HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Penner for Morrison

Old
02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Pitt21

vCash: 500
Anaheim thought that contract was too much when they didnt match the offer sheet. And his value has only gone down. Granted Burke isnt there anymore.

Pitt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
With Anaheim struggling, and Edmonton needing some veteran presence, I propose this:

to EDM:
Brendan Morrison + 3rd

to ANA:
Dustin Penner

Penner gets reunited with Getzlaf, the Oilers get a checking line center with grit, and a pick to boot.
This is absolutly terrible. I would rather let Penner continue to play and produce at a 20 goal pace than do a deal like this.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
As an oiler yes.

But his contract fits nicely with Getzlaff and Perry's contracts.

Penner's a first liner only with anaheim imo. Otherwise, he's a 2 or a 3.
Wow that makes no since at all...

So it's not a good contract if he's on the Oilers, but it is if he's on the Ducks. It's a bad contract no matter what team he's on.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Wow that makes no since at all...

So it's not a good contract if he's on the Oilers, but it is if he's on the Ducks. It's a bad contract no matter what team he's on.
Let me spell it out for you.

If Penner were to rejoin Getzlaff and Perry and play the way he did before he was traded, he would justify his current contract.

Whereas with the oilers, no matter who he's playing with, he will never measure up to the numbers he would produce as a duck.

Playing with the oilers, he's obviously not worth the money.

Make since?

HYORI 1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

If Penner were to rejoin Getzlaff and Perry and play the way he did before he was traded, he would justify his current contract.

Whereas with the oilers, no matter who he's playing with, he will never measure up to the numbers he would produce a duck.

Make since?
How so? the year he got that contract he ended up with 45 point, last year he had 47, this year hes on pace for 40. Hes played the same way in Anaheim hes playing in Edmonton.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:

Whereas with the oilers, no matter who he's playing with, he will never measure up to the numbers he would produce as a duck.

Make since?
First off he wasn't traded. Second no he would not be worth the money. During his time with that line he was inconsistent, hence why the offer wasn't matched.

Basically what you're trying to say is that if he plays better he will be worth the contract. And you think that he will play better with the Ducks. Still though he wasn't playing like a 4 million dollar player with the Ducks. He has shown no signs of improvement since he left, therefore HE IS STILL NOT WORTH THAT CONTRACT. Plus the Ducks have their top 4 wingers. Perry, Ryan, Selanne, and Kunitz. Maybe add Penner when his salary is almost over and Selanne is retired. Definitely not now.

Personally I think the title of this thread is funny. I remember all the Oiler trolls coming to the board telling us how awesome Penner was going to be. We told them exactly what he was then, and what he still is: A big guy that will show dominance, but is to unmotivated and not worth the money. Now look at this thread title... Penner for the trash that you want to get rid of.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:12 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
How so? the year he got that contract he ended up with 45 point, last year he had 47, this year hes on pace for 40. Hes played the same way in Anaheim hes playing in Edmonton.
Well that same year, Perry had 44 and Getzlaf 58.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:25 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
First off he wasn't traded. Second no he would not be worth the money. During his time with that line he was inconsistent, hence why the offer wasn't matched.

Basically what you're trying to say is that if he plays better he will be worth the contract. And you think that he will play better with the Ducks. Still though he wasn't playing like a 4 million dollar player with the Ducks. He has shown no signs of improvement since he left, therefore HE IS STILL NOT WORTH THAT CONTRACT. Plus the Ducks have their top 4 wingers. Perry, Ryan, Selanne, and Kunitz. Maybe add Penner when his salary is almost over and Selanne is retired. Definitely not now.

Personally I think the title of this thread is funny. I remember all the Oiler trolls coming to the board telling us how awesome Penner was going to be. We told them exactly what he was then, and what he still is: A big guy that will show dominance, but is to unmotivated and not worth the money. Now look at this thread title... Penner for the trash that you want to get rid of.
Thanks for catching that. I had forgotten that Burke didn't want to match the offer.

Look at it this way...both Perry and Getzlaf are both making over $5 mil. I don't think it's unrealistic that Penner be making $4.25 if he had remained a duck.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:28 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Thanks for catching that. I had forgotten that Burke didn't want to match the offer.

Look at it this way...both Perry and Getzlaf are both making over $5 mil. I don't think it's unrealistic that Penner be making $4.25 if he had remained a duck.
Rumor was he got a 3 year 7 million dollar offer from the Ducks...

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:34 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Kunitz-Selanne

Thats a wicked top 6.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:

No he probably wouldn't have. He wasn't offered near that to stay, hence why he took the offersheet.

The only way he gets more is if stepped up his play and stopped having those games where he took nights off. Obviously he hasn't. Like someone already said he was rumoured to have been offered something around 2.5 - 3 million. Maybe after that contract, and if he would have played more inconsistent, he might be making what he is making now. Well he hasn't been a consistent player yet in his career so he wouldn't be making what he's making now.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Kunitz-Selanne

Thats a wicked top 6.
Maybe if Kunitz was a center....?

Old
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

I just saw something on Sportsnet where MacT called out Penner again for being lazy. He's not worth that contract, regardless of where he plays.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Kunitz-Selanne

Thats a wicked top 6.
Who plays 2nd line centre?

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
No he probably wouldn't have. He wasn't offered near that to stay, hence why he took the offersheet.

The only way he gets more is if stepped up his play and stopped having those games where he took nights off. Obviously he hasn't. Like someone already said he was rumoured to have been offered something around 2.5 - 3 million. Maybe after that contract, and if he would have played more inconsistent, he might be making what he is making now. Well he hasn't been a consistent player yet in his career so he wouldn't be making what he's making now.
Let me rephrase that. With both Getzlaf and Perry both making over $5 mil on the top line, I don't think it's that much of a reach for Penner to be making his $4.25 mil joining them on the first line.

Old
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let me rephrase that. With both Getzlaf and Perry both making over $5 mil on the top line, I don't think it's that much of a reach for Penner to be making his $4.25 mil joining them on the first line.
It is. Anyone who watched the three of them together on a regular basis knew that the real stars of that line were Perry and Getzlaf. Penner had his dominating shifts, but they were too few and far between. It was the pair of Getzlaf and Perry that made that line so dangerous on a regular basis.

Penner was never going to get that kind of money in Anaheim when his entry-level contract was up.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
But Perry and Getzlaf didn't get new contracts after that year.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Eddie Vedder

I loved Bmo as a nuck, but the guy is just no good anymore. He had an amazing iron man streak that quietly involved several major surgeries in the offseason. Hip, wrist, and last season his ACL. The guy has seen far better days and the oilers would be way better off going with youth than giving up on penner for what is essentially a washed up speedster who doesnt have the same speed he once did.

Eddie Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
And they both have continued developing whereas Penner is still the same player he was playing with those guys.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:39 AM
AgentNaslund*

Oiler fans are willing to get rid of him for free. Knowing this is now a horrible signing, they are willing to trade him for a 7th round pick. Funny thing is, no one is willing to take him for free. 4.5 million dollars for a out of shape winger, who wants!!!???

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
Oiler fans are willing to get rid of him for free. Knowing this is now a horrible signing, they are willing to trade him for a 7th round pick. Funny thing is, no one is willing to take him for free. 4.5 million dollars for a out of shape winger, who wants!!!???
You paid 10 million for an out of shape center.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
You paid 10 million for an out of shape center.
but they aren't on the hook for 3 more years

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
but they aren't on the hook for 3 more years
and its not 10 million. Do they still think its 10 million? I thought OIlers should should no more about us. LIke we know how badly Penner is overpaid, how can you not know how badly Sundin is overpaid? And it did not cost us a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd round pick. as a non playoff team.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:

Blame Lowe, Both Perry and Getzlaf should thank him.Second contracts shouldn't be this high.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:53 AM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Blame Lowe, Both Perry and Getzlaf should thank him.Second contracts shouldn't be this high.
Exactly. If Penner didn't get the offer sheet he did, the Ducks probably would have resigned him for under $3M and Perry and Getzlaf would have probably been signed for less than they were. Penner's offer sheet threw the Ducks salary structure out of whack. Penner was never going to be worth $4.26M by the Ducks (otherwise as some have already said, they would have matched the offer sheet). Penner doesn't fit into the Ducks first line salary structure just because his salary is about $1M less than Getzlaf's and Perry's. Kunitz is doing fine on that line---more points than Penner--- with a lower salary cap hit.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote