Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Trade Deadline/Stars Rumor Thread

Old
02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Dallasman

vCash: 500
I could see us going after Vermette. I'd like him on this team.
I can't see Ottawa giving up Foligno.

Dallasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
If you get Halpern back... you're kind of neutralizing one his best assets by playing him with Modano. Modano is currently the team's best faceoff man and now he'd be stepping aside every draw? I think Halpern only makes sense if you can give him his own line.

The thought of the Sharks getting him though is nauseating.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
If you get Halpern back... you're kind of neutralizing one his best assets by playing him with Modano. Modano is currently the team's best faceoff man and now he'd be stepping aside every draw? I think Halpern only makes sense if you can give him his own line.

The thought of the Sharks getting him though is nauseating.
Great point. I forgot about that wild run that Modano is on in the faceoff circle. Isn't it over 60% the last 12 or so games.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Captain Awesome

I still think if Halpern came to the team that he is automatically the best faceoff man we have, IMO.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Well yeah, but he'd have to play wing or play 4th line minutes while making 2MM.

Old
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Well yeah, but he'd have to play wing or play 4th line minutes while making 2MM.
Yes, but he'd also be our go to center for all PK duty. Two million isn't a lot if it improves Dallas' PK as much as I think Halpern can.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Yes, but he'd also be our go to center for all PK duty. Two million isn't a lot if it improves Dallas' PK as much as I think Halpern can.
Right now, Tippett seems to go with either Richards-Eriksson or Modano-Lehtinen as the top PK group. I think he just rotates.

PK Forwards
Modano-Lehtinen
Richards-Eriksson
Petersen-Sutherby
Ribeiro-Ott

I guess a trade for Halpern would make them:

PK Forwards
Halpern-Ott
Modano-Lehtinen
Richards-Eriksson
Petersen-Sutherby

When deciding whether or not to bring him back though, I don't think his $2 million cap hit would have much of an impact. Dallas doesn't have issues next year, and Halpern would just be another player to add to the long list of free agents in 2010. If he was signed through 2011, that would be an issue.

Old
02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Bringing back Halpren recreates the logjam at center and it almost certainly steals time from a young player next year. When Morrow comes back who would be the odd man out? That's right Brunnstrom, because god knows Ott won't move to the forth line.

I like Jeff's game but that ship has sailed here in Dallas. There are other checking options for the future and for a team with Modano they just don't have the extra ice time or center space for him.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Captain Awesome

Possibly, and while it's a big if, if for some reason Modano retires he could take over 3rd line checking center duties. That's pretty much his role.

Old
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Possibly, and while it's a big if, if for some reason Modano retires he could take over 3rd line checking center duties. That's pretty much his role.
I don't know if I’d call Modano the checking line center because I don't think Dallas really has one.

Neal is good in his own zone, but he has standard rookie moments. Brunnstrom is still finding his way. Modano, well, he has his days that he seems like he could shut down anyone or he just feels like swinging his stick around.

I'd say Ribeio's line might actually be the "checking" line. Tippett said in a recent interview that he'd play that group against anyone. Plus, Richards line plays against the top lines occasionally. I think Tippett just rotates what group draws the other team’s top line, but it seems to rarely be Modano's. Neal and Brunnstrom kind of make that line a more significant offensive threat than a defensive one.

Old
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Captain Awesome

Yeah I guess you could be right, I still think he'd play a role on any stanley cup competing team. Though I can't imagine him taking a spot of a young guy. I just hope they don't rush anyone because the beginning of this year was clearly a disaster and vet presence won't hurt next year. Unless someone like Wandell or Benn is actually ready, it would give us some nice depth.

What's the scouting report on Wandell anyway? He seemed to be having a good year and even potted one here, is this kid going to be top 6 material?

Old
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Chad_

Modano has stated repeatedly he will both play out his contract and watns to play at least one year beyond that. The Stars would have to win the Cup for him to retire, and we all know the chances of that happening are very slim.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Modano has stated repeatedly he will both play out his contract and watns to play at least one year beyond that. The Stars would have to win the Cup for him to retire, and we all know the chances of that happening are very slim.
what he says and what he does is completely different. I fully expect him to play out his contract. However I don't believe he will play hockey after that. He will either one of three a) be content with his career and call it quits b) be unhappy with the role he has after next year (I am one of Mo's biggest fans but it is no secret that he can't sustain the type of play he once had) c) see his other friends retire around him and causes him to call it quits.

I wouldn't mind him playing after that but I just don't see it.

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
what he says and what he does is completely different. I fully expect him to play out his contract. However I don't believe he will play hockey after that. He will either one of three a) be content with his career and call it quits b) be unhappy with the role he has after next year (I am one of Mo's biggest fans but it is no secret that he can't sustain the type of play he once had) c) see his other friends retire around him and causes him to call it quits.

I wouldn't mind him playing after that but I just don't see it.
I agree with that. He'll at least play next season unless he gets injured or the team wins the Cup.

He is though in an ideal situation at present. He gets days off when he wants them, he's idolized by the entire organization, gets paid to play a game, is good friends with one of the two GMs, has another good buddy on his third go-around with the team and gets to make sure his wife stays in Dallas where he enjoys year-round golf on nice courses for, presumably, free. I'd take that and do it for as long as I could, regardless of my age.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
There is a rumor from a Tampa reporter that the Sharks and Lightning are talking about a trade that would include Jeff Halpern.
Everyone is commenting on Halpern's FO %, but why not pick up Gratton who is on waivers (and more likely be on re-entry waivers) for nothing. I know that Halpern is more defensively responsible than Gratton, however, at this point there is no sense picking up Halpern and creating a logjam at C while costing a pick/prospect.

IMO, I'd rather make a play at a defencemen if anything like Leopold. Complimentary but not a major impact guy.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
In reality, let’s hope they both just watch and only pick up the phone for a team that desperately wants to tank and is looking to dump everyone for anything.

I don’t think it’s too controversial to say this doesn’t look like a Stanley Cup team. Adding a piece here or there probably wouldn’t make it look that way either.

I’d rather bank on them having one or two players elevate their game to new levels in the playoffs (Lundqvist, Ott, Brunnstrom (defensive breakthrough that leads to more ice time), Niskanen). If that happens great, if not then at least they didn’t make a move that cost way too many assets. Does anyone seriously believe Schneider warranted a 2nd and a 3rd? That’s just ugly.

Less talented teams have made the Stanly Cup finals in recent years (Edmonton). Dallas could definitely do it, but they don’t look like a team that a big splash at the deadline would make it happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
That was pretty much a panic move by the Habs.
FYI, I moved this discussion because it doesn’t really pertain to the prospect thread.

I agree, but it will still have an effect on the deadline and player values.

For instance, Van Ryn is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas pick up. IMO, he's a more valuable player than Schneider, but I'd hate if Dallas gave up 2 picks for him.

I think Dallas should shop Perttu Lindgren and a low pick (5th or lower for players) or Sergei Korostin if they get someone that isn't a free agent. I included Korostin because he is more valuable than Lindgren, but losing him in a trade doesn't put much of a dent in Dallas left-shot scoring forwards depth at all.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
Everyone is commenting on Halpern's FO %, but why not pick up Gratton who is on waivers (and more likely be on re-entry waivers) for nothing. I know that Halpern is more defensively responsible than Gratton, however, at this point there is no sense picking up Halpern and creating a logjam at C while costing a pick/prospect.

IMO, I'd rather make a play at a defencemen if anything like Leopold. Complimentary but not a major impact guy.
Razor says all the time that Dallas needs a right-shot center for faceoffs. I don't know if that is true, but his logic makes sense so I agree.

It's a piece that isn't necessarily required, but Dallas would be a better team if they had that option. Does it need to be Halpern? No. Can they make the playoffs without that luxury? Without a doubt.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Dallasman

I think the only way the Stars make a move is if the teams around them fighting for a playoff spot make moves as well. Otherwise, I think they stand pat and maybe, MAYBE, try and add a depth d-man, if anything.

Dallasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:53 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

I think it's important to remember that there's usually a trade that occurs some time out from the deadline, and it doesn't really set the market. It's usually an isolated incident and the product of two teams' negotiations. The market is set on deadline day and immediately prior.

Old
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I will be surprised if the Stars make any move. If they do make a trade it's for someone that is cheap and they give up barely anything.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:43 PM
catters078

It will be quite amusing to see the trade proposal forum now

It will be littered with Dallas proposals for the new few days

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
It will be littered with Dallas proposals for the new few days
None of which will happen.

Still don't think we're going to make a single move.

Dallas needs something long term. Not short.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Okposofan21

Mike Comrie for a 4th round pick?

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:39 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okposofan21 View Post
I would do that in a heart beat..

Is comrie a right handed shot?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
TangoMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okposofan21 View Post
how about you keep Comrie and the 4th and just send us Hillary Duff.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote