HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Shoalzie

vCash: 500
This season is holding to form...no more than a 3 game streak in either direction. Outside of Boston, there really isn't dominant team in the AL in the early going. There are 7 of the 14 AL teams within a game of .500 and 8 of the 16 NL are within two games of .500...a lot of parity in the first month of the season. As long as the Tigers can avoid a prolonged slump, they'll stay in the race throughout the season.

Old
05-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Verlander tossed a complete game, two hit shutout with 11 Ks tonight. He has been a monster his last few starts and appears to be back on the track he was one a couple of years ago before his miserable last season.

Also, saw Bonderman could soon start his 30 day re-hab assignment soon and Willis will make his first start of the season this Wednesday against the Twins. If just one of those guys can return to form (let alone both of them), our rotation will be a scary thing for other teams to face - especially if the Tigers somehow make the playoffs.

Old
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Winger98
powers combined

wow. Wings win an OT playoff game and Dontrelle Willis has a line of 6.1 ip, 1H, 2BB, 5K and 0ER for his first win as a Tiger.

Old
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
YzermanWings19

Very impressive game from the Tigers tonight. 1 hitter wonderful.

Just me, or do they always beat the Rangers?

Old
05-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by YzermanWings19 View Post

They do... and they always lose to the Twins.

Old
05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
wow. Wings win an OT playoff game and Dontrelle Willis has a line of 6.1 ip, 1H, 2BB, 5K and 0ER for his first win as a Tiger.
This proves my terrible knowledge when it comes to baseball.. I have no clue what those things mean

Old
05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YzermanWings19 View Post

However, the Rangers usually aren't a first place team either. That was a quality win last night for the Tigers. The Royals and Tigers are starting to put a little distance between them and the field in the Central.

Old
05-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Nice series sweep for the Tigers. If the pitching holds up like this for the entire year the playoffs are a definite possibility. Also, Maggs starting to hit would be a great addition.

Old
05-22-2009, 12:09 AM
YzermanWings19

11 straight over the Rangers. Can we schedule 162 games against them?

Old
05-22-2009, 09:53 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
However, the Rangers usually aren't a first place team either. That was a quality win last night for the Tigers. The Royals and Tigers are starting to put a little distance between them and the field in the Central.
I don't want to jinx it, but the Royals are as close to 4th place as they are to 1st. GREAT week for the Tigers and the Royals finally hit a cold stretch.

Old
06-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Winger98
powers combined

When are we going to admit that the Dontrelle Willis experiment is over? The guy is killing us every five days.

Old
06-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Quote:
When are we going to admit that the Dontrelle Willis experiment is over? The guy is killing us every five days.
Probably when Galaragga, Miner, or Bonderman (not until at least September) prove they can take the spot in the rotation. Lame. Though, Freddy Garcia is now available and I would have no problem with the Tigers taking a chance on him.

EDIT: Take that back. Apparently he just recently signed with the White Sox. Whoops.

Old
06-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Probably when Galaragga, Miner, or Bonderman (not until at least September) prove they can take the spot in the rotation. Lame. Though, Freddy Garcia is now available and I would have no problem with the Tigers taking a chance on him.

EDIT: Take that back. Apparently he just recently signed with the White Sox. Whoops.
Galaragga's been brutal for awhile, too. At this point, though, I'd just move Miner up and see what he can do. He doesn't have to be great, just better than Willis - which is a pretty low bar to clear. Considering what's needed, a back of the rotation starter, I'd give Pedro Martinez a look. He'd only cost money, he wouldn't have to pitch the whole year (so less likely to wear down), and their is the possibility of a high reward.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
sarcastro

Stuff I would to do to fix the Tigers:

Option Willis to Oneonta. If he refuses, release him.
Put Armando in the bullpen.
Give Nasty Nate one more crack at a rotation spot. If he still sucks, DFA him.
Call up Luke French or Alfredo Figaro and give them a crack at the 5th slot. Can't be any worse than Armando or the BB Train.
Leave Miner in the BP. We will need him ready to pitch 4 or 5 innings if one of our back end starters can't get out of the 2nd.
Call up Dusty Ryan and see if he can hit anything. If he can, send Sardinha back down.
Call up Ramirez again and let him play some LF.
Offer Magglio a 2 year $10m extension. If he turns it down, release him outright. I know he's not worth close to that, but it would cost them less than the Boras lawsuit they're going to get hit with when they release him in July. Once he signs it, DFA him.
Move Polanco down in the order. 7th or 8th would be best.
Call up Ryan Strieby and see if he can hit ML pitching.
Call up Scott Sizemore and see if he can hit ML pitching.
Call up Fu Te Ni and see if he can get ML batters out.

Optimal Tigers roster at this point, if you remove all the guys with unmovable, bloated contracts:

Laird
Ryan
Cabrera
Polanco
Everett
Inge
Ramirez
Granderson
Thames
Santiago
Anderson
Larish
Sizemore
Strieby

Verlander
Jackson
Porcello
Figaro/French
Robertson
Miner
Rodney
Zumaya
Ni
Seay/Lyon
Galarraga

Old
06-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Quote:
Galaragga's been brutal for awhile, too. At this point, though, I'd just move Miner up and see what he can do. He doesn't have to be great, just better than Willis - which is a pretty low bar to clear. Considering what's needed, a back of the rotation starter, I'd give Pedro Martinez a look. He'd only cost money, he wouldn't have to pitch the whole year (so less likely to wear down), and their is the possibility of a high reward.
I fully agree with this. I have always liked Pedro and since attaining him would cost no assets (except for moolah), I am all for it.

Old
06-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Stuff I would to do to fix the Tigers:

Option Willis to Oneonta. If he refuses, release him.
Put Armando in the bullpen.
Give Nasty Nate one more crack at a rotation spot. If he still sucks, DFA him.
Call up Luke French or Alfredo Figaro and give them a crack at the 5th slot. Can't be any worse than Armando or the BB Train.
Leave Miner in the BP. We will need him ready to pitch 4 or 5 innings if one of our back end starters can't get out of the 2nd.
Call up Dusty Ryan and see if he can hit anything. If he can, send Sardinha back down.Call up Ramirez again and let him play some LF.
Offer Magglio a 2 year $10m extension. If he turns it down, release him outright. I know he's not worth close to that, but it would cost them less than the Boras lawsuit they're going to get hit with when they release him in July. Once he signs it, DFA him.
Move Polanco down in the order. 7th or 8th would be best.
Call up Ryan Strieby and see if he can hit ML pitching.
Call up Scott Sizemore and see if he can hit ML pitching.

Call up Fu Te Ni and see if he can get ML batters out.
Looks like some of your predictions are coming true, Sarcastro. Figaro had a respectable first start yesterday and Ryan got the bat on the ball - something neither Treynor or Sardinha had been able to do. And Magglio has been benched as Leyland is "trying something."

I'm wondering how long before Magglio's cut. The Tigers are winning without him and, despite Boras's mouthing off, his power numbers are down across the board. He's got his RBIs because he can still make contact and the guys ahead of him are getting on base but he's not being paid to hit like Polanco. If he's going to become a slap hitter, he's going to have to get paid like one.

On the Strieby/Sizemore front, I've read that they're trying to work Strieby out in left field. While his bat could be a welcomed blessing, I'd be willing to wait on him if it means he learns to play the outfield to at least an average level. And Sizemore's defense scares me but, again, a good bat.

I think the next couple of weeks could be big. We have a homestand while the Twins go on the road. If trends continue, we could open up a respectable lead on them.

Old
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Looks like some of your predictions are coming true, Sarcastro. Figaro had a respectable first start yesterday and Ryan got the bat on the ball - something neither Treynor or Sardinha had been able to do. And Magglio has been benched as Leyland is "trying something."

I'm wondering how long before Magglio's cut. The Tigers are winning without him and, despite Boras's mouthing off, his power numbers are down across the board. He's got his RBIs because he can still make contact and the guys ahead of him are getting on base but he's not being paid to hit like Polanco. If he's going to become a slap hitter, he's going to have to get paid like one.

On the Strieby/Sizemore front, I've read that they're trying to work Strieby out in left field. While his bat could be a welcomed blessing, I'd be willing to wait on him if it means he learns to play the outfield to at least an average level. And Sizemore's defense scares me but, again, a good bat.

I think the next couple of weeks could be big. We have a homestand while the Twins go on the road. If trends continue, we could open up a respectable lead on them.
I'm sure it's a coincidence that the Tigers suddenly figure out how to hit again, rattle off 4 wins in a row, and sweep a good Brewers club the very instant that Maggs is benched.

Who the hell is Don Kelly, by the way?!? And it's total BS that his diving catch didn't make top plays or web gems or even get mentioned in the game highlights on ESPN.

They would probably like to keep Maggs around for the clubhouse vibe, but if it means risking that option vesting for next year, they have to dump him, no question.

The Tigers' play against the Central will decide their fate the rest of the way. They're going to get crunched by the East, but they should come close to evening that out against the West. The only West team that really gives the Tigers fits is the Angels, and they're done playing them this year. That leaves the Central, and that's where the Tigers play 47 of their remaining 95 games, including all of their final 19 games - staggering.

If the Tigers break even against the Sox, Royals, and Indians, and win at least 7 of their 13 against the Twins, I think they win the division. If they end up with a 4-9 record in those games they're going to need to absolutely destroy the rest of the division.

Those last 19 games are going to be absolutely HUGE. The Tigers do have the last 7 games at home, which is a good sign, but still...

Last edited by sarcastro: 06-22-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old
06-22-2009, 01:12 PM
sarcastro

Just noticed another interesting stat:

Only the Pirates have played more away games than the Tigers so far, and only the Pirates have played fewer home games.

Old
06-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Winger98
powers combined

without looking it up, I think Don Kelly was a waiver or minor league free agent pickup. I don't believe he was part of any larger trade but was one of those small moves that DD seems to hit out of the park. DD is just insane at bargain hunting (Guillen, Galaragg and Jackson were all smaller deals), it's the extensions/big trades he seems to swing and whiff on. I think he and the scouts are building an underrated minor league system, too.

And no doubt about it, the schedule will be huge down the stretch. I like us against KC and Cleveland, though the ChiSox and Twins always give us fits. It'd be a massive boost if Figaro can be consistant for us in that fifth spot.

Old
06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
sarcastro

Now if only they can find someone for that fourth spot....

Old
06-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

I bet that's the last change-up we see from Zoom for a while. Awesome walk-off win for the Tigers last night. Ryan Raburn!! What a pinch-hit bomb!

Old
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Detroit Pistons breaking news!

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...chael_cur.html

Quote:
Pistons fire coach Michael Curry after one season

AUBURN HILLS -- The never-ending carousel of coaches for the Detroit Pistons continues with the announcement that head coach Michael Curry has been fired.

"This was a difficult decision to make," said Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations. "I want to thank Michael for his hard work and dedication to the organization. However, at this time, I have decided to make a change."

Curry went 39-43 in his first season in Detroit and the Pistons were swept out of the first round of the playoffs by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Dumars fired coach Flip Saunders last year after he led the team to the Eastern Conference finals in each of his three seasons.

Old
07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Shoalzie

Dumars gets a lot of leash considering he's won a title as a GM and he's a former player with rings...but that was crap move on his part to dump Curry at the last minute before free agency began. He essentially left him at the alter instead of breaking it off earlier...like say, before the draft. This type of back-stabbing wouldn't happen with the Wings...

Stayed away from here for a little while but it's nice to see the Tigers hanging onto first in the Central in spite of the fact they're a flawed team in an even more flawed division. That series at the Triple H Dome looms large as we get closer to the All-Star break. That matchup Friday seems very lopsided with French making his debut against a 10-game winner in Slowey. Nice matchups the rest of the weekend with Jackson-Liriano on Saturday and Porcello-Blackburn on Sunday. Almost wish they'd opt for French to start today in Oakland and move Verlander to Friday to face Slowey in a key divisional game on the road. Galarraga has looked better in his last couple starts but he's got a bit of the 'Bondermans' with having ugly first innings.

Old
07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
Is anyone else embarrassed by how bad the Tigers are? No Ilitch owned team that has wide open pockets should be this pathetic. I mean 4, 2-1 losses since the all-star break, lordy!

FIRE DUMBrowski!

Old
08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Winger98
powers combined

well, those horrible Tigers are still in first place. They picked up a quality lefty to fill out the top of end of their rotation with Verlander and Jackson. They just picked up a respectable left-handed bat to make the offense less pathetic. And they went over slot to sign some great picks from this past draft (Turner, Oliver and Fields).

This is a flawed team. No one doubts that. But they are putting together one very good year when a lot of people expected them to finish, at best, 3rd in the division. And, over the next couple of seasons, they will likely get younger, better and lose some of the bad contracts they're currently saddled with. I like where the Tigers are and where they're going.

Closed Thread