Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Trade Deadline/Stars Rumor Thread

Old
02-19-2009, 09:00 AM
theheadmata

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Especially considering that Kelowna has already clinched a playoff spot. I imagine management will want him to play in the WHL playoffs.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

They won't burn a year off his rookie contract and there's no real point to bring him up for just nine games. Benn is out. As is Wandell, because they want him to finish up in Sweden. That leaves Conner (ugh) and Sawada (meh). Joy of joys, it will be so fun to watch this half very good lineup, half horrible lineup tonight.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:37 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
They won't burn a year off his rookie contract and there's no real point to bring him up for just nine games. Benn is out. As is Wandell, because they want him to finish up in Sweden. That leaves Conner (ugh) and Sawada (meh). Joy of joys, it will be so fun to watch this half very good lineup, half horrible lineup tonight.
Come on. We haven't even seen this guy yet. He could be the right shot version of Neal.

Oh wait .... sorry.

Quote:
They won't burn a year off his rookie contract and there's no real point to bring him up for just nine games. Benn is out. As is Wandell, because they want him to finish up in Sweden.
I didn't realize you were actually Brett Hull. I always knew he had an ego .....

Quote:
That leaves Conner (ugh)
I always thought short and quick was a good combination.

Quote:
and Sawada (meh). Joy of joys, it will be so fun to watch this half very good lineup, half horrible lineup tonight.
I've got nothing ....I kind of agree sans the lukewarm reception for Sawada.

I'm having a bad week a work.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

It's not that I think Sawada is god awful but you want to know why I'm bummed out about him.

52nd selection of the 2004 Draft

Dallas - Raymond Sawada

53rd selection of the 2004 Draft

Florida - David Booth

That's what bothers me about Sawada.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
It's not that I think Sawada is god awful but you want to know why I'm bummed out about him.

Dallas - Raymond Sawada

Florida - David Booth

every team has to make tough decisions when drafting. We picked Sawada lets support him, it's in the past. He hasn't even played a game yet let his play decide whether you like him or not, not the fact that Booth was drafted a pick after him

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
every team has to make tough decisions when drafting. We picked Sawada lets support him, it's in the past. He hasn't even played a game yet let his play decide whether you like him or not, not the fact that Booth was drafted a pick after him
Good point.

There's still a chance ..... small chance ..... he could have a better/similar career to Booth.

Let's just hope he can become at least a hell of a 3rd line defensive forward that can get 15 goals, maybe 20.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:

Dallas - Raymond Sawada

Florida - David Booth

Meh, if you're going that route then you might not ever like a player on this team.

Dallas - Mark Fistric
28th pick of the 2004 Draft

Washington - Mike Green
29th pick of the 2004 Draft

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Meh, if you're going that route then you might not ever like a player on this team.

Dallas - Mark Fistric
28th pick of the 2004 Draft

Washington - Mike Green
29th pick of the 2004 Draft
That was a HUGE miss.. oh well.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
You misunderstand me. I don't blame him. I don't dislike him because he's not Booth. All I'm saying is so far he's been underwhelming from a development standpoint. Dallas has continued to call up Conner rather than him. His scoring at the AHL level hasn't really wowed anyone. He's a guy like Crombeen was a guy. That's not to say he doesn't have a place. I picture him on a checking line in Dallas with Ott in two years. That's a good thing. Dallas needs players like that, but I'm not excited. I'll watch him tonight and for the foreseeable future and hope he defies my admittedly small expectations but I'm not jacked up about him like I would be with Vishnevskiy or sometime next year Jaime Benn. Is that better explanation of my feelings?

Old
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
BigG44

Quote:
You misunderstand me. I don't blame him. I don't dislike him because he's not Booth. All I'm saying is so far he's been underwhelming from a development standpoint. Dallas has continued to call up Conner rather than him. His scoring at the AHL level hasn't really wowed anyone. He's a guy like Crombeen was a guy. That's not to say he doesn't have a place. I picture him on a checking line in Dallas with Ott in two years. That's a good thing. Dallas needs players like that, but I'm not excited. I'll watch him tonight and for the foreseeable future and hope he defies my admittedly small expectations but I'm not jacked up about him like I would be with Vishnevskiy or sometime next year Jaime Benn. Is that better explanation of my feelings?
Granted they're 2-3 years apart, his first professional year is very similar to Neal's, even in reference to the offense.

I respect the fact that he wanted to go to a top school and get his degree. That probably slowed his development, and he could be playing on his first post-ELC contract by now. Without even seeing him play, that makes him one of my favorite players in the organization. You don't see many people in sports that value education and aren't consumed with money.

I hope and believe this guy will be worth the drawn out development phase.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Oh the Fistric vs Green one makes me ill. Though I like Fistric's game. We traded down there too.

Maybe for me I can get excited about Wandell because he came out of no where and has exceeded expectations. A 5th rounder in 05, no one pinned their hopes on his selection. After the first 75 or so it's all a crapshoot anyway but it's good to hit on the Wandell's and disappointing to miss the Booth's of the world.

Old
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh the Fistric vs Green one makes me ill. Though I like Fistric's game. We traded down there too.

Maybe for me I can get excited about Wandell because he came out of no where and has exceeded expectations. A 5th rounder in 05, no one pinned their hopes on his selection. After the first 75 or so it's all a crapshoot anyway but it's good to hit on the Wandell's and disappointing to miss the Booth's of the world.
I wouldn't get too caught up over missed draft chances; hindsight's always 20/20. Besides, Dallas made 7 draft choices before Zetterberg was snapped up with pick 210 back in 1999.

What a horrible draft year that was, I guess our scouts must've still been hungover.

1999 Entry 32 2 Michael Ryan
1999 Entry 66 2 Dan Jancevski
1999 Entry 96 3 Mathias Tjarnqvist
1999 Entry 126 4 Jeff Bateman
1999 Entry 156 5 Gregor Baumgartner
1999 Entry 184 6 Justin Cox
1999 Entry 186 6 Brett Draney
1999 Entry 215 7 Jeff MacMillan
1999 Entry 243 8 Brian Sullivan
1999 Entry 265 9 Jamie Chamberlain
1999 Entry 272 9 Mikhail Donika

Yikes.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Tap the brakes just a bit here. Sawada might never turn out as good as Booth, but they are also two different types of players. At the time of the draft, Sawada was the more safe pick for how the Stars played and how the game was played at the time. Both have decent size, but Sawada is more of a defensive forward and always has been seen as such. Cornell runs a defensive trap system, which would suit him better for the Stars but also downplay his offensive ability. Most of his goals will happen around the net anyways.

Sawada also did score in his ten games with Iowa last year. He was, mostly, on a line with Neal and Lindgren, so that would certainly help things out. No, he hasn't scored much this year, but it's also important to note he hasn't been playing on the top two lines in Manitoba for most of the season either. Manitoba is also Vancouver's primary affiliate, not Dallas', and that makes a difference in playing time, roles, etc.

None of this means Sawada won't turn into a quality player for the Stars. He might, or he might not. A lot of that will depend upon coaching once he reaches the NHL level, how he's used and how he fits in with the group. The latter should not be of concern, but the former two are with me.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I wouldn't get too caught up over missed draft chances; hindsight's always 20/20. Besides, Dallas made 7 draft choices before Zetterberg was snapped up with pick 210 back in 1999.

What a horrible draft year that was, I guess our scouts must've still been hungover.

1999 Entry 32 2 Michael Ryan
1999 Entry 66 2 Dan Jancevski
1999 Entry 96 3 Mathias Tjarnqvist
1999 Entry 126 4 Jeff Bateman
1999 Entry 156 5 Gregor Baumgartner
1999 Entry 184 6 Justin Cox
1999 Entry 186 6 Brett Draney
1999 Entry 215 7 Jeff MacMillan
1999 Entry 243 8 Brian Sullivan
1999 Entry 265 9 Jamie Chamberlain
1999 Entry 272 9 Mikhail Donika

Yikes.
not a single legit NHLer on that list. Tjarnqvist was the closest

Old
02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Captain Awesome

At least Tjarnqvist still plays in the nhl right? That list gives me nightmares. And the 2004 draft... I've had a hard time watching Dallas draft after watching that one. I like Fistric, but we're talking Point-per-game could replace Zubov offensively Mike Green. Ouch. I'm glad the Dallas Stars aren't about overly safe picks anymore, because I bet Mike Green gets picked over Fistric, or they pick Wolski instead.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I think Ryan is a scrub for the Sabres, at least last time I heard

Old
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Tjarnqvist went back to Sweden; he plays for Rögle.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
jdmcrae

Quote:
I think Ryan is a scrub for the Sabres, at least last time I heard
Ryan is currently with the Canes.... he's been awesome when in the AHL with Albany and made the All Star team but has played about 4 minutes a night in his NHL games where I think he has no points in 10 or 12 games

jdmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcrae View Post
Ryan is currently with the Canes.... he's been awesome when in the AHL with Albany and made the All Star team but has played about 4 minutes a night in his NHL games where I think he has no points in 10 or 12 games
Good thing he's with the Canes right now. Albany's bus rolled early this morning. I saw there were a few serious injuries.

Old
02-20-2009, 06:19 AM
onebadice

Crombeen's going to be a decent third line banger that pots a few goals now and then. Who knows, he may even turn into a 2nd line power forward kind of guy. He has 10 goals and 18 points this year so far. He is progressing nicely. That's one Dallas would like to have back.

onebadice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadice View Post
Crombeen's going to be a decent third line banger that pots a few goals now and then. Who knows, he may even turn into a 2nd line power forward kind of guy. He has 10 goals and 18 points this year so far. He is progressing nicely. That's one Dallas would like to have back.
Didn't he have a majority of those 10 goals in like the 1st week with the team?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

He scored a hat trick with the Blues at some point this season. I remember hearing about it and thinking...woo Hullie.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Crombeen has goals in double digits.
What's even freakier is Winchester... 10 goals, WTH!!!!!!!

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
This made me lol.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
Still the single worst player in the NHL.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote