HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
well, the Tigers signed Damon.

He makes the team better right now and isn't on the books past this season. Considering he isn't exactly blocking the next Mantle from making the team, I have a hard time really complaining about the deal. My only real gripe is that we have a handful of guys now who should be full-time DHs but who will be having to spend too much time in the field instead.

Old
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
My only real gripe is that they could have used this season to find out if guys like Raburn, Clete, etc can play full time, and now they're going to still lose the division and then next year they still won't know who can play and who needs to be replaced with the enormous amount of money that will be freed up next winter.

That's a long sentence, but whatever. I guess it will make the team better this year but they're still a 3rd place team at best.

Old
02-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Winger98
powers combined

I could see us letting Jackson play in Toledo for awhile (until Guillen hurts himself) and going with Raburn in center. It would take some pressure of Jackson while giving Raburn a full time shot. His defense might not be as good as Jacksons but in an outfield with Guillen/Damon in left and Ordonez in right, defense isn't a huge priority anyway.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Hook

Stuckey collapsed in the game against Cavs tonight

http://peteprose.com/2010/03/rodney-...h-during-game/

video in there if u missed it. scary stuff.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Huge win tonight by the Michigan hockey team, congrats to them. To go from where they were earlier in the season to sweeping State at Munn, clobbering Miami at the Joe, and then beating Northern tonight for the CCHA championship and an NCAA tournament auto-bid is a helluva journey. Oh, and not having the team captain through all of it? And missing your starting goaltender and having to play your 5'7" 163-pound walk-on backup? Incredible.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Yeah, they just abused Sparty in Munn during the CCHA tourney. Well, abused them while playing hockey! That was the first time I really thought they'd have a shot at winning the tournament although I still had my doubts given how good Miami has been this season. I am very happy for Shawn Hunwick, what a great job he's done and to win the MVP of the CCHA tournament is just a great story.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
HockeyinHD

I live in Oxford, OH now and you cannot overstate the sheer gut-punchedness of that Michigan defeat of Miami Friday night. People here felt (for good reason) an aura of invincibility surrounded their team, and Michigan didn't just beat them, they dominated them. Hockey's a big, big deal in town and the poor students are walking around like their Pell Grants just got denied.

I bought some tickets to the Frozen Four this year and had written off any chance of seeing Michigan, but after seeing how incredibly they've been playing for the past couple weeks I'm beginning to think they're a lock to be there.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Shoalzie

Here's USCHO.com's bracketology...

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,18483/F...rch202010.html

The CCHA was going to have 4 teams going into the conference tournament but with Michigan State's early exit, they're looking to be on the outside looking in and Michigan is in with the tournament championship. With RIT winning the Atlantic Hockey crown yesterday...Ferris might be out of the tournament as well.

It would be a tough draw to have to get by Wisconsin (and Brendan Smith) to earn a trip to Ford Field. The Badgers and Wolverines met at Camp Randall Stadium back in February where Smith scored twice in the third to get them a 3-2 win. After seeing this run through the conference tourney and beating the likes of State, Miami and Northern...you have to give them a shot winning at two games to get them in the Frozen Four. To put them in a virtual home ice advantage in Detroit, a la the Joe...anything can happen at that point.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Shoalzie

The Midwest region in Fort Wayne...Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville and Bemidji State vs. Michigan

GO BLUE!

Old
03-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I live in Oxford, OH now and you cannot overstate the sheer gut-punchedness of that Michigan defeat of Miami Friday night. People here felt (for good reason) an aura of invincibility surrounded their team, and Michigan didn't just beat them, they dominated them. Hockey's a big, big deal in town and the poor students are walking around like their Pell Grants just got denied.

I bought some tickets to the Frozen Four this year and had written off any chance of seeing Michigan, but after seeing how incredibly they've been playing for the past couple weeks I'm beginning to think they're a lock to be there.
The Michigan team has some similarities with this Red Wings team what with the struggle to make the playoffs. So it's a good sign Michigan got it done and hopefully the Wings will also punch their ticket and keep their own very long post-season streak intact.

The goaltending situation is another similar scenario - not exactly the same though. Osgood, like Bryan Hogan was the proven vet who was expected to carry the team. Both guys however struggled throughout the season. Jimmy Howard obviously got the call much earlier than Shawn Hunwick and has been one of the Red Wings' best players and is a big part of the reason why they have a great shot at making the playoffs. Likewise it is really fair to question if Michigan makes the NCAA tournament if Hogan doesn't get injured in that Notre Dame game.

Old
03-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
The Midwest region in Fort Wayne...Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville and Bemidji State vs. Michigan

GO BLUE!
This is a much better draw than many thought Michigan would have gotten. I had seen most gurus place Michigan in Massachusetts in a bracket with UND and BC. This draw is much more manageable. GO BLUE!!!

Old
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

We can easily take down Bemidji, Miami is always scary but we just manhandled them. I'm liking our chances of making it to Detroit. I need to get my Frozen Four tickets in order!

GO BLUE

Old
03-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Harnessed in Slums

The Wolverines are playing some great hockey right now, really limiting the shots on net and scoring a bunch of goals. Bemidji beat some really good teams this year - Miami, North Dakota, and Northern Michigan. The Wolverines held them to no shots on goal for nearly the first 11 minutes of the game and completely took over the contest in the third.

Today's game against Miami should be a great game.

Old
03-28-2010, 10:15 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
MSU vs TENN. at 2:20

Before the tourney people were bashing me at school for putting MSU in the finals for a 2nd year in a row (last year I guessed the 2 last teams). Boy are they feeling stupid now.

Old
03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Tigers traded Nate Robertson to the Florida Marlins for left-handed relief prospect Jay Voss today. The Tigers will also eat a chunk of Robertson's $10M salary. Bonderman and Willis will be the 4th and 5th starters.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Tigers traded Nate Robertson to the Florida Marlins for left-handed relief prospect Jay Voss today. The Tigers will also eat a chunk of Robertson's $10M salary. Bonderman and Willis will be the 4th and 5th starters.
Aaaaand.....BB Train responds by getting torched for 5 earned runs with 4 walks and a wild pitch.

I think they figured Bonine was going to be their 5th starter before long anyway, and they can always DL Willis and say he's anxious again.

Might be looking at Coke or Figaro as the 5th starter for parts of this season.

But as I said, this season is probably a wash anyway. Next season Turner and Crosby could be ready and they'll have a bunch of cash to spend on free agents. Watch them this season to see how things play out and how the kids develop - watch them next season to see them try to put together a pennant winner.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Aaaaand.....BB Train responds by getting torched for 5 earned runs with 4 walks and a wild pitch.

I think they figured Bonine was going to be their 5th starter before long anyway, and they can always DL Willis and say he's anxious again.

Might be looking at Coke or Figaro as the 5th starter for parts of this season.

But as I said, this season is probably a wash anyway. Next season Turner and Crosby could be ready and they'll have a bunch of cash to spend on free agents. Watch them this season to see how things play out and how the kids develop - watch them next season to see them try to put together a pennant winner.
It can't be too much worst than last season. I just hope the Tigers are semi-respectable in May - going to see them play the Dodgers. In theory, the Tigers have a relatively easy schedule to start the season.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Wow, the Tigers are picking up $9.6M of Robertson's $10M salary.

Old
03-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Wow, the Tigers are picking up $9.6M of Robertson's $10M salary.
Wow that looks bad. Then again, if they just cut him loose, they're on hook for all of it. At least this way they get a kid back who can maybe add some depth down the road.

04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Granderson's first AB with the Yankees? Absolutely crushes a pitch to right-center.... at least 400 feet. It just didn't look right. I miss him already.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Reality Check

I still question Granderson's defense(outside of the amazing catch) and his liability against LH.

I liked him but didn't view him as untouchable.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:58 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I still question Granderson's defense(outside of the amazing catch) and his liability against LH.

If Jackson and Scherzer have good seasons, most people will stop whining about Granderson. If not, then the whining will continue unabated. That's the bottom line.

When everyone loves a certain player, they overlook that player's weaknesses.

I'd rather see Jackson score 100 runs and steal 30 bases than see Granderson hit 30 homers and strike out 170 times. And take a step in on every ball that ends up going over his head.

Old
04-05-2010, 01:03 AM
kozie13

Washington Redskins got McNabb today, which means they prolly won't be a candidate to trade draft picks with the Leos later this month... too bad.

Old
04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post

People are so enamored with his personality that they're willing to overlook the massive flaws in his game. The trade was absolutely the right move and every analyst in the game agrees on that front.

Old
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Winger98
powers combined

And the Tigers tie for the lead in the central division!

Closed Thread