Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Razor has to go

Old
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
haf

vCash: 500
Razor has to go

He is quite simply the best hockey color man working hands down. His analysis is smart, insightful and entertaining. While I never ever want to see a Dallas game on TV without him, he should be doing every game televised on Versus and NBC and most certainly the Stanley Cup Finals. It would be good for hockey as a whole.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Starsdude

He is ours

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Alistar

Hell no!

the next one in line is Craig Ludwig - remember that.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
He is quite simply the best hockey color man working hands down. His analysis is smart, insightful and entertaining. While I never ever want to see a Dallas game on TV without him, he should be doing every game televised on Versus and NBC and most certainly the Stanley Cup Finals. It would be good for hockey as a whole.
NEVER

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:45 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
nope

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
That's a negative.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Part of what makes Razor great is that he has free reign to say pretty much whatever pops into his head with the Stars. When he has to tone things down for a national audience he's less entertaining and it sounds more like schtick. I doubt a national telecast would ever give him the carte blanche he needs.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Part of what makes Razor great is that he has free reign to say pretty much whatever pops into his head with the Stars. When he has to tone things down for a national audience he's less entertaining and it sounds more like schtick. I doubt a national telecast would ever give him the carte blanche he needs.
yup, I agree. On a national telecast we never find out Krys Barch's former job.

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

When Stars games are on Versus, he usually is the color guy. He also does some of the other Versus games (hence why Ludwig has taken over a few times...and why the Anaheim color guy had to come in like 4 times last season to take over for him).

But, he is a Stars announcer. And better be until he retires.

Old
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Class1723

Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
I hope he never leaves as well. And as for doing every game on VS.... While he did not write this article, it does not paint a very good picture of working for VS and he did post it in his blog.

http://blog.dallasstars.com/archives...eam_cover.html

Class1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Class1723

Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
When I had the option of Center Ice, I watched alot of other teams announcers, I found it interesting how many announcers mispronounce players names. I know its not all recorded and they dont have time to go back and correct themselves in instances so they soldier on. But it seems as if many just do not care to learn how to properly say some of the names... Now Razors experience in Finland I am sure forced him to learn a lot of that but still.

Also, It is not uncommon for Ralph or Razor to call a penalty by Dallas legitimate. Some teams (the old announcers for the Sharks come to mind) think that all calls against their team are BS.

I really love how it seems the R & R seem to be true fans of hockey, not just guys with good TV voices working for paychecks.

Class1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
haf

Don't get me wrong here. I think we have far and away the best announcers for any team and I never want them to leave. It just seems sad that our local announcers are so much better than most national broadcasts.

Versus needs to hire Razor as a consultant and let him shape the style and content of broadcasts.

Old
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Chad_

Out of curiosity, why do you care what would be good for hockey "as a whole?" Why is there this incessant blathering (in general) about how to make hockey better, much more than any other major sport? When is the last time anyone has heard someone say or read a column arguing in favor of contraction of, for instance, the Dallas Cowboys, the Texas Rangers or the Dallas Mavericks with the argument that it would, somehow, be good for the respective game?

I'm serious here and mean absolutely no disrespect, but why do fans of the NHL seem to think they are somehow all marketing geniuses and know better than anyone else, irrespective of actual experience, what to do, when to do it and how to cause the smallest disruption in actual on-ice play?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

We're in the age of growing the game (whether it is for the better or the worse is up to you). The rules that have come out of the lock out, are solely for those of the casual fan.

Razor just has that personality that seems to go over well.

Old
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Chad_

But that's for the NHL to do, not the fans. None of us should care one bit whether the game 'grows' or stays stagnant.

Old
02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
haf

That would depend on whether you only like your team or are a fan of hockey in general.

I love the Stars not just for being a great team, but for how they have grown the game in Texas. I think hockey is a great game. I think Razor would help the casual fan get into it much more than most of the blathering talking heads we have to deal with on nationally televised games.

We all play GM on here constantly. Why not play Commish?

Old
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
That would depend on whether you only like your team or are a fan of hockey in general.

I love the Stars not just for being a great team, but for how they have grown the game in Texas. I think hockey is a great game. I think Razor would help the casual fan get into it much more than most of the blathering talking heads we have to deal with on nationally televised games.

We all play GM on here constantly. Why not play Commish?
The Stars have helped grow the game of hockey in Texas, sure, but that's only helped stabilize the Stars. It's apples and oranges.

Nothing would happen to the NHL or the Stars if a handful of other franchises were hurting. There are a handful of other franchises hurting already. Is the NHL is trouble because a couple of those might not make it in the chosen city the team resides in now? No.

So how does this hurt the NHL or the Stars? It doesn't. The only way this would matter is if the NHL were in trouble, and it's not. The NHL is still a sound product, not a two bit organization struggling to make ends meet.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
haf

It's cool if it doesn't interest you and I can kind of see where you are coming from but I think it's interesting.

In the same way that blathering on and on about potential trades is interesting. It is all essentially fantasy but it is entertaining fantasy.

Its just fun. So...on I go.

The onset of high-def potentially has a real effect on the way hockey is received. I have several friends who could have cared less, then they got a HD tv and I would see them and they would be all, " YO! Man I watched Washington/Boston last night and it was AWESOME!".
Or whatever game it might have been (Wash/Boston was the most recent).

It really makes a huge difference and I think with these newer viewers, a more appealing announcing team would help as well.

Razor manages to speak about the details without sounding like a coach or preachy. He makes people laugh and he so clearly loves the game. I just think it makes sense. Buccigross called him the best hockey color man a couple of years ago.

I guess I am just saying he is right.