young talent for washed up geri-talent.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Those assets couldve been used to get higher draft picks or young prospects back. Those were 3 valuable assets that couldve been used to rebuild at a time when we needed it.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
Whatever we do, I hope we don't trade young talent for washed up geri-talent.
When was the last time that happened?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Who else deserves a shot? Do tell. The Rangers arent exactly busting at the seems with NHL-ready minor league talent. Personally, I think we're rushing Anisimov at 20 years old, but I understand something needs to be done. In fact, AA is the example of "giving someone else a shot." If he doesnt work out, then its time for a trade.
How about Parenteau? or is he on a 1 way contract?

Either way, as I said, if the Rangers are going to make a trade, don't trade for a Tkachuk unless you plan on making a big trade to bring in a young star or a star in his prime.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:32 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
When was the last time that happened?
it sorta makes me wish we had two GM's.

Sather for anything to do w/ trades b/c he has been great at that.

and anybody not named Sather for Free Agency b/c he has been the worst GM at that since the lockout.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
it sorta makes me wish we had two GM's.

Sather for anything to do w/ trades b/c he has been great at that.

and anybody not named Sather for Free Agency b/c he has been the worst GM at that since the lockout.
I'm down. As long as the second GM isn't Messier, that is.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think we have a 2nd GM - Mike Barnett.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote