HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Jobless thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
DockEllisExperience

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
if you have a BA, you can find work in Korea. Not shabby pay, either, assuming you speak English.
What type of work?

I got laid off from a CPA firm in March and have only had a couple bites. Funny part is I hated accounting, but my parents told me it was a "safe" field, thanks mom and dad...

I have had a couple bites however and have an interview Monday for an internal audit position. I've only been looking in Pittsburgh though, I have no want to move,

Old
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
What type of work?

I got laid off from a CPA firm in March and have only had a couple bites. Funny part is I hated accounting, but my parents told me it was a "safe" field, thanks mom and dad...

I have had a couple bites however and have an interview Monday for an internal audit position. I've only been looking in Pittsburgh though, I have no want to move,
Teaching English as a second language. I've toyed with the idea myself, just can't bring myself to commit to spending half a year to a year on the other side of the planet for a job I might not like.

05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Teaching English as a second language. I've toyed with the idea myself, just can't bring myself to commit to spending half a year to a year on the other side of the planet for a job I might not like.
And you don't have to know Korean?

Old
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

I like what I do. I make $1700 per paycheque tax free. Guess that makes me not jobless.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
And you don't have to know Korean?
No, don't have to know any. I think the majority of Koreans can speak some English, especially younger generations. It would certainly help of course but I'd imagine you can get by just fine with English. From what I've been told by a couple Korean friends most places over there don't care if you are an actual teacher or not, they just want somebody who can speak English and is educated. Being from the US (or England) improves your chances of finding a contract, too. But....is it worth living in a completely different culture? Depends on whether you'd think of it as a great experience while in your youth or just a waste of time.

Old
05-15-2009, 04:03 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Well

I am gettin sacked on monday

that sucks

Old
05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Cheli

I'm a first year co-op university student, just spent a co-op term unemployed, back on an academic term and about to start the job searching process for my next work term.

I had about a dozen interviews last term, most of them "ranked" me, none of them offered me the job and I guess the people ranked above me wanted them.

I didn't really have any contacts (my parents' workplaces aren't suitable for my job search) so I didn't really have any luck on my own, especially since nobody wants to hire so late (and an inexperienced first year student at that).

Good news is that I've heard, due to all this economy business, our job this term doesn't have to be related to our program/field to be approved.

Bad news is that I've never had a job in my life and I've got poor grades on top of that, even failed a class last term (and they package the grades along with the resume).

Wish me luck.

Old
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Just graduated college, interview tomorrow morning. I want the job to finally get one and make money, but I don't want the job so I can waste my life on HFboards and being lazy

Old
05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Hockeynomad

Quote:
What type of work?

I graduated in accounting in 1981 in Montreal and it wasn't until 1984 that I was working steady and at a low entry poistion. That experience really affected my career.

I sent out 500 resumes in that period and that was before PCs and word processor.

Typing cover letters on an old typewriter. Only good part was postage was only 17 cents that time.

You jut have to perservere. Do some retraining to show that you make the most of time unemployed. Be a treasurer for an not-for-profit group.

Damn things are so slow now, I have time to visit here.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Happy Pony

Whoo, I quit my old job I was working at the grocery (9.75/hr FML) to join the management program at an electronics/appliance store opening nearby. Starting out managing either home stereo/audio or hand held electronics and I'll be working 4 days a week (Sat/Sun 11 hrs each and two 9 hr days of my choice M-F). The best part being that the store doesn't open for another 5 weeks, but I'll be paid hourly for going to training three days a week for the next 2 before interviews for a week then 2 more weeks of training, so there will still be some cash coming in and lots of time to play golf and watch the finals.

Old
05-28-2009, 12:17 AM
steamtrain
shred photog

I finally start a new p/t job as a valet on friday... but my wife lost hers a few weeks ago. Eating lots of pasta from my last costco run in the meantime. Mmm. Spaghetti and... margarine. Mmmmmm.

I usually work in mining exploration, taking a helicopter to work and pulling about 5-6k a month... haven't been in the bush since last august. I've never had to cold call so many companies just to get a sniff of potential work... hopefully, I have enough resumes out there now that I won't be parking cars for too long into the summer.

Old
05-28-2009, 12:46 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm about to start my new job next week.

I really suggest people, especially the younger people still in college or just out of post-secondary, try to get some volunteering, especially in the field you want to get into. Some companies can't afford to pay people right now, but if you're willing to work for free they might take you on. This gets your foot in and gives you an opportunity either with that company or with another, especially if you have experience.

This is just coming from personal experience, most of my interviewers were really interested in my volunteer experience, more so than my work experience.

Old
05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
I finally start a new p/t job as a valet on friday... but my wife lost hers a few weeks ago. Eating lots of pasta from my last costco run in the meantime. Mmm. Spaghetti and... margarine. Mmmmmm.

I usually work in mining exploration, taking a helicopter to work and pulling about 5-6k a month... haven't been in the bush since last august. I've never had to cold call so many companies just to get a sniff of potential work... hopefully, I have enough resumes out there now that I won't be parking cars for too long into the summer.
Scratch that, no parking cars for me! Back to the wild on monday, lookin for gold and pullin mad coin...

Old
05-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Berkut

Send a message via MSN to Berkut
Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
Scratch that, no parking cars for me! Back to the wild on monday, lookin for gold and pullin mad coin...
You fly helicopters? That's so awesome! What model did you flew? I know some companies in BC use Russian made Kamov helicopters, ever flew those? How long is the training to be a pilot?

Old
05-28-2009, 11:43 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
You fly helicopters? That's so awesome! What model did you flew? I know some companies in BC use Russian made Kamov helicopters, ever flew those? How long is the training to be a pilot?
I don't fly helicopters, helicopters fly me! I'm a prospector... the chopper takes me into the bush, and I run around looking for gold. Mainly working out of the Hughes / MD 500, Jetranger, or A-Star.

No heli budget where I'm going this summer, though. Maybe that'll change down the line, but I'm not in a position to complain.

I'm not too sure what the training is like to be a heli pilot, but it isn't all that long... just really expensive. I know some pretty dense kids who've gone through it and are flying now. The hardest part is getting flight hours when you first start out... no one wants to fly with a green pilot, especially on the BC coast where its foggy almost all the time. I know I won't get in a machine with someone who just started flying.

I've never flown in a Kamov machine, but the last couple years, one of the big mine construction projects here was using the bigass Mi-26 chopper for their heavy lift stuff. Saw it in the air a few times... ****ing behemoth.

Old
06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Happy Pony

Anyone in DC need a quick $500?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...126876415.html

Old
06-07-2009, 01:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm hoping the recent silence in this thread is a good sign.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm hoping the recent silence in this thread is a good sign.
no good signs for me.

Old
06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
corneo

I experience my first and hopefully last laid off experience in my career. I like what I was doing but at the same time I knew I shouldn't get too comfortable. I also wanted to go back to school for my masters. So last November, I started applied to universities. I didn't tell anyone in my immediate work group regarding my plans that I would leave if I got into school.

The timing couldn't have been better. I got into 3 schools, however only one of them offered financial aid. I filed my acceptance papers and later that week the company announced 2700 job cuts. Each employee would be notified whether they are being let go or not in 3 weeks. I took my boss aside and told him that I would be fine if I was let go, I'm single, don't have a house payment, don't have any attachments to the area, so a job loss would not affect me as much as others. One week later he took me into a conference room and said I was let go. I got 5 month severance and can collect $1900/month (pre-tax) in unemployment benefits. Now i just sit and chill until I start school in September.

Old
06-14-2009, 03:49 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
I kind of understood that whole add until I got to "or someone who genuinely likes to make children cry"

...What the ****?

Old
07-07-2009, 04:22 AM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

well i got laid off last week, not enough people drinking in TO. Looking, doesnt look promising either, maybe its back to Aus and back into the Air Force...

Old
07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Power2ThePenguins

Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Joining the party, or however much of a party you consider this. I got fired today after working as a sales assistant for seven months. This is my second consecutive job loss since I got laid off from a call center after being there six months.

I have my degree in mass communications with a journalism emphasis, but lack of newspaper jobs sent me on the path I did. Even though I wrote for my college paper and did an internship at a small weekly, I still couldn't land a writing job.

I wanted to work for a sports team but am reconsidering that since ticket sales seems to be the only thing available, and since I just got fired from a sales job, I don't think ticket sales is the best path.

I graduated from college last year, but it seems like I just need to figure things out some more. Different career path maybe?

Old
07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
I'm a first year co-op university student, just spent a co-op term unemployed, back on an academic term and about to start the job searching process for my next work term.
Wish me luck.
Update from me. Yesterday I got a job match for September-December through my school's database after doing an interview with a software company. It sounds like a pretty routine/repetitive/boring QA job, but I'm pretty stoked because, as I said, I've never had a job in my life and I'm not a great student. This is probably going to be a really good first job for me; doesn't really require past experience and I could potentially learn a lot. Plus, the company is founded by a graduate of my school (and program, actually) and employs lots of co-op students. I'll be emailing them shortly to confirm salary, starting date, etc. Average co-op salary for first-years is something in the $550-600 CAD/week range, but since I'll be living at home and taking public transit, I don't think I'd even mind if it's minimum wage. (I've probably jinxed myself with that sentence)

Old
07-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Celestial Black

Job went out of business last week. Damn economy.

Old
07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Power2ThePenguins

Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Well after being out of work for a week and a half I have put in about 10 applications. Not ONE phone call yet. Next week is going to be my week where I follow up on applications. The only thing resembling a prospect right now is waitressing or hostessing at a sports bar here...and they aren't even hiring until the end of next month.

I may be going to a job fair at a mail order pharmacy on Wednesday, but the only shifts they have available...the hours kinda stink. It's either Thurs-Sat or Sun-Weds and both shifts are from 3 p.m.-1:30 a.m.

At least I am managing to secure references; one person offered to help me out and I contacted the other person and asked him and he said yes.

This is not what I had in mind last May at my graduation...at all. I picked a super-competitive field and now I'm regretting it all. It sucks too that most of my friends and family have jobs right now so I have to sit home and pound the pavement with no results while they collect paychecks. Ugh.

Closed Thread