HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Mark Seidel's Blog: Early mock draft

Old
02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Mark Seidel's Blog: Early mock draft

Link

Quote:
8 Nashville Jordan Schroeder; Minnesota (NCAA) RW Another team that has their back end set, so they could go for the U.S.-born Schroeder, who has been very good at Minnesota.

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would be happy with Schroeder. I would be more happy with Kane and MPS. I only worry about Schroeder's size on an already small team. With that said, I absolutely do not think he will be a bust.

02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I rarely agree with Seidel, but I think he's got us pegged.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

No arguing his skill, but we need another small, soft forward like we need a hole in the head. I'd hope we'd do what we needed to do to nab Kane.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Where do people get this misconception that our forward prospects are all soft? The only ones that fit that bill are Mark Santorelli, O'Reilly, Stefishen, and Ryan. Maybe Mike Santorelli, but I saw him finish a couple of checks when he was in Nashville and he didn't seem uncomfortable in traffic at all.

I also don't get the small bit, since we have three prospects under 6' and only three forwards under 190 lbs.

Plus, if you consider players at 6'0"-190 as "small," then Evander Kane is also "small."

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 02-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We have been drafting heavily in forwards with size the past few years. Geoffrion is bigger, Spaling is bigger, Wilson are bigger, and I suspect all three will be on this team soon. We could absorb Schroeder's size, and if that is how the draft pans out, I will be very happy to have Schroeder on this team. He OOZES offensive talent, is US born, and has major leadership ability. Other than size, he is exactly what Poile loves to draft.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Where do people get this misconception that our forward prospects are all soft? The only ones that fit that bill are Mark Santorelli, O'Reilly, Stefishen, and Ryan.

I also don't get the small bit, since we have three prospects under 6' and only three forwards under 190 lbs.

Plus, if you consider players at 6'0"-190 as "small," then Evander Kane is also "small."
The only forward prospect that we have that I consider a legitimate NHL prospect that I WOULDN'T classify as "soft" is Ryan Jones. Of course, part of that is because we have so few legitimate NHL scoring prospects.

Old
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
plus we were supposed to get "bigger and tougher" this past offseason and look how well that has turned out for us.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The only forward prospect that we have that I consider a legitimate NHL prospect that I WOULDN'T classify as "soft" is Ryan Jones. Of course, part of that is because we have so few legitimate NHL scoring prospects.
I wouldn't consider Nick Spaling soft either. His play isnt the same as Jones, but can take and lay hits if needed.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
plus we were supposed to get "bigger and tougher" this past offseason and look how well that has turned out for us.
Unfortunately our strategy for doing so was "give big bottom line guys more minutes"

Old
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We have been drafting heavily in forwards with size the past few years. Geoffrion is bigger, Spaling is bigger, Wilson are bigger, and I suspect all three will be on this team soon. We could absorb Schroeder's size, and if that is how the draft pans out, I will be very happy to have Schroeder on this team. He OOZES offensive talent, is US born, and has major leadership ability. Other than size, he is exactly what Poile loves to draft.
well he isnt a blueliner

Old
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
I wouldn't consider Nick Spaling soft either. His play isnt the same as Jones, but can take and lay hits if needed.
I don't know how much I consider Spaling to be a sure thing, which is my point.

Old
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Unfortunately our strategy for doing so was "give big bottom line guys more minutes"
Ive been tremendously underwhelmed with Belak and Tarnasky before him.

Old
02-03-2009, 04:37 PM
braindead

Quote:
Spaling is pretty close to a sure thing. I'm not sure how you classify Colin Wilson as soft or not a sure thing.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Spaling is pretty close to a sure thing. I'm not sure how you classify Colin Wilson as soft or not a sure thing.
I see a lot of Jason Arnott in Colin Wilson. That's not to say he won't be a great NHLer...but banging first liner...I'm not so sure.

And despite great junior numbers, what has Spaling done to fall into the "sure thing" strata?

Old
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
braindead

Spaling is not pretty close to a sure thing as a "legitimate NHL prospect"? I don't see how you get there. He is having a solid 1st pro year, had great junior years, has been praised as poised beyond his years (paraphrasing) by his coach. I don't expect the world but I'd say he projects as a legit NHL prospect at this point.

I'd frankly be disappointed if Wilson turns out like Arnott. To paraphrase him "I'm not compared to Scott Hartnell, I'm compared to Rod the Bod". I can't see BU games but all the reports that I've seen led me to believe he has more of a bang and crash mentality than Arnott. Arnott is pretty damned soft so that's a low bar that I'd hope he would easily clear.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Wilson goes to the net more than Arnott does. Jason likes to hover around the slot so he can use his heavy slapper. Wilson goes to the net more, and he will get involved physically. I think the Arnott comparison's are close, but as all comparisons, not entirely accurate. Wilson isn't going to hit like Tootoo, but he is not going to be as passive physically as Arnott is game in and game out.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I see a lot of Jason Arnott in Colin Wilson. That's not to say he won't be a great NHLer...but banging first liner...I'm not so sure.

And despite great junior numbers, what has Spaling done to fall into the "sure thing" strata?
I believe it was a admirals fan who described him as David legwand without the hype of being a No.2 overall pick. Sounds like he could be a great 2 way third line center.

Arnott
Legwand
Spaling
Wilson
Geofferion(SP?)

The future seems to be bright down the middle.

As far as Schroeder goes I would be ESTATIC if that happens. I watched the kid in the WJC's and he can straight shoot the puck. At 8 he would likely be the best offensive talent left.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
The only forward prospect that we have that I consider a legitimate NHL prospect that I WOULDN'T classify as "soft" is Ryan Jones.
Jones
Wilson
Thang
Geoffrion
Spaling
Thuresson
Hörnqvist
Pihlström (although I'm not sure he's really a prospect anymore)

They may not bust people up like Chuck Norris, but I would hardly call any of those players "soft."