HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to pick a defenseman in the draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2004, 09:24 PM
markov`

vCash: 500
We need to pick a defenseman in the draft

Guys, we need to pick a defenseman in the 1st round next draft. After Komi and Hainsey, there's no more prospects (maybe Beauchemin and Korneev but those are not superstars). Sami Lepistö would be a great pick I think.

Old
03-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Why a defensman when we have Oskari Korpikari?!

I think that we're good at defense position and we don't have to hurry with that Brisebois, Rivet, Markov and Souray have a lot more seasons to play and Hainsey, Komi could complete them so when Brisebois going to have 38 years of age now we should be aware for the D position at the draft. For the moment it seems ok!

Old
03-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Traitor8

Ya for now it seems ok..but just to be sure..is Alex Picard a defenseman??

Old
03-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Ya for now it seems ok..but just to be sure..is Alex Picard a defenseman??
He is a left wing

Old
03-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Traitor8

oh ok ..then forget defenseman...

We have a lot right now...Korneev,Korpikari,LINHART, Beauchemin

Old
03-07-2004, 09:38 PM
markov`

Picard's a forward.

Maybe Gainey would trade for a top 3 pick and get Barker. This would rock!

Old
03-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Traitor8

Maybe that's why he's holding out on Plekanec and Hossa..

them with our 1st could get us very good return in the draft...OLESZ!..BARKER!

Old
03-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:

Yeah Beauchemin!

In the next draft there is a good group of defenders but surely not better than the 2003 one. There is Cam Barker an other WHLer, AJ Thelen, Wes O'Neil 2 guys from the US College who height about 6-3, 6-4 and Ladislav Smid who as a lot of talent I can't wait until next draft to see those guys gets picked!

Old
03-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Kirk Muller

Best Player Available, simple as that.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
If the best player available is a Defenseman.

I'm all for it since i agree another good def-prospect wouldnt hurt at this point.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
What I was about to say. Not to mention the fact that the rumours threads will die, but here comes the draft threads, sigh.

Old
03-07-2004, 11:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
Yeah Beauchemin!

In the next draft there is a good group of defenders but surely not better than the 2003 one. There is Cam Barker an other WHLer, AJ Thelen, Wes O'Neil 2 guys from the US College who height about 6-3, 6-4 and Ladislav Smid who as a lot of talent I can't wait until next draft to see those guys gets picked!
Thelen and O'Neil most likely won't be in this draft, they will be in the '05 draft unless the NCAA changes their rules (which they are trying to do, led by former NHLer Dave Poulin who's O'Neil's coach). I've seen both of them a few times, and I would pick Thelen in a heartbeat he's the 2nd youngest player in the NCAA yet has a lot of skills in both ends of the rink. Plus he's strong and throws some nice hits.

O'Neill isnt' bad either, but I think he's a tad overhyped from what I've seen. But I can't say for sure that either one or both will be in the draft this year, but if they are they have to leave the NCAA which would be a surprising move.

We are looking to pick around 20th right now, but their should be several very good picks left when we pick. Boris Valbik I could see us going for, I've seen him a few times and he looks to have a lot of raw abilities and he's pretty darn big.

There's also Green, Schultz, Fransson, Meszaros, Hedman who all seem solid but I have only seen Meszaros. Smid I wouldn't pick till later, wasn't sold on him at the wjc's. Later picks there's Siglet, several Russians like Lyamin, Klubertanz who I just watched plays in the USHL I am impressed and hope he falls to us. There's also Sersen, Leposito, Borer (ncaa), Lewis (ncaa), Belov and Nikitin from the remax games.

So there's several good defensemen out there, and not having our 2nd pick sucks, cause this draft gets much weaker after the top 50 or so, imo.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Another reason to go for a d-man is that good defensive prospects seem to be worth more then offensive prospects.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Agreed 100%

We could draft a defenceman in the 1st rd who turns into a bust or we could draft another Andrei Markov you never know what`s going to happen. All the wasted first rounders in the 90`s were because we drafted for need not skill.

If Gainey can somehow trade up to get Barker that`s just great if not take the best player.

And no way in hell our 1st (15-25 range) hossa/Perezhogin is going to land a possible franchise defenceman. Sorry Komi8

Old
03-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Agreed 100%

We could draft a defenceman in the 1st rd who turns into a bust or we could draft another Andrei Markov you never know what`s going to happen. All the wasted first rounders in the 90`s were because we drafted for need not skill.

If Gainey can somehow trade up to get Barker that`s just great if not take the best player.

And no way in hell our 1st (15-25 range) hossa/Perezhogin is going to land a possible franchise defenceman. Sorry Komi8
BPA is the best way to go, no question. This is where we find out if Timmins and Savard have really done their homework.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Gainey somehow get another second round pick to replace what he gave for Kovalev. The team is still rebuilding and needs every high pick it can get. Call me overly cautious...

Last edited by Duster: 03-08-2004 at 01:34 AM.
Old
03-08-2004, 02:20 AM
EaGLE1

In todays hockey, draft pick are less important than in the past. Do you think the Toronto Maple Leafs will rebuild their club with draft picks or UFA? Many teams don't have time to waste anymore. It's bad, hockey is copying baseball here. Draft picks are for poor teams. We don't really need the draft pick we gave for Kovalev...

Old
03-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Rahan

Quote:

The thing is that there are two Alex Picard in the Q right now.. one Defenseman and one forward

Old
03-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
The thing is that there are two Alex Picard in the Q right now.. one Defenseman and one forward
Yeah, but the defenseman is in the organisation of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:11 AM
NWT Habs Fan

I am not all that unhappy with our depth of defensive prospects. In Hamilton, in addition to Hainsey and Beauchy, we have first time pros Archer and Cote (a young free agent signing this year), and we have Shasby learning his trade in Columbus (and doing very well). In the NCAA we have the Life of Ryan with O'Bryne starting his college career and Glenn finishing his on a high note (see montreal's article). In Europe we have three players who played for their countries at the WJC in Linhart, Korpikari and Korneev. In the CHL we have Mark Flood really having a superb season in the OHL and contributing at both ends of the rink.

So, if the Habs' scouting brain trust hold true to form and draft a few more Dmen in this draft (based on who is BPA at the time), then that list will have even more depth. When you consider that Souray, Markov, Komo and Hainsey are all between 22 and 27, we have a good young core that shouldn't be going anywhere real soon.

Old
03-08-2004, 04:34 PM
All-Star

BPA!

Old
03-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
In todays hockey, draft pick are less important than in the past. Do you think the Toronto Maple Leafs will rebuild their club with draft picks or UFA? Many teams don't have time to waste anymore. It's bad, hockey is copying baseball here. Draft picks are for poor teams. We don't really need the draft pick we gave for Kovalev...
Look at some of the teams built through the draft (Ottawa, Colorado) and some of the teams built through free agents (Rangers) which teams would you prefer. If you want to build a team properly you need good drafts and a couple key trades. With a few UFA signings. It takes alot of time yes and most teams don`t want to waste that time but in the long run it seems to pay off alot better than throwing millions away on Free agents.

Old
03-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Anyway any pick from Savard in the 1st round is a good pick just look at Komisarek,
Perezhogin , Higgins , Kastsitsyn .

Old
03-08-2004, 07:35 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

I'd love Gainey and Timmins to pick Mike Green (wether it's in the 1st round or in the 2nd round, I don't know, I didn't really follow the Red Line predictions this year). I liked what I have seen from him at the OHL prospect all-star game. He was everywhere on the ice, and delivered solid hits. And no, because he is a physical defenseman doesn't mean he's all about defense. Actually, from what I can understand, he's got pretty good offensive instincts.

Maybe someone like Duff88 or montreal could confirm my thoughts on Green?

Old
03-09-2004, 07:27 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Guys, we need to pick a defenseman in the 1st round next draft. After Komi and Hainsey, there's no more prospects (maybe Beauchemin and Korneev but those are not superstars). Sami Lepistö would be a great pick I think.
Andrew Archer is underrated. He will play in the NHL someday. A decent defenseman. If we do take a d-man I would try for either Green of Valabik

Old
03-09-2004, 09:04 AM
skidboot

Quote:

yep.

Closed Thread