HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

beginner help

Old
02-04-2009, 04:18 AM
peanutvendor

vCash: 500
beginner help

i played ice hockey one summer when i was probably 12 and got hooked, but growing up in florida the rink was far, and i was a far superior swimmer and ended up pursuing that. now im 23, just graduated and am moving to one of a few northern cities soon and am really excited as i want to start playing hockey again for fun.

im pretty out of shape because i just spent 6 months researching and writing as well as being a smoker, but i was a distance swimmer so my cardio is still pretty decent and im starting to get active again, so that shouldnt be too bad.

what i am wondering is if there is anything anyone would suggest to help me be a little more prepared so i dont completely embarass myself? i went ice skating in december and it was a bit pathetic, and we have no ice here to practice on, so that is just going to have to wait, although i might go buy some roller blades for the short time im still in fla.

hockey is a very distant memory for me, so any tips/suggestions/"things you wouldnt know unless you were there" i could maybe do while im still in fla or when i get to where im going would help and be very appreciated.

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
EmptyNetter

The best warm weather prep might be soccer. Getting in on a game would be ideal but even if you set up an obstacle course with some cones you'll get a good workout. In soccer, as in hockey, you'll need quick bursts of energy and a fairly short recovery time -- it's anaerobic. You'll also be using your core muscles for balance and relying on your lower body to carry your weight and to change your direction. Swimming is an aerobic exercise -- you go at a regular pace for a long period of time and your weight is mostly supported by the water. All I'm saying here is that your cardio will help but not for those times your heart's beating above its target zone.

Tennis is another good activity. You won't do a lot of sprinting but the lateral movement and the hand-eye coordination can be carried over to hockey.

Roller blading is certainly useful. And since street hockey sticks are cheap I recommend shooting a tennis or golf ball against a wall or directing it around the legs of a chair or other set of obstacles.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
beardedgraf

i agree tennis is great, i lived in san marcos, texas and was a good distance from any ice for a year, i played tennis every other day and i found i actually gained some speed on the ice. the cardio and explosiveness is great. also, get a cheap stick and a tennis ball or street hockey puck and just shoot against a wall or into a box or a plastic hockey goal or practice saucer passes. you will get a good feel for shooting and handling, plus its fun

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 11:49 PM
peanutvendor

excellent. i love tennis too and am beginning to get back into it. my hand eye coordination has always been stellar....my dad pushed baseball real hard because of it.

thanks guys for the input. really appreciate it. not sucking (other than what my skating ability will be) is important to me. ill get on the tennis asap.

any workouts i should focus on? like, is lower body much more crucial than upper or a good mix?

thanks

Old
02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
peanutvendor

and once i get my cardio to a decent level ill start doing anarobic workouts- repetetive sprints on times, stuff like that.

im really excited, been wanting to play hockey for a long time now. my college had an ice hockey club but practiced over 4 hours away and that didnt sound fun. but moving to a northern city for work, this is more important to me than my job, have always loved the sport.

thanks!

Old
02-05-2009, 01:07 AM
howley

anything to help your balance will be beneficial. Screw around on one of them workout balls as much as you can. In "screw around" I mean train with it...but I imagine screwing around on it would also help your balance...not to mention your thrust...ANYWAY...workout ball, a two by four balance on a post is good for balance to...practice stick handling while balancing, shooting while balancing. Balance balance balance. Lots of sit ups will help as well.

howley is offline   Reply With Quote