HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Those Lines

Old
02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
couris

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh played the trap with the 2 goal deficit.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Pittsburgh brought out the best in Montreal, but lots of teams don't. Hard to really judge the lines, although Kovy looked comfortable with Pleks and AK and Koivu has simply proven that he can play with anyone and certainly brings out the best in Higgins.

One thing that really stuck out to me is how well Pax and Lapierre fit together. Pax pretty much has Lats' size, at least he was easily playing a comparable physical role, but his speed is a huge asset as he can keep up with Lapierre where Latendresse simply can't. Latendresse has better hands but Lapierre can't make a decent pass anyway, so again I found Pax the better fit. I could see those two playing together for years. With the right RW, they could be a line that can play against anyone.
So do you think Patches - Lapy - Lats is good?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Sheesh it was one freaking game against Pittsburgh...a team that can almost be compared to Ottawa right now.

One game and everyone goes crazy ...
wow

The real test will be the upcoming trip.
Until then calm down .
....just talking about how the composition of those lines fit...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
la25ecoupe

We also played the trap.

So, when do you play the trap? when you lead, or when you trail?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Pittsburgh brought out the best in Montreal, but lots of teams don't. Hard to really judge the lines, although Kovy looked comfortable with Pleks and AK and Koivu has simply proven that he can play with anyone and certainly brings out the best in Higgins.

One thing that really stuck out to me is how well Pax and Lapierre fit together. Pax pretty much has Lats' size, at least he was easily playing a comparable physical role, but his speed is a huge asset as he can keep up with Lapierre where Latendresse simply can't. Latendresse has better hands but Lapierre can't make a decent pass anyway, so again I found Pax the better fit. I could see those two playing together for years. With the right RW, they could be a line that can play against anyone.
Are you serious?

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Andy

Why the lines yesterday worked....

because the slowest guy in the top 9 is Saku Koivu, and he isn't even that slow.

Our team just looked blazing fast, almost like last year. Lang was great and I love what he brought, but when players used to play with Lang, they used to play at his pace, thus we'd have a line not skating as fast as they could. Maybe I'm wrong but I really believe losing our two slowest players was a blessing in disguise in a way.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I liked the lines, but what I hope to see next year (if we don't sign anyone) is:

Kost-Pleks-Kost (lots of speed, lots of skill)
Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse (work it in the O-zone)
Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini (speed, some skill, effort and 2-way play)
Stewart-Chipchura-Laraque (grinders, energy)

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gorges-Subban(like Pacioretty he will end his first pro year on the big squad)

Price
Halak

I really want to see the kosty bros with pleks. Koivu I see being resigned, and works best with skilled effort guys. And with Kovalev having a mediocre year, being loved here, and considering his age I think he would want to stay, not sure where I'd play him though. This would be if Tanguay and Kovalev are allowed to walk.
talk about a lot of FREE cap room

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Last game Kostitsyn and Plekanec skated and Kovy had to keep up with them. Too often this year it was the opposite, with Kovy slowing down that particular line. Plekanec and Andrei need to carry the puck with Kovy trailing behind, not the opposite. Kovalev simply can't make a decent zone entry without turning the puck over because thats what the other team expects everytime (once he's in he can control the play tho).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I liked the lines, but what I hope to see next year (if we don't sign anyone) is:

Kost-Pleks-Kost (lots of speed, lots of skill)
Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse (work it in the O-zone)
Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini (speed, some skill, effort and 2-way play)
Stewart-Chipchura-Laraque (grinders, energy)

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gorges-Subban(like Pacioretty he will end his first pro year on the big squad)

Price
Halak

I really want to see the kosty bros with pleks. Koivu I see being resigned, and works best with skilled effort guys. And with Kovalev having a mediocre year, being loved here, and considering his age I think he would want to stay, not sure where I'd play him though. This would be if Tanguay and Kovalev are allowed to walk.
If Tanguay and Kovalev and Dandenault and Brisebois and Bouillon and Kostopoulos are ALL allowed to walk, and no one other than Komisarek is signed as UFA, then we will be FAR below the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea they looked like the Habs from last season against the Pens. Except last year we played about 50 games like this at least. With Lang being injured it goes back to last year we had less talented guys yet it clicked better so I guess there must be a thing about having too much talented softies. Or having three offensive lines not working as an experiment.
You may have a wrong definition of an "offensive line" in your head, because last night 3 lines did the scoring, and the third line had two goals!

Maybe what you REALLY mean to say is that we can't have three SOFT offensive lines, and I agree with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Biggest difference was having the 3rd (and sometimes 4th) man forechecking. Habs played a boring 1-4 against Boston and didn't work. I'm sure Kovalev mentioned to Carbo that the team played way too defensive this season and the switch showed.
If the team doesn't skate, it is FORCED to play more defensive!

Believe me, Carbo is NOT asking the players to play rope-a-dope.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
If Tanguay and Kovalev and Dandenault and Brisebois and Bouillon and Kostopoulos are ALL allowed to walk, and no one other than Komisarek is signed as UFA, then we will be FAR below the cap.
Theres no way we don't re-sign Kostopoulos (we need extra forwards, so he'll be in rotation with other 4th liners). I can see us not resigning Bouillon (unless he agrees to be a 7th for a modest salary). One of Tanguay and Kovalev is probably going to be re-signed, I guess it depends on the playoffs (especially for Tanguay, we'll get to know what he's really worth).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote