HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Vlasic vs. Schenn

View Poll Results: Vlasic vs. Schenn
Vlasic 61 49.59%
Schenn 57 46.34%
Even 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Didn't know we had a member of the Maple Leafs on these boards!

That is probably as equal an indication of the Leafs's locker room as it is of Schenn's leadership ability.
There have been direct quotes from teammates, including newly acquired Brad May who is now very close (and living with) Schenn. I'm not sure I understand your last sentence, but if it was a shot at the leadership on the Leafs, I'll have to disagree as we have quite a few good character guys (May, Moore, Kubina, Antropov) we just lack that true standout leader, which Schenn is shaping up to be.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Nashology

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Vlasic is better than Schenn right now but Schenn will surpass Vlasic in all aspects of the game over the long haul.
Yeah...no.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Joey Moss

Vlasic easily, and in the future.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:03 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
There have been direct quotes from teammates, including newly acquired Brad May who is now very close (and living with) Schenn. I'm not sure I understand your last sentence, but if it was a shot at the leadership on the Leafs, I'll have to disagree as we have quite a few good character guys (May, Moore, Kubina, Antropov) we just lack that true standout leader, which Schenn is shaping up to be.
I guess what I am saying is that 19-year-old, first-year NHLers shouldn't have to be leaders in the lockerroom. If anything, they should (have to) just shut up and listen.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:25 AM
suprvilce

suprvilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
I watched a few of Schenn's games, and while I agree he has untapped offensive potential, I think he can get 20-30 points, at best. He wasn't exactly an offensive dynamo in juniors, as well.
Neither were Shea Weber or Phaneuf at 18 years old...

Weber: 32 points in 60 games (Kelowna)
Phaneuf: 30 points in 71 games (Red Deer)

Schenn: 28 points in 58 games (Kelowna)

Schenn has a great skillset. He can undress players and stick handle like a forward. Had he been in the WHL this season, there's no question that he would probably hit 40-50 points. Then, fans who don't watch him play in other markets could no longer claim that he has limited offensive upside.

In his prime, I would not be surprised if he hits 40 points consistently.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
I guess what I am saying is that 19-year-old, first-year NHLers shouldn't have to be leaders in the lockerroom. If anything, they should (have to) just shut up and listen.
No one questioned Johnny Toews, Sidney Crosby, or similar young new players for being leaders.

Old
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Vlasic

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:21 PM
suprvilce

Who is better i do not know. I have seen Schenn about twice on online game streams and never seen Vlasic. And i can't get my opinion on any of them through second hand aka what you wrote here. So i will not vote. But let me tell you one thing, when you judge future, PLEASE OH PLEASE be aware that when you are just a tiny bit of a homer or don't like one guy, overrate/underrate, your future prediction will go far into that same way and you'll be completly off.

Last edited by suprvilce: 02-02-2009 at 01:35 PM.
suprvilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

I dunno. Schenn is one tough mother****er, but Vlasic is clearly further ahead in his development.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
No one questioned Johnny Toews, Sidney Crosby, or similar young new players for being leaders.
They should have. Crosby was on a young team, so it might have been excusable, but what business does an NHL rookie have leading a group of NHL vets? IMO, Crosby got the "C" so early moreso because of what he is, and not what his leadership ability is.

Old
02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Both guys are good players, and they bring a bit of a different game. I picked Vlasic, as he has a pretty solid complete game, but I like how Schenn has played at such a young age.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
They should have. Crosby was on a young team, so it might have been excusable, but what business does an NHL rookie have leading a group of NHL vets? IMO, Crosby got the "C" so early moreso because of what he is, and not what his leadership ability is.
Well, it certainly didn't slow him down, or stop his team from reaching the SC Finals, so other than your opinion I don't see what it is that should make Schenn "shut up" in the locker room?

Old
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
AK

Luke.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:28 AM
g3ryder

I have to say I'm somewhat surprised Schenn is winning this poll. Vlasic is a 21 year old defenseman who leads one of the league's best teams in minutes, is on pace for a 40 point season, while at the same time playing great defense against other teams' top lines.

While what Schenn is doing this year is very impressive, there just aren't many 21 year old guys who can do what Vlasic is doing. The guy came into the league at 19, playing 20+ minutes a game for a PLAYOFF TEAM, while putting up a respectable 26 points. Schenn is doing all this on a rebuilding team that can afford to allow young guys to play and develop.

I don't know if this is just me, but I think that the fact that Vlasic was a second-rounder and plays on a West Coast team has made him into one of the more underrated players in the league right now. Just because Vlasic's hit totals aren't big doesn't mean the guy can't play a tough game. I'd much rather have him out there for 25+ minutes a night, shutting down other teams, while picking up a few points, then have him in the box after a boarding penalty.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:48 AM
guest1467

I'll take Vlasic now, but Schenn for the long term. Schenn to me, has the potential to be a cornerstone defensemen for many years to come, while Vlasic is going to have a good career but will never be a top flight defensemen.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
polmaniac932

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I'll take Vlasic now, but Schenn for the long term. Schenn to me, has the potential to be a cornerstone defensemen for many years to come, while Vlasic is going to have a good career but will never be a top flight defensemen.
Ouch. Shouldn't have said that.

polmaniac932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
I think Vlasic already is a top-flight defenseman...

Old
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
I think Vlasic already is a top-flight defenseman...
I was going to say this

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:17 AM
matt trick

Quote:

21 years old. Leads the #1 team in the league in minutes. Is the first PK option and leads the team in EV minutes. On pace for 40 minutes. Plays the second most PP minutes (behind Boyle). He has taken 10 minors playing against the top forwards in the league (3 were roughing).

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:22 AM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3ryder View Post
I have to say I'm somewhat surprised Schenn is winning this poll. Vlasic is a 21 year old defenseman who leads one of the league's best teams in minutes, is on pace for a 40 point season, while at the same time playing great defense against other teams' top lines.

While what Schenn is doing this year is very impressive, there just aren't many 21 year old guys who can do what Vlasic is doing. The guy came into the league at 19, playing 20+ minutes a game for a PLAYOFF TEAM, while putting up a respectable 26 points. Schenn is doing all this on a rebuilding team that can afford to allow young guys to play and develop.

I don't know if this is just me, but I think that the fact that Vlasic was a second-rounder and plays on a West Coast team has made him into one of the more underrated players in the league right now. Just because Vlasic's hit totals aren't big doesn't mean the guy can't play a tough game. I'd much rather have him out there for 25+ minutes a night, shutting down other teams, while picking up a few points, then have him in the box after a boarding penalty.
Righttttttt, because Schenn is a dirty player =/

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:49 AM
g3ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysense View Post
Righttttttt, because Schenn is a dirty player =/
Since when does a boarding penalty automatically equal dirty player???

Schenn plays a physical game, and with that style of play, you are naturally gonna get a few boarding calls here and there. His style of play is much more conducive to these types of calls. There was zero implication of him being a dirty player.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Let's redo this poll in two more years so we can see how far Schenn is along in his development. Until then, you have to take the guy who's already a number one defenseman.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

lol I've seen both of these players. Vlasic is a better player in all aspects outside of physical play and there are no signs that Schenn is going to surpass Vlasic at all. Yes, Schenn has a high ceiling but I think people don't really understand how high of a ceiling Vlasic has.

Vlasic is only 21. Does anyone remember what he was doing in his first year in the league? I can tell you this much, he was playing a hell of a lot better than Schenn currently is. People need to watch the Sharks more often back East. Stay up a little later.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote