HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Penguins vs. Red Wings, 02/08/97

Old
08-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Sentinel

vCash: 500
Penguins vs. Red Wings, 02/08/97

An extended highlights video. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous game. The ice has rarely seen more talent in one game than this one. Lemiuex, Jagr, Nedved, Francis vs. Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Larionov.

A hat-trick from Shanahan, a double from Lemieux. Lidstrom makes three bad plays, showing that he wasn't quite up there yet. Detroit has two goals disallowed. Notice how Fedorov plays with Yzerman and Sandstrom, and Larionov with Shanny and McCarty.

Fantastic hockey. And, of course, there are robots

Last edited by Sentinel: 08-04-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2015, 10:40 PM
GMR

Great highlights. Did they not call hooking that season in the NHL? The Wings got away with murder there many times.

Poor Lalime and Vernon looked like deer in the headlights in that clip.

It's easy to see, though, why the Pens couldn't make it far in the playoffs with those rosters. Plenty of offensive talent, but the defense and goaltending would never get them anywhere.

And I'm guessing Lapointe was the center on the Kozlov and Holmstrom line?

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Plural

vCash: 50
When you have a one single game with almost 27 minutes of highlights, you know it's some good hockey.

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Sentinel

I dunno, Vernon bailed Detroit out many times. Vladdy and Nik just can't contain Lemiuex and Jagr!

Fedorov's disallowed goal was ********.

Old
08-04-2015, 10:11 AM
overg

Ahhhh, this takes me back. I watched this game live. Some stray observations from nearly two decades later:

1. Fox Robots. The years have softened me on Fox puck, which I tend to view with a good natured chuckle. But oh my, you're not going to get more "90's" than the animated robots who appear after every goal.

2. Lemieux and Jagr near their peaks were just ridiculous together. Guys, let someone else have the puck.

3. Nothing brought out beast mode Fedorov like playing against the best. He just played at a whole other gear when against the likes of Lemieux, Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros and Gretzky.

4. Interesting how different the Wings' lines looked compared to what they would be against the Flyers in the finals. Scotty was still in his "everyone plays with everyone" mode, although it looks like the Grind Line was a thing through most of this game.

5. I certainly remembered the rise of obstruction during this time, but what I didn't remember was just how much slashing went on back then.

6. Anyone who thinks the stars of the 90's couldn't perform today should check out this game. It sure seems to me that the scoring opportunities were much more the result of "stars being stars" than "teams didn't know how to play defense."

7. You get to see three "patented moves" in these highlights. Lemieux's breakaway wrister (he hits the crossbar, which was about the only way he wouldn't score with this move), Fedorov's blowing by the defender on the outside and then throwing the puck to himself toward the middle of the ice (leads to Yzerman's rebound goal), and Shanahan's score behind the net. I've always loved a good "go to" move, and you get to see three of them in this one game alone. You also get to see Jagr being Jagr, which wasn't so much a move as a state of being.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Mr Pipe

vCash: 111
I was at this game, right behind the Penguins bench. I was 6 years old. This was Scotty's 1000th win as a head coach.

Can't watch the video right now because it's blocked at work, but maybe I could see myself in it

Mr Pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Sentinel

I remember that game too. I was kinda down on my Wings, figuring that had they not won the Cup after the 62 win season, they probably never will (Yzerman shared my sentiments at the time), but "Scotty's 1000th Win" was marketed high and wide.

Last edited by Sentinel: 08-12-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old
08-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Hippasus

I saw this game in its entirety a few months ago. I was just trying to get a sense of prime Lemieux's goal scoring abilities. I believe his stat line is 2G, 1A. I echo the sentiment that it was an unbelievable display of talent in a single regular season game. I think it was a game that on the surface Pittsburgh should have won, but Yzerman, Shanahan, and Fedorov put the Red Wings on their backs and willed their team to victory as the visiting team. They may have done so for Bowman's 1000th, to give him credit. I wish games were like this again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Fedorov's disallowed goal was ********.
In my opinion he did bump Lalime as the latter was supposed to get across and that should be goalie interference.

Last edited by Hippasus: 08-04-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 02:07 PM
GMR

Felt strange seeing Lidstrom looking like Aki Berg on a few shifts.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Mount Suribachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
. You also get to see Jagr being Jagr, which wasn't so much a move as a state of being.
QFT.

What did you have to do to get a hooking penalty back then?

Loved the mullets in the crowd.

Loved the Pens uniforms even more

Jagr, with mullet, in his prime, in that livery = perfection.

What an awesome video, so entertaining. Needs to be posted on the main board for all the young 'uns.

Mount Suribachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Hippasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
What an awesome video, so entertaining. Needs to be posted on the main board for all the young 'uns.
Done.

Old
08-04-2015, 05:14 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

For the guy asking about hooking, the way the infraction was called around 97 used to be real, real stupid. If you fell, dive or not, it was an automatic call in the first two periods. If you didn't fall, it was almost never a penalty no matter the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippasus View Post
I saw this game in its entirety a few months ago. I was just trying to get a sense of prime Lemieux's goal scoring abilities. I believe his stat line is 2G, 1A. I echo the sentiment that it was an unbelievable display of talent in a single regular season game. I think it was a game that on the surface Pittsburgh should have won, but Yzerman and Fedorov put the Red Wings on their backs and willed their team to victory as the visiting team. They may have done so for Bowman's 1000th, to give him credit. I wish games were like this again!

In my opinion he did bump Lalime as the latter was supposed to get across and that should be goalie interference.
Haven't watched this in a few days, but from memory I think Kozlov might have been the shooter on the goal you're talking about. Think you and Sentinel might not be talking about the same goal, in other words.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Hippasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Haven't watched this in a few days, but from memory I think Kozlov might have been the shooter on the goal you're talking about. Think you and Sentinel might not be talking about the same goal, in other words.
You are right. We are talking about a different disallowed goals. Except it was Jamie Pushor rather than Kozlov. Totally understandable mistake though since all of Fedorov, Kozlov, and Pushor have at least one 'o' in them, plus the boatload of fast-paced highlights. The late 90s were very different with how they called goals with respect to activity around the crease. They were pretty strict about that.

Old
08-04-2015, 07:39 PM
livewell68

Lemieux and Jagr were unreal together back then.

Man I miss the good old days.

Fedorov was also amazing back then.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 07:40 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Felt strange seeing Lidstrom looking like Aki Berg on a few shifts.
A prime Lemieux and Jagr used to shred Lidstrom.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Big Phil

The only black eye at that time was that there was still the crease rule in that brief 2-3 year window. Other than that, great hockey.

It is funny how Lemieux knew full well he was retiring, and may have been losing some gas in the tank but he was still the best player in the world at this time.

This is even before the blood game between Colorado and Detroit. In all honesty, and I know I thought this in February 1997, the idea was that Detroit was a soft, choking team while Colorado was a potential dynasty. Not to mention leading the NHL in points this season.

I remember this time because when I was in Florida I met a guy on the beach from Philly who was a huge hockey fan and we talked it up and we both agreed the Cup final was going to be Philly vs. Colorado. Detroit was honestly getting to be an afterthought at this time.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

So... Much... Better

Bring back that hockey.

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2015, 11:06 AM
patnyrnyg

My 21st birthday. I never saw this game, because I was at Rangers-Isles at the coliseum that afternoon. Rangers won and Mess had a hattrick, have checked for highlights of the game on You Tube, but have never found anything.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2015, 11:50 AM
danincanada

I remember this game. It was really fun to watch with all that star power. As a Red Wings fan the ending was great and great to see Bowman hit that mile stone in such an entertaining game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
A prime Lemieux and Jagr used to shred Lidstrom.
Lidstrom didn't look great in these highlights but they rarely faced each other. Usually two games a season and no playoff encounters. Jagr's totals against the Red Wings aren't very impressive for him either. In 36 games he's had 11 goals and 33 points. Not all against Lidstrom of course but I don't recall much "shredding" going on.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...grja01/splits/

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Sentinel

Lidstrom wasn't The Lidstrom yet. Heck, Murphy hasn't been acquired yet!

I was talking about Fedorov's goal, when Sandstrom was called for a foot in the crease, being on a different continent from Lalime.

Old
08-05-2015, 01:37 PM
blogofmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
I remember this game. It was really fun to watch with all that star power. As a Red Wings fan the ending was great and great to see Bowman hit that mile stone in such an entertaining game.

Lidstrom didn't look great in these highlights but they rarely faced each other. Usually two games a season and no playoff encounters. Jagr's totals against the Red Wings aren't very impressive for him either. In 36 games he's had 11 goals and 33 points. Not all against Lidstrom of course but I don't recall much "shredding" going on.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...grja01/splits/
Jagr's totals are a tad underwhelming because of all the recent games. I think he has 7 points in his last 12 games against them. He didn't really go off on them anyways though.

Between 1991 and 1997 Lemieux had 7 goals and 14 points in 8 games against the Wings when Lidstrom was in the lineup. Which seems to be in the normal range for a prime Lemieux, but above what you'd expect Detroit to surrender.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This was the Stanley Cup matchup many hockey publications predicted to happen year after year. I specifically remember the 1994 Sporting News Hockey Yearbook and I believe The Hockey News as well calling this to happen.

I guess we did get to see it eventually, in 2008 and 2009.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2015, 03:36 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Lemieux missed a breakaway (well he hit the post and had the goalie beat) , a rarity to see.

Awesome video.

Edit: 8:25 Jagr dangles Lidstrom

Jagr looks better than Lemieux in that game (and everybody else).He probably was all year long in 96-97, Lemieux is skating with a piano on his back but plays like a chess grandmaster to get all the points.

Also, Francis what a missed open net in OT after a perfect play by Lemieux

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 08-07-2015 at 03:57 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2015, 04:00 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
1. Fox Robots. The years have softened me on Fox puck, which I tend to view with a good natured chuckle. But oh my, you're not going to get more "90's" than the animated robots who appear after every goal.
I'd take robots over those weird player promos they do now where the player is standing and blinking next to his stats for ten seconds.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Wow at Lidstrom giving the puck away to Mario Lemieux for a breakaway, and an even bigger wow for Mario not actually scoring on it.

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote