HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What did Aebischer do to May?

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 07:42 AM
Douggy

vCash: 500
What did Aebischer do to May?

Sorry if there is another thread about this, but what was May's problem with David Aebischer last night?

Old
03-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think May wanted to fetch the puck for Linden. It's no big deal, Aebischer seems to be very strong mentally. He can handle stuff like that.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Aebischer seems to be very strong mentally.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:13 AM
ceber

Quote:
I think May wanted to fetch the puck for Linden. It's no big deal, Aebischer seems to be very strong mentally. He can handle stuff like that.
That's not how it looked, and it doesn't explain him going after Aebischer the second time. I think May was trying to fire up a Canucks team that had given up. Did a decent job of it, but it was short-lived.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:16 AM
LaVal

it was more likely something vocal. May went in to get the puck for Linden, Aebischer said something, and May stopped and gave him a shot which resulted in a crowd.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:17 AM
mmk786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
That's not how it looked, and it doesn't explain him going after Aebischer the second time. I think May was trying to fire up a Canucks team that had given up. Did a decent job of it, but it was short-lived.
Actually he overdid it a bit, ended up getting a 10 minute game misconduct i believe

Old
03-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeverine
Don't worry. I'll translate it for you.

Aebischers... not... upset... he... not... angry... no more... May... getting... puck-thingy... from... net... for... Linden-friend...

Old
03-09-2004, 08:22 AM
mmk786

Quote:
Don't worry. I'll translate it for you.

Aebischers... not... upset... he... not... angry... no more... May... getting... puck-thingy... from... net... for... Linden-friend...
So he wanted the puck thingy for linden after the second goal as well???

Old
03-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk786
So he wanted the puck thingy for linden after the second goal as well???
I suspect he wanted to rub it in. It's not every day a guy like May scores two goals. I don't see why it's a big deal. Something else in that game overshadowed it, you know.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
he pushed Abby yea he was getting the puck. whatever.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Avery4Byng*

First time I believe he was trying to get the puck.... Abby didnt want to give it up or something. Second time May was just trying to fire up his team and rub his 2 goal night in Abby's face. It's not every night May gets the deuce...... Thus he created the new Brad May hattrick, 2 goals and 3 fights.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:16 AM
ceber

To me, the only thing that made it seem like he may have been going for the puck was the announcers saying that was a possibility. Typically after big moments like this they'll get the puck from the refs, right? On the replay it didn't look like May even looked at the net. He's just getting into with Aebischer to stir things up. It wasn't nasty at all, I didn't think. There's no need to try to make an excuse for it. He certainly didn't hurt the goalie at all, unless Aebischer's psychologically fragile. If people are using the Bertuzzi nastiness to try to come down on May for playing with some spunk and trying to fire up his team they shouldn't be.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Reign Nateo

Jesus, this is getting out of hand. Aebischer punched Morrison in the groin after scoring a goal on him last game and there was not a peep said about it, now we have a thread for this? Give me a break, Aebischer has been getting physical with the Canucks forwards every game, this was coming for a long time.

May was trying to get the puck and Aebischer off his game. Who cares? Every time a Canuck breathes we're going to have a 6 page thread now?

Old
03-09-2004, 11:09 AM
SOS

Send a message via ICQ to SOS Send a message via MSN to SOS
To me it really looked like Brad May was doing the only thing left that could even possibly give the Canucks a chance to get back in the game, and that was to get Abby off his game. If you ask me it worked with 2 quick goals and plenty of time left. When May left with the misconduct it looked as if he was saying "ok this is the best I can do to get us back in the game, the rest is up to you guys"....then uh...yeah.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
he pushed Abby yea he was getting the puck. whatever.
He "pushed" Abby? Noooooo!?! Tack on another game to May's one game suspension; heck, tack on two.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Breck Av

I don't mind what May did to Aebischer. I thought it was quite funny, actually, in a desparate way.

I just watched the game again (bless you Tivo) and there's no way May was going to retrieve the puck for Linden. He didn't even look at the puck, let alone try to pick it up. Aebsicher wasn't holding it or really even near it.

And to reiterate, I don't think May was wrong what he did, at least he didn't punch Aebi in the back of the head.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:56 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Jesus, this is getting out of hand. Aebischer punched Morrison in the groin after scoring a goal on him last game and there was not a peep said about it, now we have a thread for this? Give me a break, Aebischer has been getting physical with the Canucks forwards every game, this was coming for a long time.

May was trying to get the puck and Aebischer off his game. Who cares? Every time a Canuck breathes we're going to have a 6 page thread now?
With all due respect. That goal shouldn't have counted as it was Goaltender interference. Morrison prevented Aebischer from making his full movement. The announcers pointed that out many times, and you could see on the replay that Abby's leg was prevented from moving over by Morrison.

Whether or not the goal would have gone in had Morrison hadn't interfered remains to be seen.

And in my opinion, the whole interference that night was iffy, sorta like, "Depends if the ref wants to go by the book or let the teams play."

Old
03-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
He "pushed" Abby? Noooooo!?! Tack on another game to May's one game suspension; heck, tack on two.
What is wrong with you guys? The discussion has been pretty civil, and some of you act like you are being persecuted. May was being a total classless jerk, if not on the first time, then for sure on the second time. What's so hard to see about that? Why did someone else bring up something that supposedly (I never heard about it) happened with Abby and Morrison? Why can't anyone talk about anything Canuck without someone else bringing up some other incident?

If I were a Canucks fan, I would be mad at my team, disgusted with Bertuzzi, and probably not in any mood to get on the internet and argue a bunch of stuff.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
What is wrong with you guys? The discussion has been pretty civil, and some of you act like you are being persecuted.
That's b/c we were being persecuted... for what Todd Bertuzzi did. Forgive us if we seem a little on edge; that happens when people jump all over you for things you have no control over. Anyway, I think things have settled down a lot and have been brought back into perspective. I hope.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I don't buy into this "trying to get the puck" theory. The goal was scored seconds before may went after Aebischer. There was no possibly way for Aebischer to have magically reacquired possesion of the puck. What may did just displays his lack of class.

As far as I'm concerned, it's case closed. May got the misconduct penalty which he deserved.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Thalia

Quote:

If I were a Canucks fan, I would be mad at my team, disgusted with Bertuzzi, and probably not in any mood to get on the internet and argue a bunch of stuff.
There you go again. If this isn't persecution I don't know what is. I didn't break Moore's neck and neither did the rest of the team but you think all us 'Nucks fans should stay of the Net when it's trade deadline day? You're delsusional.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
That's b/c we were being persecuted... for what Todd Bertuzzi did. Forgive us if we seem a little on edge; that happens when people jump all over you for things you have no control over. Anyway, I think things have settled down a lot and have been brought back into perspective. I hope.
But no one has been particularly upset with May. Did you even read the replies before deciding to declare you are persecuted? No one is upset about this, it is a non issue. And if you feel Canuckfans are persecuted in this thread you seem a wee bit paranoid.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
There you go again. If this isn't persecution I don't know what is. I didn't break Moore's neck and neither did the rest of the team but you think all us 'Nucks fans should stay of the Net when it's trade deadline day? You're delsusional.
Please read what I wrote. I said what I would do if I were a Canucks fan. Let me clarify that further. This is how I would feel if someone on the Avs did what Bertuzzi did. I would be disgusted by it and not engage strangers in arguments over it, because to me it's bigger than what team you root for. Personally, I wouldn't expect anyone to feel sorry for me, and I'd be ashamed of a lot of what happened, so I'd stay away from areas I knew would be full of incendiary opinions. That's just me, you can do what you want.

So there was no persecution in my post, and I didn't call anyone names. I understand that people are on edge about this; I was so mad last night it took me a few hours before I could even sleep.

And this thread is about a specific incident that we're rapidly getting away from, so I won't say anything more that's unrelated to the Abby-May thing. Carry on.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Quote:
But no one has been particularly upset with May. Did you even read the replies before deciding to declare you are persecuted? No one is upset about this, it is a non issue. And if you feel Canuckfans are persecuted in this thread you seem a wee bit paranoid.
And the Canucks' fans bashing continues only instead of coming right and saying this is what he/she thinks the fans should he... he/she decides to speak in the 'if it were me' fashion... yeah, that makes things more acceptable.

And yes I'm a wee pit paranoid but for good reason.

Like I said, things have settled down somewhat so it's time to let the nitpicking go.

Old
03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Please read what I wrote. I said what I would do if I were a Canucks fan. Let me clarify that further. This is how I would feel if someone on the Avs did what Bertuzzi did. I would be disgusted by it and not engage strangers in arguments over it, because to me it's bigger than what team you root for. Personally, I wouldn't expect anyone to feel sorry for me, and I'd be ashamed of a lot of what happened, so I'd stay away from areas I knew would be full of incendiary opinions. That's just me, you can do what you want.

So there was no persecution in my post, and I didn't call anyone names. I understand that people are on edge about this; I was so mad last night it took me a few hours before I could even sleep.

And this thread is about a specific incident that we're rapidly getting away from, so I won't say anything more that's unrelated to the Abby-May thing. Carry on.
That's fine. Let's carry on with the original topic then and try keep other issues out of the conversation.

Closed Thread