HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

General Help Needed

Old
02-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Backlund60

vCash: 500
General Help Needed

Hi all,
I'm 18 and from Australia only my first year of ice hockey playing on the left wing, only a few games left during our Summer season which is sort of a fun, less competitive than our Winter season. I'am hoping to play our highest level of juniors during winter but have a few problems in my game lately.

I have been having alot of problems with my skating mostly stopping where it seems that i use my back leg too much, resulting in me not having alot of control with my stops. Is there any tips that would help me? Also I seem to have my stick lifted pretty easy when I'am in front of the net, again is there any tips that might help me?

I cant complain about my year so far other than my lack of goal scoring which is mainly due to confidence I feel has been terrible, 1 goal in 9 games and I almost lead the team in shots on goal. I have no idea what I'am doing wrong, I'm guessing im not getting much luck so far!

Thanks for reading! Hope you can help me out!

Chris

Backlund60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
xstartxtodayx

I'm no expert but I'll try to give some advice the best I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund60 View Post
I have been having alot of problems with my skating mostly stopping where it seems that i use my back leg too much, resulting in me not having alot of control with my stops. Is there any tips that would help me?
Practice practice practice, it will come in time. Try to go to as many open skates and sessions as possible and work on your weakest traits such as stopping on your front foot. One trick is what some people do when their skates are a bit too sharp for them, stand facing the bench and hold the top while leaning slightly over, then push each foot outwards shaving the ice (this is the same concept as stopping on your outer foot), do that for a while on each foot til you get the feel for it then go and do some stop/starts while skating and try to stop on just your front foot while lifting your rear foot. I don't know what else to suggest but I'm sure someone else can chime in with some other suggestions.

Quote:
Also I seem to have my stick lifted pretty easy when I'am in front of the net, again is there any tips that might help me?
wrist/forearm strength. This wasn't such an issue back when I grew up b/c there was no such thing as lightweight composite sticks, we all used heavy wood sticks. I'dsuggest strengthening your grip and mayve even switching to a wood stick, or heavy stick, for practices or maybe even some games (you may even like the feel better). Other than that you just have to mentally train yourself to keep your stick on the ice as much as possible and to be strong with it so those unexpected stick checks aren't such a big deal.

Quote:
I cant complain about my year so far other than my lack of goal scoring which is mainly due to confidence I feel has been terrible, 1 goal in 9 games and I almost lead the team in shots on goal. I have no idea what I'am doing wrong, I'm guessing im not getting much luck so far!
Well you're shooting the puck and that's the most important thing. Maybe try not to think as much when you're shooting... sometimes if you're trying too hard to score you become your own worst enemy. Aiming for corners, trying to see where the goalie is leaning, etc etc is all good when you're at a higher level and have that goal scorers touch but since it's your first year and you're still trying to get the feel for scoring I'd say just shoot shoot shoot and try not to overthink it, just let them rip like you've been doing and try your best to follow through for any rebounds, the goals will come in time.

Good luck with everything.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm 18 and from Australia only my first year of ice hockey playing on the left wing, only a few games left during our Summer season which is sort of a fun, less competitive than our Winter season. I'am hoping to play our highest level of juniors during winter but have a few problems in my game lately.

I have been having alot of problems with my skating mostly stopping where it seems that i use my back leg too much, resulting in me not having alot of control with my stops. Is there any tips that would help me?
Your front foot should be doing most of the work with your back foot just making sure you don't fall backwards. When preparing to stop, bend your knees, make a quick 90-degree twist of your hips, scrape the ice with the inside edge of your "front" skate. Ever slide across a linoleum floor in your stocking feet? It's the same move.

Quote:
Also I seem to have my stick lifted pretty easy when I'am in front of the net, again is there any tips that might help me?
One idea is to keep skating, circling around the slot making sure to find open passing lanes between you and the puck carrier. A moving player is harder to obstruct. You can press down on your stick with your lower hand so an opponent can't lift it but it will be a reall battle to get a shot off. You could always take the pass off your skate and kick it up to your stick. It might confuse your defender and give you an extra moment to shoot.

Quote:

Chris
Quality vs. quantity? It's always good to get the puck on net but if you're getting so many chances you might be shooting too quickly and not taking the time to make your shot count.

1. Are you drawing the puck back and putting some power behind it or does the puck trickle toward the goalmouth?
2. Are you aiming for empty space or are you firing it into the goalie's chest?
3. Are you shooting the puck when you could pass to an open team mate who has a better angle/opportunity?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
BadHammy*

Practice more and play more. For help stopping, try to build more calf, ankle and upper leg strength.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:01 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Hi all,

I have been having alot of problems with my skating mostly stopping where it seems that i use my back leg too much, resulting in me not having alot of control with my stops. Is there any tips that would help me? Also I seem to have my stick lifted pretty easy when I'am in front of the net, again is there any tips that might help me?

Chris
That's an odd stopping problem to have, most people including myself put too much weight on their front leg.

Just remember if you keep working hard you'll start putting pucks in the net. The harder you work the better your luck.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Backlund60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Your front foot should be doing most of the work with your back foot just making sure you don't fall backwards. When preparing to stop, bend your knees, make a quick 90-degree twist of your hips, scrape the ice with the inside edge of your "front" skate. Ever slide across a linoleum floor in your stocking feet? It's the same move.

One idea is to keep skating, circling around the slot making sure to find open passing lanes between you and the puck carrier. A moving player is harder to obstruct. You can press down on your stick with your lower hand so an opponent can't lift it but it will be a reall battle to get a shot off. You could always take the pass off your skate and kick it up to your stick. It might confuse your defender and give you an extra moment to shoot.
Thanks I will give it a shot!

Quote:
Quality vs. quantity? It's always good to get the puck on net but if you're getting so many chances you might be shooting too quickly and not taking the time to make your shot count.

1. Are you drawing the puck back and putting some power behind it or does the puck trickle toward the goalmouth?
2. Are you aiming for empty space or are you firing it into the goalie's chest?
3. Are you shooting the puck when you could pass to an open team mate who has a better angle/opportunity?
The shots have power behind them, at training I do alot of shooting work and I seem to find alot of my shots go wide or off the goal post where basically all the time I'am going for that high glove high blocker whichever side is more open, in a game I think the mind set changes, when there is more pressure alot of pucks seem to find the goalies chest, for example yesterday I had 6 shots 2 hit the goal post, 3 hit the goalie in the chest and the other 1 was hit away with the blocker. Because of the quality of the team and league passing sometimes is not an option which is a shame the team does have a few players that go from coast to coast without passing but I always try to pass it off if i can

Thanks for your help!

Old
02-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Backlund60

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
I'm no expert but I'll try to give some advice the best I can...

Practice practice practice, it will come in time. Try to go to as many open skates and sessions as possible and work on your weakest traits such as stopping on your front foot. One trick is what some people do when their skates are a bit too sharp for them, stand facing the bench and hold the top while leaning slightly over, then push each foot outwards shaving the ice (this is the same concept as stopping on your outer foot), do that for a while on each foot til you get the feel for it then go and do some stop/starts while skating and try to stop on just your front foot while lifting your rear foot. I don't know what else to suggest but I'm sure someone else can chime in with some other suggestions.

wrist/forearm strength. This wasn't such an issue back when I grew up b/c there was no such thing as lightweight composite sticks, we all used heavy wood sticks. I'dsuggest strengthening your grip and mayve even switching to a wood stick, or heavy stick, for practices or maybe even some games (you may even like the feel better). Other than that you just have to mentally train yourself to keep your stick on the ice as much as possible and to be strong with it so those unexpected stick checks aren't such a big deal.

Well you're shooting the puck and that's the most important thing. Maybe try not to think as much when you're shooting... sometimes if you're trying too hard to score you become your own worst enemy. Aiming for corners, trying to see where the goalie is leaning, etc etc is all good when you're at a higher level and have that goal scorers touch but since it's your first year and you're still trying to get the feel for scoring I'd say just shoot shoot shoot and try not to overthink it, just let them rip like you've been doing and try your best to follow through for any rebounds, the goals will come in time.

Good luck with everything.
Ice time is pretty hard considering we only have one rink I can only spend about 3 hours not including game time a week on there but thanks for the help mate! Appreciate it alot.

Chris

Old
02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Hi all,
Ok, does this mean you have only played ice hockey for 1 year and you are left wing? Does this mean you have played other positions and this is the first time you played left wing? Does this mean you have played roller hockey if you are having problems stopping?

Quote:
Well, Stopping is just a matter of shift gravity! Let me explain....
When you skate, you bend your knees...right? This provides you with a lower center of gravity.

As you skate, all you have to do to stop is go from a bent knee position to a more upright position. As you stand, that center of gravity move up to your chest.

In the process of moving that center of gravity up to your chest, start a simple snow plow on the lead skate. Then bend your knees to lower that center of gravity.

The faster you bend your knees, the fast the center of gravity comes down, the faster you will stop.

If you want to stop slowly, lower that center of gravity slower by bending those knees slower...get it, pretty easy! Do this both ways, so you get use to stopping correctly on both sides.

Quote:
Well, you are always going to have this problem. If you have a good defensemen on your A**, his job is to keep your stick up so you can't deflect the puck or shoot the puck from rebounds.

The trick is not so much keeping your stick down as it is spinning out of the man coverage. Yes keeping your stick on the ice help with the deflection. But, If you are being clutched in the slot, reposition yourself away from the coverage. However, keep your eye on the puck! Team mates have a tendency not to care if you are standing in front of their high shot.

The only thing they will say when they hit you is get out of the way next time, rather then place the puck on the ice for a deflection. It always amazes me when I ask players that. They always feel that they are in the right and not really thinking that it is physically impossible to get the puck through a body, let alone a goalie pad.

The best way to get the puck in the net is on the ice....go figure!

Hope this helps
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote