HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ian Lapperriere

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2009, 08:18 AM
  #1
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
Infer-Action!!!
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 14,671
vCash: 7757
Ian Lapperriere

I was reading Spectors Trade Rumors, and he suggested that the Rangers need "character" guys, and would be willing to part with picks/prospects to get them.

What would you folks give for Ian Lapperriere? He's a leader and a character...

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:20 AM
  #2
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,635
vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't see what role he would fill or whose spot he would take in the lineup

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:29 AM
  #3
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,525
vCash: 500
was mad when he was dealt away...........they made so many dumb moves for older players back then

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
  #4
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
another bottom 6 guy is exactly what we need.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
  #5
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
As already said where do we put him?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
  #6
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
we don't need character players we need skill players.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
  #7
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
uhh....i would love for the rangers to grab this guy. Put him in voros' spot and the team is instantly better. He is a better fighter, goal scorer and overall player. Along with the fact that the guy is a leader and has been to the playoffs numerous times and battles every shift. If Sather could get him for relatively cheap he would be a great addition and a great way to get voros out of the lineup.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
  #8
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,847
vCash: 50
Awards:
Replace Voros or even Sjostrom with him and it's an improvement. That said, I wouldn't give much up for him.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
  #9
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Replace Voros or even Sjostrom with him and it's an improvement. That said, I wouldn't give much up for him.
Voros yes, but I disagree about Sjostrom. Sjo has been a phenomenal PKer for us this year and at least brings some speed to the 4th line. Put Laperriere on a line with Orr and you've got one of the slowest lines in the league.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
  #10
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
He's a character alright...but again, not sure what exactly trading for him does. Yeah, he's an improvement over Voros, but Lapperiere, if I remember correctly, is best served playing the center position, not wing, and the Rangers really do not need a third line centerman.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
  #11
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,847
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Voros yes, but I disagree about Sjostrom. Sjo has been a phenomenal PKer for us this year and at least brings some speed to the 4th line. Put Laperriere on a line with Orr and you've got one of the slowest lines in the league.
Point taken.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
  #12
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me why we would even think about a 35 year old, undersized 3rd/4th liner who plays our organization's deepest position? Simply 'cause he's a bit of a character? No thanks.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
  #13
Nick00
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Can someone explain to me why we would even think about a 35 year old, undersized 3rd/4th liner who plays our organization's deepest position?
Because we're the Rangers!

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
  #14
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
Because we're the Rangers!
wrong. it's because we're not the Doug MacLean Bluejackets. we're a team that's in a playoff position, and has aspirations of winning playoff series (I'm talking about management and not the fans).

those types of teams aren't scared of picking up 35 year old players at the deadline. those types of teams don't discount attributes like character and leadership. notice the Devils picked up Shanahan, and the Sharks picked up Claude Lemieux.

I would gladly sit Voros, Sjostrom, Orr, or Dawes for him.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
  #15
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
wrong. it's because we're not the Doug MacLean Bluejackets. we're a team that's in a playoff position, and has aspirations of winning playoff series (I'm talking about management and not the fans).

those types of teams aren't scared of picking up 35 year old players at the deadline. those types of teams don't discount attributes like character and leadership. notice the Devils picked up Shanahan, and the Sharks picked up Claude Lemieux.

I would gladly sit Voros, Sjostrom, Orr, or Dawes for him.
They're all wings. Laperierre is a center.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
  #16
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
They're all wings. Laperierre is a center.
He can play wing (and has a lot for Colorado).

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
  #17
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,847
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
They're all wings. Laperierre is a center.
He also plays wing, FWIW.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
  #18
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Fine, he can play wing. That doesn't change the fact that shuffling 3rd/4th liners is pointless on this team. Can I see them trading a redundant winger/3rd round pick for an aging top 6 rental like Tkachuk? Sure. And if the price isn't too high, I can't really criticize. But to give up any kind of asset for a career fourth liner, when we already have too many of those guys? What kind of impact is he going to have? C'mon. BAD idea.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
  #19
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
wrong. it's because we're not the Doug MacLean Bluejackets. we're a team that's in a playoff position, and has aspirations of winning playoff series (I'm talking about management and not the fans).

those types of teams aren't scared of picking up 35 year old players at the deadline. those types of teams don't discount attributes like character and leadership. notice the Devils picked up Shanahan, and the Sharks picked up Claude Lemieux.

I would gladly sit Voros, Sjostrom, Orr, or Dawes for him.
Note that neither of those players cost their new teams anything in terms of players or picks.

Note as well that those two guys have combined for over 2,100 points over the course of their careers. Laperriere has scored more than 30 points in a season ONCE.

If we're going to give up assets, how about doing it for a guy who can actually address this team's most glaring weakness -- offense.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
  #20
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Fine, he can play wing. That doesn't change the fact that shuffling 3rd/4th liners is pointless on this team.
if we had a player that was like Lapperriere in our bottom six, that would be a great point.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
  #21
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Note that neither of those players cost their new teams anything in terms of players or picks.
don't see how that affects my argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Note as well that those two guys have combined for over 2,100 points over the course of their careers. Laperriere has scored more than 30 points in a season ONCE.
who the **** cares though. neither Shanahan nor Lemieux are going to score 2,100 points this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
If we're going to give up assets, how about doing it for a guy who can actually address this team's most glaring weakness -- offense.
they absolutely should be addressing the offense. getting Laperriere doesn't prevent them from doing so in the slightest..

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:58 PM
  #22
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
if we had a player that was like Lapperriere in our bottom six, that would be a great point.
Oh please. Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
  #23
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
wrong. it's because we're not the Doug MacLean Bluejackets. we're a team that's in a playoff position, and has aspirations of winning playoff series (I'm talking about management and not the fans).

those types of teams aren't scared of picking up 35 year old players at the deadline. those types of teams don't discount attributes like character and leadership. notice the Devils picked up Shanahan, and the Sharks picked up Claude Lemieux.

I would gladly sit Voros, Sjostrom, Orr, or Dawes for him.
Sure. Could it be another 35 year old player though? heres a winger with 4 goals all of last year. I mean, Recchi is on the block, Tkachuk is on the block, there are guys that could actually make an mpact come playoff time.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
  #24
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
don't see how that affects my argument.
It absolutely does, because if you're giving up assets then that makes it a much greater risk. If Lemiuex or Shanahan don't pan out then the Sharks and Devils haven't lost anything.

Quote:
who the **** cares though. neither Shanahan nor Lemieux are going to score 2,100 points this season.
Really, they won't??

The point is that Lemieux and Shanahan were both game breaking players and their new teams are hoping that they'll still be able to provide a spark to the offense. What would Laperriere be able to do? He's a career fourth liner.

Quote:
they absolutely should be addressing the offense. getting Laperriere doesn't prevent them from doing so in the slightest..
Actually it does, for the same reason stated above. Not only would Laperriere be taking up more cap space (he's making over a million dollars this season), but you'd be spending assets (picks, players) that could be used elsewhere to acquire a player who might be able to actually help the team.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
  #25
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
It absolutely does, because if you're giving up assets then that makes it a much greater risk. If Lemiuex or Shanahan don't pan out then the Sharks and Devils haven't lost anything.
I'm arguing that Laperriere would serve a purpose on this team, not that he's necessarily worth the price that it would cost (whatever that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Really, they won't??

The point is that Lemieux and Shanahan were both game breaking players and their new teams are hoping that they'll still be able to provide a spark to the offense. What would Laperriere be able to do? He's a career fourth liner.
I fully understand that they serve different purposes than Laperriere. the point is that whether they are scorers, grinders, defensemen, whatever, 35+ players can be effective and will be targeted by teams with playoff aspirations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Actually it does, for the same reason stated above. Not only would Laperriere be taking up more cap space (he's making over a million dollars this season), but you'd be spending assets (picks, players) that could be used elsewhere to acquire a player who might be able to actually help the team.
much smaller scale. Laperriere will cost a fraction of what a top six forward would cost, both in assets and in cap space. if he would prevent such a move, then yeah, reconsider.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.