theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
catters078

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
None of which will happen.

Still don't think we're going to make a single move.

Dallas needs something long term. Not short.
the only long term decision i would make is an offer on July 1 to Bouwmeester

7 years 6.5 mill...

would prefer 5.5 or 6, but if Dallas wants him they are going to have to match some big offers...do any of you cap experts now how high our roof can be with him?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
map94

In my opinion, from a cap prospective, we can be as competitive for Bouwmeester as we want. I don't think he gets less than $7M per season unless he takes a discount to play somewhere special like Hossa did last season. However, if we sign him, it means... Zubov is likely gone, unless he plays for almost nothing, which he might or might not do. And, we will have a harder time in a couple seasons signing all our young players that will be RFA.

In my mind, Bouwmeester is a guy you build your team around. You do whatever it takes to make him fit and he's your number one defense for the next decade. But, I don't trade for him unless he signs an extension, which is doubtful.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Okposofan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMcBride View Post
how about you keep Comrie and the 4th and just send us Hillary Duff.

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
drewcon40

Rangers fan, coming in peace. (10-2 still stinging). With Richards out, would Dallas be interested in Chris Drury (would have to waive his no trade clause) or Scott Gomez? It's no secret in Ranger land that these contracts along with Wade Redden's has severly crippled the Rangers. If the Rangers would become sellers, would Gomez or Drury be players Dallas would be interested in?

Scott Gomez is a 7.4 million cap hit through 2013-14
Chris Drury is a 7 million cap hit through 2011-12 (Drury, of course, is captain and would have to waive his non-movement clause.)

The Rangers would probably not be sellers, I was curious of what the Stars' fans thought of a replacement for Richards.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I seriously doubt we need a replacement for Richards for just a month.

This season is clearly not the season we're going on a Cup run (if my some miracle we do, then zomg). We need to be working toward next season and there after.

Just my opinion.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
If the Stars took on Drury or Gomez, they'd have over 31 million 23.8 million dollars allocated to centers next year. That's not a winning strategy.

Last edited by piqued: 02-18-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: still not winning
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
map94

$31M? Might want to check your math. Modano + Ribeiro + Richards = 16.25M. They'd have to take both Drury and Gomez for you math to be right.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Captain Awesome

Yeah, there's no way we take either. Having Richards on that contract stings badly enough as it is, especially with the Avery contract. I still can't understand why NYR has such a hard on for signing gigantic contracts. They've been doing it for over a decade. Sather, I guess.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Yeah, there's no way we take either. Having Richards on that contract stings badly enough as it is, especially with the Avery contract. I still can't understand why NYR has such a hard on for signing gigantic contracts. They've been doing it for over a decade. Sather, I guess.
Thanks for the feeback. Silent Bob, it has been frustrating Ranger fans for a long time. The Rangers basically have crippled themselves for future moves. Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Avery (who really was a value and fan favorite for the Rangers...I know you guys aren't as "amused") all left and the leadership was given to Drury and Gomez. They are signed to be superstars yet in all honesty, they are basically on pace for their typical year. Wade Redden, I can't for the life of me understand who the Rangers were bidding against. This is a Dallas board, so I'll stop here.

Your cap situation looks to be OK. Are you guys happy with Richards considering the cap?

Old
02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Thanks for the feeback. Silent Bob, it has been frustrating Ranger fans for a long time. The Rangers basically have crippled themselves for future moves. Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Avery (who really was a value and fan favorite for the Rangers...I know you guys aren't as "amused") all left and the leadership was given to Drury and Gomez. They are signed to be superstars yet in all honesty, they are basically on pace for their typical year. Wade Redden, I can't for the life of me understand who the Rangers were bidding against. This is a Dallas board, so I'll stop here.

Your cap situation looks to be OK. Are you guys happy with Richards considering the cap?
I know Dallas was trying to sign Redden, and I've heard Calgary wanted him. Hopefully, from a Stars standpoint, that ship has sailed.

I love Richards, some Dallas fans hold his contract against him, but I blame that on Tampa and not Richards. IMO, he'll sign a more cap friendly deal with the Stars in a few years. If not, so be it. I just hope Eriksson and one of Dallas' other up-and-coming wingers provide enough of a draw for him. I think he could end up with Jamie Benn as his LW, and that would be scary.

Jamie Benn-Brad Richards-Loui Eriksson

- I really look forward to the near future.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I love Richards, some Dallas fans hold his contract against him, but I blame that on Tampa and not Richards.
right on, If I was offered that kind of money no way I am turning that down especially the situation when he signed it

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
right on, If I was offered that kind of money no way I am turning that down especially the situation when he signed it
Situation or not, I'd cut the tip of my finger off to sign if I couldn't find a pen.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Situation or not, I'd cut the tip of my finger off to sign if I couldn't find a pen.
pinky hopefully

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
What else would you do for $7.8 million a year?

Could I get the tip of you finger for, let's say $150,000?

Old
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
What else would you do for $7.8 million a year?

Could I get the tip of you finger for, let's say $150,000?
... How much is the "tip"? Up to the first knuckle?

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Chad_

For $7.8 million over six years, I'd let you pick which finger.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:

Pretty much, it is OK. In 2010 there are a looot of players to sign and so any big contracts now could really screw us in the long term on retaining key players. I didn't wanna come off harsh or anything, just amazed at how much leeway Sather has gotten for signing some of those ridiculous contracts. I hope you guys draft really, really well because it's going to be hard for NYR to do well since they really can't do much on the free agent market.

Dallas has plenty of center depth though, and I could't imagine trying to acquire another one.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't James Neal a natural center?

Old
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Pretty much, it is OK. In 2010 there are a looot of players to sign and so any big contracts now could really screw us in the long term on retaining key players. I didn't wanna come off harsh or anything, just amazed at how much leeway Sather has gotten for signing some of those ridiculous contracts. I hope you guys draft really, really well because it's going to be hard for NYR to do well since they really can't do much on the free agent market.

Dallas has plenty of center depth though, and I could't imagine trying to acquire another one.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't James Neal a natural center?
He played center in juniors I believe. I actually wondered if he might get a look, but I dont' think Tippett will move guys that have focused on one position so far this year (IE: Eriksson - RW, Neal - LW)

Old
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
... I don't think so. He was a left wing at Plymouth. Maybe before that?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Captain Awesome

Well according to this he was an LW in juniors.http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/players/jamesneal.html

Must be NHL 09 screwing me up.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
I didn't wanna come off harsh or anything, just amazed at how much leeway Sather has gotten for signing some of those ridiculous contracts. I hope you guys draft really, really well because it's going to be hard for NYR to do well since they really can't do much on the free agent market.
Silent Bob, not harsh at all...the fans wonder the same.

Thanks to all for all your answers. I really enjoy reading the Stars board. It gets rough over at the Rangers board. Good luck to you. My avatar is Pat Verbeek who left us to sign with you guys!!! I guess I like players who wore #16 with the Rangers and go to Dallas. (Ulf Dahlen, Pat Verbeek, Sean Avery)

Old
02-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Silent Bob, not harsh at all...the fans wonder the same.

Thanks to all for all your answers. I really enjoy reading the Stars board. It gets rough over at the Rangers board. Good luck to you. My avatar is Pat Verbeek who left us to sign with you guys!!! I guess I like players who wore #16 with the Rangers and go to Dallas. (Ulf Dahlen, Pat Verbeek, Sean Avery)
The little ball of hat is a Dallas Stars icon...i miss him!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
The Stars have plenty of space within the salary cap to add a significant player or two before the trade deadline, but the team hopes to find answers from within, according to the Dallas Morning News.
"We believe we have the answers within the system, and that's what we're going with right now," Stars co-GM Les Jackson told the paper. "We have several options at center; we have some forward depth in the minors. We believe the team is strong enough to handle this."
With Brad Richards, Brendan Morrow and Sergei Zubov on long-term injury, the Stars have upwards of $6 million in cap space to play with.
However, Jackson indicated the team has an internal budget and isn't looking to pull the trigger on a major trade.
"Our situation will be reassessed in a couple of weeks," Jackson said. The Stars have been shopping for a top-four defenseman and a top-six forward.
You think this is Wandell or could it be Benn? Ironically Benn did not play last night...hmmm. In transition to join Dallas?

Last edited by Sony Eriksson*: 02-19-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Don't hold your breath for it.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote