HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #52: Graves Night - 02.03.09 | Atlanta @ NY Rangers | 8:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Black Aces

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Nylander looks great on the PP for the Caps...
Not worth the years he got.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Larry Melnyk

Let's see, to win we need some offense....some goals.....Oh here's a great idea, let's play a guy who has like 7 points in 71 games for 17 freaking minutes--more then all but 3-4 forwards.......THat's how you generate offense!

yes, this is not as crucial as the impotent play of our top high-paid forwards, but it's the type of thinking that has Renney and his boys losing to cellar dwellers and losing more games then they have won since Novemeber 1st (19 - 20 and being outscored by over 20 to boot)! But numbers mean nothing.....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
Not worth the years he got.
Hence, the little orange man with one eye closed.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
045NYR

I was there and they looked horrible. Zheredev hit the crossb ar or whatever and since that point they sucked.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
In your opinion, have the Rangers played a bad game in the past 3 seasons?
What the **** does the past three seasons have to do anything with thsi conversation?

PLEASE stop suiting your own agenda.

The Rangers played a good game tonight.

They BADLY out shot their opponent. They controlled the flow of the game for majority of the game.

They didn't score. That doesn't mean they played a bad game.

Do you think that possibly, just maybe, people overreact after EVERY loss? I think that's the case.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Gomez is a very good player when paired with the right system and players.

He has none of that here.
How do you expect to get those players when Gomez, a 4-5 million dollar player, is earning 7 million?

Quote:
He is overpaid but to say he isn't a good player is ludicrious.
I didn't say he's a bad player. I just said he isn't THAT good. He's a second-line player. Streaky, one-dimensional, motivational problems, poor decision-making.

If you take every player in this league who scores in the statistical bracket that Gomez does, the 60-70 point getters, I'll take almost all of those guys over Gomez, even if he was being paid as much as he should be.

Why would you ever want to put a player on your team that needs so many things to be just so for him to be successful? Guys like him are a pain in the ass. You want to build a team with players that make other players around them better. Gomez doesn't do that. Gomez needs a million different circumstances to be just so. He needs other players to make him better.

Quote:
Wade Redden on the other hand....well most ppl know how I feel about him on here
If Wade Redden's contract is the league's worst, which it most certainly is, Gomez's isn't far behind. It downright frightens me that this team's management thought these were smart moves to make. I just can't get past it, how incredibly moronic this is and how simply wrong the direction this team is heading in is.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Do you play hockey? Honestly?

You understand that shots from the circles are good shots.

You know that teams don't get 20 shots on goal from the slot, right?

You know that teams defend scoring areas, right?

You know that the different in this game was the Rangers didn't capitalize on their scoring chances in front, right?

This B.S. about perimeter shots is bogus. This is not basketball.

In hockey, there is NO SUCH THINGS as a bad shot on goal.
Your last sentence can justify why exactly Gomez is shooting the puck more correct? Maybe a rebound chance. Catch a goalie off guard. Or sometimes he or other shooters might shoot simply to avoid making a dumb pass!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Black Aces

Quote:
Hence, the little orange man with one eye closed.
my bad.

Old
nyrangersfan39

overall i thought lehtonen played very well but not great. he's not a horrible goalie. but still, 40 shots is overrated as they werent as challenging. well, im at loss of words cause how stoic and mundane the rangers played. it's time for some change; any change. im sick of watching this garbage they put out on ice. it's an embarrassment, especially in front of mess, richt, leetch and graves and other greats who even showed up to witness this atrocity. and im sick of watching 4th line always getting more ice time than they deserve. why not put our rookies on ice? anyways, at least Henk played solid. Also, idk about you all but i rather now want rangers to just tank the remaining games and try to get a lottery pick (though not likely), esp with tavares and hedman coming up, rather than barely making playoffs getting going no where.

in all, this team will get knocked out of 1st round unless Henk plays like dominik hasek from his sabres days or like j.s giguere when he won conn smythe trophy few years back. I just feel so bad for him to carry all the burden that he doesn't deserve.

nyrangersfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Renney is supposed to be this defensive minded coach, yet 3 years ago Jagr took over the Ranger record for most points in a season. I mean goals, assists, everything. He played more games than Ratelle who is second but still. He passed graves with 54 goals.
The year after the lockout was the highest scoring season in NHL history as players were adjusting to the new rules. I mean, Gomez managed to score 33 goals, Gionta had 48 goals, and our own Prucha had 30 goals. Not to take anything away from Jagr, but that year was really an anomaly in terms of goal scoring.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
I agree that 40 shots is very good..but it seems like every night a goalie just has a great game against us..eventually we might have to realize that goalies cant play out of their minds every night and perhaps is us thats making them look good...
It is an issue that many have been talking about since the summer.

This team does not have a player that can score on a consistent basis.

Plain and simple.

Does that mean they didn't control this game? No. They played a solid game. They didn't score.

Old
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
What the **** does the past three seasons have to do anything with thsi conversation?

PLEASE stop suiting your own agenda.

The Rangers played a good game tonight.

They BADLY out shot their opponent. They controlled the flow of the game for majority of the game.

They didn't score. That doesn't mean they played a bad game.

Do you think that possibly, just maybe, people overreact after EVERY loss? I think that's the case.
I think that possibly, just maybe, this team and this organization are infallible in certain people's eyes.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

On a side not, because I really dont want to get into the mess that is our team, Eric Reitz looked very good as a 6th D-Man for us imo. Love the feisty game he brings.

Lord knows as you all do how much Ive preached my thought on Renny and his ******** 1-2-2 no forecheck system, so I dont feel it necessary to go into that tirade tonight.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Considering there are so many lately...no.

Old
zarao

This team is hard to watch. I don't care where they finish anymore. I want entertainment. At this point i'd take the Kelly Kisio led Rangers. At least they had a frigg'n PP.

zarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
How do you expect to get those players when Gomez, a 4-5 million dollar player, is earning 7 million?

I didn't say he's a bad player. I just said he isn't THAT good. He's a second-line player. Streaky, one-dimensional, motivational problems, poor decision-making.

If you take every player in this league who scores in the statistical bracket that Gomez does, the 60-70 point getters, I'll take almost all of those guys over Gomez, even if he was being paid as much as he should be.

Why would you ever want to put a player on your team that needs so many things to be just so for him to be successful? Guys like him are a pain in the ass. You want to build a team with players that make other players around them better. Gomez doesn't do that. Gomez needs a million different circumstances to be just so. He needs other players to make him better.

If Wade Redden's contract is the league's worst, which it most certainly is, Gomez's isn't far behind. It downright frightens me that this team's management thought these were smart moves to make. I just can't get past it, how incredibly moronic this is and how simply wrong the direction this team is heading in is.
I said it before in this thread but as a fan of the Knicks I feel they are heading in a much better direction than the Rangers are. Last year I would not have said that.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
I think that possibly, just maybe, this team and this organization are infallible in certain people's eyes.
And to be fair, unjustly ripped about everything by others.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
True.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Your last sentence can justify why exactly Gomez is shooting the puck more correct? Maybe a rebound chance. Catch a goalie off guard. Or sometimes he or other shooters might shoot simply to avoid making a dumb pass!
And all of those reasons are valid reasons to shoot the puck.

If you can shoot the puck and make the goaltender work, then you do it.

If you have no pass, don't force one, that's what causes turn overs.

If you have a guy coming in for a rebound, get the puck on net.

Unless your team is on a line change, and could dump it, why not shoot?

It's amazing, people whined that they didn't shoot enough when Jagr was here. "They ONLY looked for the optimal shot" remember that? Now people are complaining because they are shooting from all over the ice, and some of those shots are not optimal shots...

Old
02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
No.

I think that maybe when the team plays a good game, it should not be said they played poorly, just because they lost.

Unfortunately, that's how life works. Sometimes you try your best, and you fail.

Old
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
It goes both ways, but some people get really defensive around here. No need for people to take it personally when there is a difference of opinion. It's good to see a diversity of viewpoints.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
nicely put.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:

Do you play hockey? Honestly?

You understand that shots from the circles are good shots.

You know that teams don't get 20 shots on goal from the slot, right?

You know that teams defend scoring areas, right?

You know that the different in this game was the Rangers didn't capitalize on their scoring chances in front, right?

This B.S. about perimeter shots is bogus. This is not basketball.

In hockey, there is NO SUCH THINGS as a bad shot on goal.
True, but some shots are better than others, especially when you generate traffic in front (something the Rangers need to do more of).

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

OK so I watched my first whole Rangers game start to finish since the washington 4-0 game.

The rangers played a very safe and sound game and Lehtonen made at least 6-10 saves he NEVER makes, and of course Z hitting the post early.

Drury did three things tonight that drove me nuts

1) He had a possible 2-on-1 and instead pulled up. Only Gretzky is allowed to do that.

2) He had a chance to chip the puck out of the zone but stopped, assuming somebody else would do it. He gambled wrong and Atlanta and Little almost scored

3) He lost two straight faceoffs in the D-zone of the PK.

Not trying to single him out for the losing streak but he typified just how tight these guys are playing, trying to make the perfect play.

Lundy also should shoulder some of the blame. 2-for-2 on shootouts. But hey, he can't win them all.

They had practically 3 nights off to prepare for a very emotional and must-win game and they really were really tense.

I don't know what to say anymore. I'll just wait and see.

But in all honesty, i just knew they were going to lose tonight.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Levitate

Pretty much did everything right except score.

If there's one small, easy thing they could do, it'd be to time their shots better so someone is getting to the net when they take the shot, instead of just constantly throwing the puck at the net from wherever

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote