HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is your bait?

Old
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Who is your bait?

In several threads I notice there's been discussion of what packages of players people would be willing to give up in trade. While a lot of it has to do with the particular deal (i.e. the value of a package to get, say, Bieksa vs. the value of a package to get Pronger), I was curious as to what people's trade chips would be?

Just to illustrate the question, I saw someone mention a package of Morrisonn, Lepisto and a 2nd rounder, and those are all chips that I would be willing to part with that I think other clubs would find somewhat valuable. This is more a question of who you would feel comfortable with trading, as opposed to which roster players, prospects (signed or un-signed) who or what draft pick(s) you think the Caps would be willing to part with in a deal. Again, other clubs would need to find these assets worthwhile - I'd happily trade a 7th round pick, but other organizations wouldn't likely consider it valuable.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:25 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
in no particular order:

-Lepisto
-Osala
-draft picks (1st if it's a blockbuster, otherwise 2nd or 3rd)
-Morrisonn/Jurcina
-Nylander
-Neuvirth

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Foy

It depends on what we are getting in return. It also depends on what a players' agent may want on an upcoming contract (especially with regards to Mo).

I could live with:
Mo, Fehr, Johnny, and anyone in Hershey or SC not named Varlamov or Alzner.

It obviously all comes down to what we are receiving. I don't want to lose Carlson, but if it nets us Pronger, I could man up and deal with it.

More than anything else I have faith in GMGM's trading ability.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
EroCaps

-Mo
-Lepisto
-Perreault
-Bouchard
-Bourque
-Nylander
-Neuvirth
-Johnny
-Fehr

For the right player, I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these guys go.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

This organization is not going to suffer it it exchanges the 26th pick in the draft this year. We have do much depth. Our 1st rounder is our best asset and one I will happily utilize with more if we get a solid defensemen in return.

I'd also trade Mo; Lepisto; any prospect in our system not named Varlamov, Gustaffson or Carlson; and maybe Schultz.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 02-02-2009 at 08:13 PM.
CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
C-A-P-S

For Pronger, a defenseman who is a stud and has another year on his deal I would give up a great deal.

For that sort of trade I'd move some combination of these players and picks.

Roster Ds: Schultz, Morrisonn, Jurcina
Roster Fs: Nylander, Fehr
Prospects: Carlson, Osala, Lepisto, Neuvirth, Bourque, Finley
Picks: 1st 2009, 1st 2010, 2nd 2009, 2nd 2009

Assuming Nylander could be moved in another deal, I'd have no qualms about moving Schultz, Osala and the 2 firsts to pick him up. (I have strong reservations about moving Carlson)

The firsts may seem like a lot but with this roster over the next 2 seasons you're looking at very late first round picks.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Burgh32

Roster, definitely: Nyles, Juice, Sarge, Johnny
Roster, maybe: Mo, Fehr, one of (Gordo/Stecks), Koz

Prospects: Anyone not named Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Devil Dancer

If it really comes down to it, I'd move Flash in a package for a stud. Flash is a great value right now, but I don't think his ceiling is that high, and in a couple of years he's going to get paid like a 30 goal scorer, just in time for Backstrom's raise and Semin's next contract.

His value is at its peak now. I don't want to move him, but I'd consider it.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
txpd

Forward: Nylander, Fehr, Bourque, Osala*, Wilson
Defense: Lepisto, Godfrey, Finley, McNeill, Carlson*
Goal: Neuvirth, MaChesney

*= players willing to trade only for an impact player under contract. Like Pronger and Kaberle.

I would be very careful to trade off the roster during the season. Particularly players that have been part of the group for a long time. Meaning I am fine with trading Morrisonn, Schultz, Steckel or Gordon in the off season like Eminger. This is a tight group and I don't think its a good idea to chance that, unless we are talking about Pronger. Then its worth the risk.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Forward: Nylander, Fehr, Bourque, Osala*, Wilson
Defense: Lepisto, Godfrey, Finley, McNeill, Carlson*
Goal: Neuvirth, MaChesney

*= players willing to trade only for an impact player under contract. Like Pronger and Kaberle.

I would be very careful to trade off the roster during the season. Particularly players that have been part of the group for a long time. Meaning I am fine with trading Morrisonn, Schultz, Steckel or Gordon in the off season like Eminger. This is a tight group and I don't think its a good idea to chance that, unless we are talking about Pronger. Then its worth the risk.
I think TX is right with this .... I think our depth with interchangeable 2nd / 3rd liners puts us in that top tier of teams.

Side note, I'm not sure I'd even package Carlson for Pronger. I think he's going to be a STUD.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey442 View Post
Side note, I'm not sure I'd even package Carlson for Pronger. I think he's going to be a STUD.
Here's the thing. IF the Caps have a legit shot at the cup. Indications are starting to come in that they think they do. Keeping Carlson and passing on Pronger might mean passing on the opportunity, when another stud might be had later on.

Just keep in mind the salary cap thing. Things change. If by the time Carlson has enough experience to be a stud, but the Caps have lost a big piece or two because of the cap, they may have missed their best shot.

I say take the shot if its there.

Old
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Carlson/Alzner absolute keepers...would not trade either IMHO.

I would give up Osala before Fehr..i just have absolute non-scientific feeling that Fehr is turning the corner...Osala much more wild card at this point but considering he is younger and doesn't have the injury history might be more attractive to other teams.

Lepisto definite bait. As others have stated he is a tweener.

Mo obviously..he's sort of a tweener in style..got some skill but just average..has some height but doesn't have a lot of weight. Has shown a little.

Wouldn't call Nylander bait though in some scenarios I can see him go..others I can see him staying with more of a potential move in the off-season rather than the stretch/playoff run. Even though his game isn't BB style it is still a nice change of pace in his style of play as long as he has some consistent linemates who understand this.

02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyone not named Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin, Alzner, Varlamov, Poti could be had for the right deal....beyond those 6, I would move anyone for a deal to push us over the top.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Anyone not named Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin, Alzner, Varlamov, Poti could be had for the right deal....beyond those 6, I would move anyone for a deal to push us over the top.
Oh yeah.....#52 as well..

Old
02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Morrisonn
Any Draft Pick...1 thru 7. Don't care.
Lepisto
Perreault
Bouchard
Godfrey

While he's not in my bait list...I think Bourque could be a valuable asset to be used in a package deal as other teams would be asking specifically for him.

Nylander doesn't count.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's funny to see the HF syndrome here. Some people would rather hold onto a prized prospect (a prospect that may never make the NHL for any number of possible reasons), for an All Star/Norris neighborhood guy like Pronger.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
I have to say that I'm quite surprised to see so many of you willing to trade Caps #1 powerforward prospect away even thought he's having a good rookie season in AHL.

Do Caps have so many other promising powerforward prospects that they are willing to trade him away? I know he's been struggling lately, but IMO it would be a huge mistake if they trade him.

Tomppav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 02:49 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
I have to say that I'm quite surprised to see so many of you willing to trade Caps #1 powerforward prospect away even thought he's having a good rookie season in AHL.

Do Caps have so many other promising powerforward prospects that they are willing to trade him away? I know he's been struggling lately, but IMO it would be a huge mistake if they trade him.
I think we're all thinking in terms of a Pronger-like guy (or very significant upgrade) coming back. You have to do what makes your team better and you have to know when the time is right to take a shot. I hope Osala has a long successful career in DC, but I would move him for the right upgrade on D. You have to give something good to get something good.

Old
02-03-2009, 02:49 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I don't think the Caps have another power forward prospect as promising as Osala but they have the best power forward in the game and he isn't very old.

I think we all know that we have to give to get and the 2 best assets the Caps have that aren't currently in the NHL is Osala and Carlson. I think Carlson is a bigger team need then Osala, nothing against the guy and I think he will have a great career but we gotta give something good to get something good. If the return isn't a top pairing D that can play a lot of time on the PK then I don't think Osala is on the table.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post

Right now, the Caps have Fehr, a prized #1 pick that can barely crack a full lineup.
They have Bourque, who clearly outplayed Fehr to earn a roster spot in camp, but lost out because of his waiver excempt status. They have Osala.

Realistically, they have three players that should be NHL players and only one roster spot. It had been considered that Kozlov would not return after this season to open up a 2nd spot or that Fleischmann would flunk out or both. But just the opposite is happening with Fleischmann and Kozlov.

If Pronger or Kaberle are on the table, I am fairly sure McPhee is willing to exchange whichever of the three(Fehr, Bourque, & Osala) that is requested.

The bottom line is that the Caps have more quality prospects than they will ever use and they have no space on the roster for forwards already.

Old
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
oneydcat*

as painful as it would be to part with semin but following the "you have to give up something to get something" i might consider

to anaheim: semin
nylander
2009 3rd

to wash: pronger
2009 1st

maybe the ducks would have to send some salary back to the caps. i dont know.... just pondering

oneydcat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm not interested in moving much at all for a rental. Picks, Jurcina, Lepisto, etc.

For someone who can help the team beyond this year like Kaberle or Pronger, the only non-roster players I wouldn't move are Alzner and Varlamov.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Foy

I'm surprised not many have mentioned Finley yet. I think he'd be a prime example of someone that could get moved.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm surprised not many have mentioned Finley yet. I think he'd be a prime example of someone that could get moved.
I Finley!

Seriously, I think most people aren't mentioning him because a.) they haven't seen him play and don't know what he's worth, and/or b.) they've heard he was a huge defenseman with a serious mean streak... something we've been lacking since Tinordi, and they don't want to give that up.

As for who I would be willing to give up:

Anyone but Ovie, Green, Backstrom, Semin (unless it was the motherload... like Phaneuf, but that ain't happening unless I'm playing on the PS3), Alzner, Varlamov and Carlson. And I would really rather not give up core/locker room guys like Poti, Laich, Kozlov, Erskine, Bradley, Brashear, Fedorov, Fehr/Flash (keep one at least). But I doubt any of them would be traded anyways.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
FrankM73

Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, Finley, Gustafsson, Osala represent the future core of the Caps... Given Carlson's camp last year and Finley's reputation, I'd be hesitant to move either... even for Pronger...

I'd rather overpay will Morrisonn, Schultz, Godfrey, Osala and a first then with Carlson or Finley... since one or both may turn out to be STUD's!

however, if you had to throw one in a trade, I'd do:
Morrisonn, Finley, 1st in 2009

Realistically, this org philosphy is to let our assets develop... and I'd prefer Carlson, Finley, and the big ones to be kept and overpay in draft picks and other assets... yes, I know, that's unreasonable... but hey, I'd rather keep the pipeline a moving with prospects

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote