HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Osala and Lepistö - are they in the 09-10 team?

Old
02-02-2009, 08:27 AM
taipale*

vCash: 500
Osala and Lepistö - are they in the 09-10 team?

I'm a visitor from other boards, so I'll just be brief and come out in front with a straight question:

Osala and Lepistö - where would you see these two talented Finns in the next year's team, could both be reasonably playing for the big team as soon as next week? I'd love to see Osala to do the same magic in the NHL that he's done with his record-breaking linemate this year in the AHL, and would love Lepistö to get more experience up aswell, learn from Green and get even more adjusted. I have high hopes for both of them as future core players somewhere in the league..

.. so, your insights?

taipale* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The possibility is there for both, although Sami's time is running short.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Foy

I doubt it for both, but it's certainly possible.

I think Osala needs another year in Hershey. I'm not sure if Lepisto wil have the opportunity.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If Kozlov is not brought back, we could start next season with an open RW slot.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Foy

Osala has been a healthy scratch in Hershey in the last week, there's a few people in front of him in line for that spot. Heck, we're scratching Clark and either steckel or gordon every night, one of them might take that spot.

Old
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I kinda thought Osala would be able to handle the long grind of an AHL season with his experience in the OHL...but he's certainly hit a wall of sorts. (Same with Perreault and Bouchard). 3 goals in 21 games for Osala. As for next year...he'll start in Hershey and get a call here and there. I think Bourque has the inside line at making the jump full time (if there is space).

Sami...I just don't know. I like him and want him to stay...but I'm not sure that is going to happen.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:00 AM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
If Kozlov is not brought back, we could start next season with an open RW slot.
I think that fehr would be given every opportunity to take that spot before osala was called up. There's also bourque to think about too.

Sami really looks to have a size and strength issue in his own zone. I love what he can do with the puck (good passer and a cannon from the point), but he gets pushed around a lot by NHL forwards in his own end.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
C-A-P-S

The best chance for either of these guys to start in Washington next season will be if the Caps make trades that somehow move guys that are in front of them on the depth chart.

For Osala thats guys like Fehr and Bourque
For Lepisto thats guys like Morrisonn and Jurcina

Odds are they both start the season in Hershey but will see call up duty.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:07 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I think Osala is waiver exempt next year, so no I don't see him making the team over Bourque, who won't be waiver exempt.

I think Sami makes it next year, well hope he makes it. If the Caps have Sami up it means they have a real 1st pairing guy to play with Green (thus not needing 2 pkers on the 3rd pair).

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Roccoman

Osala looked a bit slow in his call-up this season, at least from a standstill & his lateral movement wasn't very good... i think he is a bit of a project at this point still

Lepisto may be a classic 'tweener'

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

That avatar rules.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

That avatar rules.
glad yer not offended by it - feel free to snag it

and she DOES look like Noah Wylie

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
glad yer not offended by it - feel free to snag it

and she DOES look like Noah Wylie
I think more like Peyton Manning myself

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

That avatar rules.
You hadn't seen that before?
Someone needs to make one for Katie.

Old
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
sk84fun_dc

Osala - link to AHL stats link ; Osala just turned 21yo in December, something to keep in mind, IMO, as it relates to his development. He has played in all but 3 games with Hershey this season. The last game against WBS when he was a healthy scratch and 2 games due to the Caps call-up.

He has slowed down lately, as have his 2 rookie linemates, Bouchard and Perreault. Not that I thought his pace through November would continue, but there has been a significant drop-off. FWIW, of the three in the recent games I have seen, he has been the most consistent recently, but no question he has slowed and his offensive contributions (and the line's contributions) are less than they were. He is still tied for second on the Bears in goal scoring and leads the Bears in plus/minus at this time. He has never had a quick first stride, not a surprise given his size, but his skating hasn't looked as strong in in recent games. Season to date 46GP, 19G 12A 31Pts +21 24PIMs. Even with the 2 seasons of OHL hockey, I am not surprised he has hit a bit of a wall given his age/size and the schedule. Also, the Bears are healthier than they have been in awhile so they are back to scratching players and it made sense to let Osala watch a game.

I think he has a shot at a roster spot if he has a solid camp, but the waiver status and roster depth depending on trades/signings between now and then are unknowns as has been pointed out. I think how long a season he plays and his opportunity to train this summer will have an impact, too, as it will for many of the players.

Lepisto - A few points about Lepisto's contract situation this summer...He will be waiver exempt to start next season unless he plays a few more games this season. I have to look up whether he is considered 22 or 23yo for waiver purposes, but either way it is 3 seasons from signing (May 2007 for 2007-2008 season as season 1), the question is 70 vs 60 NHL (regular season and playoff) games played, respectively, as the threshhold. He will be RFA with arbitration rights this summer. He's considered 22yo (age as of Sept 15, 2007) for salary arbitration purposes. His QO will be a two-way, one year offer. The NHL portion of his QO should be for 105% of his 2008-09 salary or 105% of 675,000 (IIRC, this is his salary, but I have to look it up) = 708,750.

Question I have: If he doesn't get any more games played with the Capitals and he isn't traded before/at the deadline or before QOs are due, while I expect the Caps to extend him a QO, does Lepisto sign it?

I have thought since the last demotion that Lepisto is a prospect that could be traded for many of the reasons already noted, including his obvious drop in the organizational depth chart/from org's (and specifically, Boudreau's perspective.) I suspect that he is traded at the deadline or at the draft, but if he isn't, I wonder if he holds out and doesn't sign a 2 way offer knowing that he will be waiver exempt to start the season. No inside info., I just wonder if he would want to spend another season, at least start of the season, in the AHL/Hershey. He struggled after he was sent down, but recently in the games I have seen has been more effective again. I'm a fan of his puck movement and his low shot from the point that often gets through or can be deflected on its way to the net. No question he struggled at times in his own end in his games with the Caps and he needs to add some strength, as well as gain some confidence/consistency to play at the NHL level (some of the issues Fleischmann was facing a season ago and was noted at the time by some of us.) I wonder whether he will be given another chance in this organization to gain that confidence/consistency.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 02-02-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: trying to shorten the post, LOL
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't think either is on the roster.

As much as I think Lepisto can be a decent player in the league someday, I don't think that spot is here. Too many other talented prospects, and he hasn't done enough to distance himself from others yet. Carlson for what its worth makes him expendable.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him in a package for a player at the deadline (he is exactly what many teams would be looking for, young, cheap, puck moving defenseman ready to step into the NHL right away without a 2-3 year development time). If not, then for a pick or player at the draft. Pending on our needs and situation.

Osala is probably at least another year before he starts making a significant push. 10-11, I would expect him to spend most of the time here.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
taipale*

Sad to hear that line was dropped off lately, last time I checked the charts and information they seemed to be onto something. At times it looks like people are rooting for Osala to become the next Finnish phenom, come the Olympics so he would push people like Miettinen and Jarkko Ruutu off the team, so it seems they definitely are a bit disillusional with his development curve. And I hope for your sake and Sami's that a trade of sorts would happen, like you said, so he could start getting some more changes up, and you guys could get something for his value - or his potential.

Thanks for the replies!

taipale* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

I would really like Lepisto to be given a chance... but we are so deep at defense i dont know how he is going to get into the lineup. I hope Sammy and Carlson make the roster next season.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Captain Conservative

Tough call. I think it depends on whether or not Pothier actually comes back from the concussion and plays well. Potentially:

Ovy-Backis-Kozlov
Semin-Nylander-Fehr
Flash-Laich-Clark
Pork-Gordon-Bradley/Brash

Alzner-Green
Poti-Pothier
Erskine-Schultz
Carlson

Theodore/Varlamov

That D is scary if Pothier comes back healthy.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote