HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why didn't we get Barnaby?

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Schwang

vCash: 500
Why didn't we get Barnaby?

Colorado didn't give up S**T for him. I know he can be a headcase, but he does have talent. He had 12 goals, 120 pm and was a plus 15. He would have been a good pickup. Man, I hate it when teams that are alredy stacked get stronger.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Prrebel

The Aves are going nowhere in the playoffs. They have no goaltending... and with Salo... they still don't.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Season Ticket Holder

The Avs are going to have some serious trouble in the West if they can't pull their guys together. And ultimately, goaltending wins it. That's the one thing in the West - there's a lack of premiere goalies. I suppose Curtis Joseph is one, although he's injured and never won really in the playoffs.

But Aebischer? Cloutier? Turco? (Maybe Turco can help surprise)

Teams that win in the playoffs ride their goaltenders. Jersey doesn't have the best team, but they've got the best goalie. Count them in...

The Avs are insanely stacked on offense - but guys like Karyia and Selanne and others are either injury-prone this year or underperforming. And their defense isn't insanely wonderful.

The Avs are making moves but they haven't added a ton of value. Barnaby's solid, but Gratton is mediocre, Vaananen replaces Morris but not fully at this point in time...

For all we know the Habs did offer something for Barnaby, but I don't think that's Gainey's focus right now (3rd line/4th line muckers). I still say his focus is a D-man, although not sure he'll land one.

STH

Old
03-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Darz

Colorado did give up a 2nd rounder from this upcoming draft (and it's Florida's draft pick so it is fairly high) and the player they seleted in the 2nd round of last years draft for Barnaby so I would say they didn't give anything up.

If we gave up Cory Urquhart and a 2nd rounder for Barnaby would that be considered nothing?????

Old
03-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Guy Caballero

Barnaby is more trouble than he's worth. The Habs don't need guys of his ilk. Give me a guy like Grier over a Barnaby any day.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Guriken

why would you make a trade?? our team is playing really well, i don't think we need anyone else. maybe trade for some picks but we don't need another player imo.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Colorado did give up a 2nd rounder from this upcoming draft (and it's Florida's draft pick so it is fairly high) and the player they seleted in the 2nd round of last years draft for Barnaby so I would say they didn't give anything up.

If we gave up Cory Urquhart and a 2nd rounder for Barnaby would that be considered nothing?????
For that price, you could probably get a solid defenseman or a physical right winger to make some room for Ribs. There is already a surplus of third and fourth line players as it is and Barnaby is not a first or second line player. Good luck to him in Colorado.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Barnaby is more trouble than he's worth. The Habs don't need guys of his ilk. Give me a guy like Grier over a Barnaby any day.

Agreed! I invite you to read my post on the trade thread and tell me what you think. Normally, I dont like to make up trades but this day is all about what we wish and wont happen !

Old
03-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Marksman

I'm just glad Habs didnt pick him up. Barnaby makes it into my bottom three NHL players, with Marchment and Kasparaitis. We have Begin to play that particular role, except hes smart enough not to sink his own team too often, is younger, cheaper, french canadian and more versatile capable playing center and wing. If he ever manages to put healthy season, he could play similar part Matt Cooke has with Canucks.

---

Btw. Is it me or arent Avs quickly becoming the next New York Rangers - rag tag team of players collected around the league, chemistry lacking, tons of offensive stars and average goaltending...?

Old
03-09-2004, 11:15 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Btw. Is it me or arent Avs quickly becoming the next New York Rangers - rag tag team of players collected around the league, chemistry lacking, tons of offensive stars and average goaltending...?
The 1st pairing and the 1st line are what keeps Colorado head and shoulders above New York, but all it would take is a few panic moves by Lacroix to sink them to the Ranger's level...

Closed Thread