HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2008-2009 Hartford Wolf Pack thread (con't...)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2009, 11:19 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Game 62: Worcester Sharks 1 @ Hartford Wolf Pack 3

Game 62: Worcester Sharks 1 @ Hartford Wolf Pack 3
Lead by a revised top line of newcomer Mark Bell skating with first line stalwarts Artem Anisimov and P.A. Parenteau, the Hartford Wolf Pack earned their seventh consecutive victory by defeating the Worcester Sharks 3-1 in Hartford on Wednesday. Anisimov lead the way with two goals and an assist, while Bell tallied a goal and an assist and Parenteau picked up a helper on each of the three goals.

Matt Zaba was once again solid in net, particularly in the third period when the Pack, who were playing with only five defenseman after a “minor injury” during warm-ups caused Corey Potter to be a last-minute scratch, allowed the Sharks to take 18 shots on goal.

Hartford had numerous scoring chances in the first period, but it wasn’t until the clock had ticked down to 13.2 seconds that they were able to get on the board. Anisimov fed Parenteau with a perfect two-line pass off the boards as he entered the Worcester zone, and the Pack’s leading scorer carried the puck in on net before backhanding a pass between a defenders legs to Bell, who was playing his first game after being picked up off waivers by the Rangers last week and assigned to the Wolf Pack on Monday. The 28-year old winger smacked a one-timer into the open side of the net for his 13th of the season and first as a member of the Wolf Pack.

Anisimov made it 2-1 just 26 seconds into the second period when he collected the rebound of Vladimir Denisov’s slap shot from the right point and put it over Worcester goalie Thomas Greiss for his 25th of the season.

The Sharks cut the lead in half at 3:12, just six seconds into a tripping penalty whistled against rookie Tomas Zaborsky. AHL All-Star Ryan Vesce won a faceoff back to Derek Joslin at the right point, and the All-Star defenseman fired off a seeing-eye slap shot that found its way through a line of bodies to beat Zaba, who was making his 8th consecutive start in goal for Hartford.

Anisimov tallied his second of the game and tied Parenteau for the team lead in goals with 26 on the power play at 6:11 of the third period. Bell carried the puck into the Sharks zone down the left wing side, held up along the half boards, and saucered a perfect pass into the slot for the onrushing Anisimov, who roofed a backhander under the crossbar.

With the 2-goal lead and only five defenseman dressed, the Wolf Pack sat back in the third, allowing the Sharks to take 18 shots on goal after they put up only 17 through the first two frames. Zaba, the AHL’s Goalie of the Month for February, stopped chance after chance as time wound down, including a shorthanded breakaway by Vesce with 1:42 on the clock. The rookie netminder’s strong performance in his seventh straight win moved him into a tie for seventh in the league in goals-against average (2.41) and ninth in the AHL in save percentage (.919).

In Toronto, the Providence Bruins, who lost two of their top players in a Boston trade deadline deal on Wednesday, fell 6-4 to the Marlies. The loss leaves them tied with the Pack for first place in the Atlantic Divisoin with an identical 34-23-2-3 record and 73 points.

Hartford travels to Manchester on Friday to face the surging Monarchs, who’ve won five of their last seven, with their only two losses in that stretch coming against the Wolf Pack.

Scoring:
1. Bell (13) (Parenteau, Anisimov) 19:46
2. Anisimov (25) (Denisov, Parenteau) 0:26
2. Joslin (8) (Vesce) 3:12 (PP)
3. Anisimov (26) (Bell, Parenteau) 6:11 (PP)

Lines:
Bell - Anisimov - Parenteau
Dupont - Rissmiller - Moore
Pyatt - Ouellette - Owens
DiDiomete - Zaborsky - Weise
Sugden

Urquhart - Sauer
Denisov - Fahey
Sanguinetti

Three Stars:
1. Artem Anisimov
2. Mark Bell
3. Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...-straight-win/

Old
03-05-2009, 01:00 AM
NYR Viper

God I love to come back from a night of studying early in the morning to see that Anisimov got some more points and is continuing his drive to the NHL. He is the reason why Prucha and Dawes were expendable and not in the future plans.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
God I love to come back from a night of studying early in the morning to see that Anisimov got some more points and is continuing his drive to the NHL. He is the reason why Prucha and Dawes were expendable and not in the future plans.
Haha...that and my upcoming trip to South Beach is the only thing that has kept me going through mid terms

Old
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
ThirdEye

Can't wait to see what Anisimov brings to this team next season

If anything, it will allow Korpikoski and Dubinsky to both shift to wing permanently.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm intrigued by Bell. I hope they keep him around and give him a shot next year.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Nice to see Bell making an immediate impact. Hopefully he can get his game back.

Artie continues to impress.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Artie continues to impress.
He could have had 4-5 goals, but he whiffed on 2 or 3 chances in the first period. They were calling him "snakebit" on the broadcast at the end of the first. Heh.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm intrigued by Bell. I hope they keep him around and give him a shot next year.
As am I. A guy with size and snarl, and some talent. He obviously went through a trying time in his life and his game suffered as a result, so here's to hoping that his game returns now that he is healthy. If he can be a 15-15 or even 20-20 guy for us I'd be happy.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He could have had 4-5 goals, but he whiffed on 2 or 3 chances in the first period. They were calling him "snakebit" on the broadcast at the end of the first. Heh.
Bah. I rescind my comment. What a bust.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
As am I. A guy with size and snarl, and some talent. He obviously went through a trying time in his life and his game suffered as a result, so here's to hoping that his game returns now that he is healthy. If he can be a 15-15 or even 20-20 guy for us I'd be happy.
yet he is a UFA isn't he?

Old
03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
yet he is a UFA isn't he?
Yes.

IMO, he's nothing but a rental for depth. Don't get too attached.

Old
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
squishy

Jim Schoenfeld was in Hartford last night and joined Bob Crawford as a guest between periods. I jotted down some notes, but didn't have a chance to type them out here until now...

- He said he's more than happy to pitch in and "help out an old pal" as assistant coach. It definitely sounded like a temporary gig, however.

- He said they addressed some of their needs at the deadline: They'll "get grit and speed" from Avery, and "a guy who can raise the emotion of the team". Antropov is "a big guy with decent hands" and they hope they can help him push his 20-25 goals higher. And Morris gives them "a good guy on the blue line" and gives them three righties and three lefties [Note to Ranger brass: You've got four righties in Hartford] He said it was an upgrade on Kalinin, who Schoenfeld thought was having "a very good year", especially recently.

- Regarding Dawes and Prucha, Torts told them "these are going to be my top six / power play guys" and for guys like Dawes and Prucha, if they're not in the top six their value is limited. He thinks both will do a good job for "old friend" Don Maloney.

- Bell's another big, strong player who "hit a detour along the way" but has straightened himself out. He said he has a terrific shot but "needs to increase his quickness to be more of a threat on the rush". He's a "tremendous kid" who is "finding his game" right now and the organization hopes he "reblooms".

- He pointed out that there are only 13 forwards and 6 defenseman in NY, and "a couple of injuries and we're looking here", so players need to do their best to elevate their game now so that if they get the opportunity the make the best of it and make it difficult for the organization to send them back.

- Avery told Schoenfeld Wednesday afternoon that Kenny, JJ, Patty and all the players were really good to him, he was very positive about his time in Hartford and very appreciative of the opportunity he was given.

Old
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Well maybe if Bell "reblooms" they'll keep him around.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

squishy,

I know you've been down on Sanguinetti this season. I was looking at the AHL stats and Sanguinetti is 8th overall in D-man scoring w/ 5-29-34 in 60. 2nd among rookies. That's pretty impressive. There are obviously parts of his game that need work but I don't imagine these points were fabrications or phantom secondary assists. He must be doing something right. What's going right for him so far? What parts have been getting better over the course of the season? Anyone else, feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Old
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
squishy

Keep in mind that more than half of those points have come on the power play. (3 g, 17a out of a total 5g, 29a) I don't think anyone ever questioned his ability to quarterback the PP. (Although he did struggle a lot early on keeping the puck in at the point.)

His offensive play has been pretty steady since around the start of November. It was his defensive play that was the problem -- he was absolutely brutal in his own zone in the first half of the season. But he's really been improving steadily in that regard over the past two months or so. It's gotten to the point where I'm more likely to notice something good he does defensively than something bad. He still leads the team as a -14, but I think he's been even or better for something like 8 of his last 9 games. I know people like to dismiss +/-, but in Sanguinetti's case his large minus was very well earned. It helps that Zaba's turned into a mistake eraser, but he's also been making a lot fewer mistakes, and coming up with some big defensive plays to boot. He's gotten much better positionally, and is less prone to running around and taking himself out of position. He'll still take risks in the offensive zone, but is better about knowing when to do it. He also benefits from the fact that the Pack has three very defensively sound centers, who all are very good about covering for him when he does. I think he's probably gotten stronger over the course of the season as well, because he's been playing tougher along the boards and in front of his net.

I was rough on him early in the season mostly because people were clamoring for him to be brought up when he was in no way close to being ready. I was never down on him as a prospect, I just said over and over again that he needed more time. And he still does. But the improvement over the past couple months has been very encouraging. To the point that, assuming he continues to improve at the same pace, I think there's a good chance he could challenge for a spot out of camp next year.

Old
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Vitto79

oh no not a PP QB on the Rangers :-)...............Sangs will develop just fine. he could make it next year but I am ok if he plays in the minors.............Sauer needs a chance he is a big dude..........Potter is getting up their in age now. He really needs to be atleast the 7th Dman at this pt

Old
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Keep in mind that more than half of those points have come on the power play. (3 g, 17a out of a total 5g, 29a) I don't think anyone ever questioned his ability to quarterback the PP. (Although he did struggle a lot early on keeping the puck in at the point.)

His offensive play has been pretty steady since around the start of November. It was his defensive play that was the problem -- he was absolutely brutal in his own zone in the first half of the season. But he's really been improving steadily in that regard over the past two months or so. It's gotten to the point where I'm more likely to notice something good he does defensively than something bad. He still leads the team as a -14, but I think he's been even or better for something like 8 of his last 9 games. I know people like to dismiss +/-, but in Sanguinetti's case his large minus was very well earned. It helps that Zaba's turned into a mistake eraser, but he's also been making a lot fewer mistakes, and coming up with some big defensive plays to boot. He's gotten much better positionally, and is less prone to running around and taking himself out of position. He'll still take risks in the offensive zone, but is better about knowing when to do it. He also benefits from the fact that the Pack has three very defensively sound centers, who all are very good about covering for him when he does. I think he's probably gotten stronger over the course of the season as well, because he's been playing tougher along the boards and in front of his net.

I was rough on him early in the season mostly because people were clamoring for him to be brought up when he was in no way close to being ready. I was never down on him as a prospect, I just said over and over again that he needed more time. And he still does. But the improvement over the past couple months has been very encouraging. To the point that, assuming he continues to improve at the same pace, I think there's a good chance he could challenge for a spot out of camp next year.
Awesome, just awesome.

Our cap issues become a LOT less dire if one or two of the kids from HFD who are only just "this" much away can challenge and make Mara and Morris unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mara - and really respect the move to take less to stay in NYC - as well as Morris, but I'm guess that they'll combine to earn $6MM+ next year and if you can fill their spots for less than $2MM, that's obviously huge. (Especially if one of those replacements is a legit PP QB.)

Old
03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I definitely think at this point that PAP deserves a look. I'm still convinced that he's a fringe NHLer, but he's earned it.

At the same time, I understand how valuable he is to the organization in terms of leadership and production at the AHL level. Having someone like him with the Pack is a tremendous help to the development of our younger players. I wouldn't want to lose him to waivers, so I'd rather he just stay in Hartford.
Yes, I would say, we lose Antropov or just any forward of value, It's time to give PAP a shot. It looks like (with his age and when he was drafted) he's definitely paid his dues. Also, believe it or not. I didn't think this would happen, but I'm going through some Prucha withdrawal (call it a Prucha mancrush or w e). Again, I would have no problems getting him back. Especially playing under Tortorellas system, which is more offensive minded. Besides, Phoenix says Dawes was the key to that deal so I assume they have plans to keep him around.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
oh no not a PP QB on the Rangers :-)...............Sangs will develop just fine. he could make it next year but I am ok if he plays in the minors.............Sauer needs a chance he is a big dude..........Potter is getting up their in age now. He really needs to be atleast the 7th Dman at this pt
I'm just going on assumption. But I think MDZ is really the one to watch. I think he will bring more skills to the table than Sangs. If they both can equally. That would be great. It would give us the chance to use one of them as trade bait for if we might need room in another area.

Old
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Osminator

can't wait to see the pack in about an hour 15 mins play manchester on ahllive!!!

Old
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
can't wait to see the pack in about an hour 15 mins play manchester on ahllive!!!
They're going for 8 in a row, they've already got the second longest winning streak in franchise history. I fear a let down.

Zaborsky was hurt in Wednesday's game (no details) and won't play. Zaba, not surprisingly, is back in goal.

Old
03-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Osminator

Quote:
They're going for 8 in a row, they've already got the second longest winning streak in franchise history. I fear a let down.

Zaborsky was hurt in Wednesday's game (no details) and won't play. Zaba, not surprisingly, is back in goal.
That was an extremely passive first period by both Manchester and Hartford... dull...

Zaborsky and Potter injured, Fahey wearing Potter's "A", Zaba and Urquhart looking strong, Sugden can't win a faceoff, Powerplay is poor... 0-0 so far, 40 mins to go

Old
03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
ecemleafs

has Zaba become a potential NHLer with his play this year?

Old
03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
That was an extremely passive first period by both Manchester and Hartford... dull...
The second wasn't much better. Pack only got two shots trough the first 16 minutes of the period. They put up 5 in 1:45 of a 5-on-3, but Bernier was good on the rare quality shot he faced.

Old
03-06-2009, 07:58 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
has Zaba become a potential NHLer with his play this year?
He's always been a potential NHLer. The Rangers wouldn't have given him an NHL deal if they didn't think he had a shot.

He's on a good run right now. But I want to wait and see how he does down the stretch and in the playoffs, and how he starts next season before making any proclamations.

Closed Thread