HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

chickenman's mock draft feb 3/09

Old
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
chickenman's mock draft feb 3/09

1-New York Islanders -John Tavares, London
I've gone back and forth on who's the best fit for the isles, they do need someone who can sell tickets and give fans hope. I think Tavares can do that a bit better then Hedman

2-Atlanta Thrashers - Victor Hedman, Modo
No brainer here and hedman and bogo will be the most dominent duos in the league in a few years

3-Ottawa Senators - Jared Cowen, Spokane
The sen's need to start rebuilding that D and although duchene will be tempting Cowen and Karlsson will be a great pairing to watch for years

4-Tampa Bay Lightning -Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, Timra
I know TB needs D and maybe they go a little off the board and take ellis or depres. MSP is one of the top wingers in the draft and him and stamkos could make up a pretty good line one day

5-St Louis Blues - Matt Duchene, Brampton
BPA, Duchene will be a great 1A centre to berglund one day. maybe the fastest player in the draft. schroeder could tempt them here too

6-Toronto Maple Leafs - Evander Kane, Vancouver
Schenn, Kassian, schroeder or depres will tempt burke but I think he's seen enough of kane to know he's a little better then those guys. he could be their #1 centre or rw in a few years.

7-Nashville Predators - Jordan Schroeder, University of Minnesota
The preds look to re-unite wilson and schroeder. they need a scorer and have never worried about size. schenn is a maybe here seeing as they like the west

8-Los Angeles Kings - Brayden Schenn, Brandon
With a ton of D and decent goalies the kings would like to add some toughness to the wing, schenn is a great fit for that

9-Colorado Avalanche - Simon Despres, Saint John
Goaltending is a bit of a concern but so is D, Despres is big solid all around and can skate. is a real good fit there. if they want a bit more offense maybe they look at ellis, elliot or rundblad but I think they play it safe.

10-Vancouver Canucks -Jeremy Morin, U.S. Under-18
There are imo better players on the board but I can't see anyone in this draft the will compliment hodgson as much as morin. he needs to fill out a bit and work on his skating but imo is the 2nd best finisher in the draft and would thrive next to hodgson in the nhl. he also reminds me a bit of iginla with his firey play and shot

11-Phoenix Coyotes -Ryan Ellis, Windsor
Gretz love skill and ellis has a ton of that, the yotes also need a pp qb and ellis is that

12-Pittsburgh Penguins -Scott Glennie, Brandon
A pure scorer with a solid all around game and the speed to play with crosby. thay maybe tempted to go D with rundblad, elliott and kublikov out there but I think they want a wing for crosby

13-Columbus Blue Jackets - Dmitry Kulikov, Drummondville
They took a russian last year and they need a D too. kulikov is a great puck mover who's solid in his own end and can run a pp

14-Edmonton Oilers - Carter Ashton, Lethbridge
The oilers have been looking for size up front and since the penner thing isn't going so good ashton would be a solid fit there. maybe they look at holland or kadri there

15-Minnesota Wild- John Moore, Chicago
Minny needs to star rebuilding their D and moore is a solid D who skates very well, makes nice passes and is good in his own end

16-Carolina Hurricanes -David Rundblad, Skelleftea
Canes need a offensive mined puck moving D who can skate and that rundblad to a Tee. they may also go elliot or kassian to add some size up front

17-Dallas Stars - Nezem Kadri, London
Stars may get a steal here, Kadri is solid at both ends of the rink and can score

18-Florida Panthers - Zack Kassian, Peterborough
Big, physical power forward with a nasty streak. the kid plays pretty much like lucic in boston with maybe a tad better skill. the panthers new coach seems to be like a team that plays hard and is physical so kassian is a good pick here.

19-Anaheim Ducks -Stefan Elliott, Saskatoon
ducks blueline is getting a bit old and pronger is the only guy signed next year not that elliot will be ready by then. he's been called a poor mans neidermayer by some and would look good runing the ducks PP one day

20-Buffalo Sabres - Landon Ferraro, Red Deer
has tons of speed and is a solid finisher who hits a bit aswell. perfect for the sabres run and gun type system

21-Philadelphia Flyers Michael Lee, Fargo
imo the best goalie in the draft and philly's #1 need. there's rumors he has a bit of an additude problem but that has never scared philly off before. Stajcer, Roy or Pasquale could be an option here too

22-New York Rangers Peter Holland, Guelph
rangers get a steal here in holland, he's got size, is a pretty good skater and good hands, he reminds some of eric staal but i'm not sure about that. Panik is also an option

23-Montréal Canadiens -Louis Leblanc, Omaha
the canadians have been waiting for a french canadian star and leblanc may be that one day, reminds me of simon gagne. thay may have to wait 4 years for him though while he's at harvard but they have enough depth till then

24-Calgary Flames Richard Panik, Trinec
Flames get a steal here. Panik has all the tools to be a star one day, size, speed and skill and he's the BPA

25-Chicago Blackhawks Scott Stajcer, Owen Sound
Hawks are pretty deep at D and forwards but could use a tad of help at goalie. Stajcer is big, athletic and very good. Palmieri or Josefson they would look at too

26-New Jersey Devils Dylan Olsen, Camrose
Devils have had a lot of sucess with junior A kids and there needs are D and a goalie, the goalie can wait til the 2nd rd. Olsen has size and can skate very well, he just needs to fill out a bit. roy or pasquale will get looks to.

27-Washington Capitals Kyle Palmieri, U.S. Under-18
BPA, is a great skater who can play wing or centre, is solid in all 3 zones, has good skill and finishes his checks and he's a good leader who scores a lot of big goals. might one day develop into a mike richards type of guy

28-Detroit Red Wings Calvin de Haan, Oshawa
high skilled D who solid in his own zone, great passer and handles the puck at high speed as good as any D in the draft. won the puck control event at the prospects game.

29-Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks) Zach Budish, Edina High
with 2 first's the sens can take a gamble on a kid who's missed the season with a torn acl. he has all the tools that if he recovers he could be one of the top 5 players in the draft. he's a 6"3 230 middle linebacker in school, great skater for his size, great hands and skill and a nasty streak

30-Boston Bruins Chris Kreider, Andover
ranked #14 right now the bruins will have the most info and best look at this kid seeing as he's a boston kid. he has all the tools to be a star he will just need some seasoning in college and the AHL.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by Ian Esplen: 02-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Ashton is a risky pick, I dont think he has that much size, at least not to fill in for Penner. If there is a miracle and Kadri is still there, Edmonton takes him.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Kingjordan

LA needs a sniper

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:01 PM
JeffYear92*

Van would take Ellis over Morin

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYear92 View Post
Yes, and Kadri over both most likely.

Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Jonathan Toews

i think penguins would take kadri

Jonathan Toews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Penguins dont need another player like Kadri, Glennie or Kassian would be the best picks for them. They need some grit, Both play like Getzlaf.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I love the pick for the Jackets.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenman92 View Post
2-Atlanta Thrashers - Victor Hedman, Modo
No brainer here and hedman and bogo will be the most dominent duos in the league in a few years
They may have some slight competition from Johnson-Pietrangelo...

Quote:
5-St Louis Blues - Matt Duchene, Brampton
BPA, Duchene will be a great 1A centre to berglund one day. maybe the fastest player in the draft. schroeder could tempt them here too
Duchene may well be the BPA at this point if MSP is off the table... at least according to the "conventional" wisdom.

Jarmo Kekalainen's BPA rankings, however, tend to be somewhat different than the "conventional" wisdom.

I really see Brayden Schenn as the guy most likely to be taken by the Blues at this point if Svensson-Paajarvi is off the table. Schenn has the intangibles that the Blues really like. Duchene may have them as well, but I just don't have the same warm-and-fuzzy feeling about him as I do about Schenn...

This isn't to say that I wouldn't gladly welcome Duchene into the fold with open arms; I just see Schenn as being a more likely pick for the Blues based on their recent draft history, and all else being more or less equal.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I love the pick for the Jackets.
Likewise, but I might prefer Rundblad. Seems to be a better puck mover IMO. Neither of the two would disappoint me though.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
tml145

i would love kane in Toronto
and if we get a second pick Kassian

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
15-Minnesota Wild- John Moore, Chicago
Minny needs to star rebuilding their D and moore is a solid D who skates very well, makes nice passes and is good in his own end
Actually, the Wild needs a forward that has goal scoring upside

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Ashton is a risky pick, I dont think he has that much size, at least not to fill in for Penner. If there is a miracle and Kadri is still there, Edmonton takes him.
I thought about kassian for edmonton but he has some skating issues and I figured the oilers like speed and ashton is a very good skater

as for ashton not having size, he's 6"3 200lbs at 17, he'll play at 220 in a few years, how big do you want him?

Kadri could be a possibility but like I said I see the oilers wanting a bit more size.

Old
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
LA needs a sniper
so do a lot of teams, schenn is the BPA I'm sure they would be happy with him

Old
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
what makes you say that? imo glennie is better then kadri

Old
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYear92 View Post
i don't think so, i think gillis will take the BPA and morin, glennie, or rundblad

Old
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
They may have some slight competition from Johnson-Pietrangelo...

Duchene may well be the BPA at this point if MSP is off the table... at least according to the "conventional" wisdom.

Jarmo Kekalainen's BPA rankings, however, tend to be somewhat different than the "conventional" wisdom.

I really see Brayden Schenn as the guy most likely to be taken by the Blues at this point if Svensson-Paajarvi is off the table. Schenn has the intangibles that the Blues really like. Duchene may have them as well, but I just don't have the same warm-and-fuzzy feeling about him as I do about Schenn...

This isn't to say that I wouldn't gladly welcome Duchene into the fold with open arms; I just see Schenn as being a more likely pick for the Blues based on their recent draft history, and all else being more or less equal.

P_B
just wondering why you think schenn is a more likely pick. they haven't taken a whler in the 1st rd in a long time
04- schwarz, 05 oshie, 06 johnson and berglund, 07 eller, cole and perron, 08 pietrangelo.

Old
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Actually, the Wild needs a forward that has goal scoring upside
i supose panik or leblanc could be an option for them

Old
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
JAVO16

I like the Mtl pick because we need center prospects badly, but I'm not sure if Leblanc is actually the BPA here. I know he's quebecer and all, but is he really better than Jacob Josefson or Panik ?? Also Josefson seems to be rated as a mid-first round pick by most agencies. What makes you think he'd drop out of the 1st round ?

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
i supose panik or leblanc could be an option for them
Those are good choices. The guys I have interest on actual draft day (and the Wild will probably pick) is Leblanc, Holland or Ferraro.

The Wild have a tendency to avoid foreign players (if given a choice between two) until later rounds because they have a bad history with foreigners (Kalus, Volenshenko, Fiala [sorta foreign])

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
I like the Mtl pick because we need center prospects badly, but I'm not sure if Leblanc is actually the BPA here. I know he's quebecer and all, but is he really better than Jacob Josefson or Panik ?? Also Josefson seems to be rated as a mid-first round pick by most agencies. What makes you think he'd drop out of the 1st round ?
other guys seem to be out playing him a bit and he's one of those players who does everything well but nothing really well so he don't stand out to me. he could go as high as 20 imo but i think he's more 30-40. imo he may be a tad better then some of the guys at the end of the 1st. i have him ranked 25-30, but he either doesn't fit that teams need or they don't really take swed's.

Old
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Those are good choices. The guys I have interest on actual draft day (and the Wild will probably pick) is Leblanc, Holland or Ferraro.

The Wild have a tendency to avoid foreign players (if given a choice between two) until later rounds because they have a bad history with foreigners (Kalus, Volenshenko, Fiala [sorta foreign])
yes i will agree the wild should take a scorer but they have needed that for awhile and havn't taken one. the wild seem to take guys with speed who are good defensively. the last scorer they took was pouliot and thats not going so well. I also think they need a young D too.

Old
02-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Joey Mac

If there's a goalie good enough to go in the first round then I'm fine with the Flyers pick... The biggest need to be addressed in the draft

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:28 AM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

I definately agree with the MTL pick of Leblanc, not only is he french canadian, but he also plays with Montreals first pick in last years draft Danny Kristo with the Omaha Lancers.

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Default101

I really like this mock draft, this has to be one of the best and most realistic one's i've seen. I'd argue that Ottawa would take MSP and Tampa would take Cowen, but that's why i made my own

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote