HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What specificially is Renney's Beef with Prucha?

Old
02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
What specificially is Renney's Beef with Prucha?

I just don't get it.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Trueblue30

I dont know he has a good nose for the net and he plays hard, hopefully he will be playing friday.

Trueblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
The Thomas J.*

It's very vauge, I don't know if it's his size or skill. It certainly is not his attitude.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
OverTheCap

It is one of life's unsolved mysteries. Renney has alluded to Prucha's lack of size, but Dawes is small and isn't kept on a short leash like Prucha. I thought maybe it was due to his limited defensive ability, but I think Prucha is more defensively aware than Dawes, Voros, and Orr.

I don't think Prucha is as good as his 30-goal rookie year indicates, but he does not deserve to be benched as much as he is. He brings energy & plays bigger than his size. It boggles my mind that Dawes isn't held to the same standard as Prucha. Renney benched Dawes tonight but I think it is due to the addition of Anisimov as opposed to Dawes' defensive gaffe in Boston, I wonder if Renney would play Prucha tonight over Dawes if AA didn't play.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The mystery was actually solved earlier tonight.

From Carpiniello over at The Journal News blog:

Quote:
Renney feels that Prucha — who, as we know is not afraid to play a physical game for a smallish player — wears down. And wears down significantly, to the point where it affects his skating.

“With a guy like Pruch, it’s a matter of him getting in and being able to sustain it,” Renney said. “He’s not a big guy. For our needs, at least, a guy like Petr is good for a while and then it seems to dry up on him. Then I can get him back in again. The bottom line is it’s his size. It’s getting banged around, and then because of that, not being able to sustain what he can deliver over the period of more than four or five games. And that’s the dilemma that I have.

“And it’s too bad,” Renney said, “because he’s a helluva guy.”
Boy, I wish Voros would wear down.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Balej20*

Wearing down huh?

Maybe that explains why Gomez, Drury, Redden, and the rest of 'em have been "dried up" for the majority of this season. They're just wearing down.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:40 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The mystery was actually solved earlier tonight.

From Carpiniello over at The Journal News blog:

Boy, I wish Voros would wear down.

Callahan is small and plays a physical game as well, but he gets to play every game. Is Renney questioning Prucha's conditioning? Prucha was capable of playing 79 games in 2006-07 but now he just "wears down"? I'll agree that Prucha needs to be benched now and then, but this seems like a BS excuse.

And it was pretty obvious that Shanahan was "wearing down" towards the end of last season, but Renney kept on playing him 20 minutes a night.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 12:54 AM
The Thomas J.*

I dunno if I buy this, Voros has looked terrible since game 12, & that is being generous, rucha should have been guled to Drurys wing.

Old
02-04-2009, 01:43 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Callahan is small and plays a physical game as well, but he gets to play every game. Is Renney questioning Prucha's conditioning? Prucha was capable of playing 79 games in 2006-07 but now he just "wears down"? I'll agree that Prucha needs to be benched now and then, but this seems like a BS excuse.

And it was pretty obvious that Shanahan was "wearing down" towards the end of last season, but Renney kept on playing him 20 minutes a night.
Amen. I still couldn't believe Renney played Shanahan on the PK, Even strenght, AND the PP.. The guy isnt 25 anymore Renney. I'm glad Jersey is utilizing him well, they at least have a real coach.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:31 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Is Renney questioning Prucha's conditioning?
Didn't Prucha have some of the best results on the team physicals at the start of the year? Maybe that was last season.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Mrpuck

For a team struggling to score, it's still mind boggling that Pru continues to sit out consistently.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Barnaby

Quote:

I like Prucha... but bad example. Callahan is a different type of player. To me Prucha is an in between guy... do you realistically see him as a top-6 forward? I don't. Do you see him as a 3rd or 4th liner? Not really. He's in a tough spot. To me, as much as I love the effort, he doesn't fit this team at all. Give him minutes on a weaker team like the Isles and he'd be a nice little 15-18 goal 45-point guy. On the Rangers he's a square peg in a round whole.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Wearing down huh?

Maybe that explains why Gomez, Drury, Redden, and the rest of 'em have been "dried up" for the majority of this season. They're just wearing down.
You can't teach size.......

I remember when James Patrick (by no means a small guy) and Tony Granato (small guy) used to play for the Rangers and JD spoke about how they had to go into the season with extra padding because they would completely dry up during the season.
If I remember well it was to the tune of 10-15 lbs which neither could afford to lose.

Something like this gotta have an effect on a guy Prucha's size and energy.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I think that's a BS excuse.

He's a professional hockey player. What would happen if teams starting giving all their smaller guys rests because of getting "banged around?"

Of course he's gonna ****ing dry up, the majority of players not named Alex Ovechkin do during the course of a season.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Didn't Prucha have some of the best results on the team physicals at the start of the year? Maybe that was last season.
Jumping rope and running on a treadmill is a bit different than getting crushed into the boards by a 6'4'' defenseman.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
BroadwayLocal

I think Pru and Fritsche (one down, one to go) have a similar downside. They both are just a little bit mentally slow. When the intensity slows they seem to be a step behind. Dawes, Voros are a little better, but not much.

On top of that, Pru is small, which is a liability that is increased when you skate really fast directly at the opposing d-men's shoulders and elbows.

Does Pru remind anyone else of South Park Kenny? Every game he plays, he gets annihilated.

BroadwayLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Vitto79

they are going to move Prucha for sure within the month. have to clear that salary and Renney doesnt give him a fair chance

I think Dawes goes too at this point for a top 6. With a descent pick as well of course

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Nich

we should just get prucha lifts for his skates....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I dunno if I buy this, Voros has looked terrible since game 12, & that is being generous, rucha should have been guled to Drurys wing.
I was actually pretty satisfied with Renney's explanation. Listen, we all know that at one point Prucha was clearly in Renney's favor - who remembers the "more guts that a slaughterhouse" comment? It's not like the kid has made a series of egregious errors to get into the doghouse since then. Unless anyone here knows Prucha personally, or at least better than Renney does, I'm going to take coach's word on the kid's physical state.

Also, the comparisons to our other smallish players (Dawes and Callahan) are very inappropriate. Dawes has a low center of gravity and great balance. He very rarely gets taken off his feet, even by big guys. Callahan is FAR stronger than Prucha, and if he is on his ass, it is most likely because he initiated contact and took someone down with him. Prucha gets laid out at least once or twice a game, and for those of you that have never played hockey, I assure you that takes a toll.

I love Prucha, and I actually remember turning to my buddy several times during the game last night to complain about Voros being in the lineup over him. But perhaps we can give Renney the benefit of the doubt on this. What motivation does he have to lie?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
they are going to move Prucha for sure within the month. have to clear that salary and Renney doesnt give him a fair chance

I think Dawes goes too at this point for a top 6. With a descent pick as well of course

I can see Renney not playing him in to make sure he does not get hurt In anticipation of a trade.

Old
02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayLocal View Post
I think Pru and Fritsche (one down, one to go) have a similar downside. They both are just a little bit mentally slow. When the intensity slows they seem to be a step behind. Dawes, Voros are a little better, but not much.

On top of that, Pru is small, which is a liability that is increased when you skate really fast directly at the opposing d-men's shoulders and elbows.

Does Pru remind anyone else of South Park Kenny? Every game he plays, he gets annihilated.
Voros is NOT in any way better than Petr Prucha. He's a border line NHLer who got cut by the Devils after spending 4 years in their minor league team and spent two more years in the AHL before finally playing in his rookie season last year and who has never scored more than 16 goals playing professional hockey (AHL/NHL) and never more than 8 at the NHL level.

Dawes is up for debate since he still hasn't scored more than 14 goals in a season.

BTW, to me, Renney's problem with Prucha is that he plays a high risk kind of game. He goes deep into the zone instead of staying high and forechecks and all of that good stuff. He's too aggressive for Renney's style.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:00 AM
rangers13

i was bored so i was going through real old threads on this board and its somthing after they lost to the devils in the playoffs and renny says this:

"He (Prucha) has more guts than a slaughter house"- Renney

i dont under stand 3-4 years ago the guy was a god

rangers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Voros is NOT in any way better than Petr Prucha. He's a border line NHLer who got cut by the Devils after spending 4 years in their minor league team and spent two more years in the AHL before finally playing in his rookie season last year and who has never scored more than 16 goals playing professional hockey (AHL/NHL) and never more than 8 at the NHL level.

Dawes is up for debate since he still hasn't scored more than 14 goals in a season.

BTW, to me, Renney's problem with Prucha is that he plays a high risk kind of game. He goes deep into the zone instead of staying high and forechecks and all of that good stuff. He's too aggressive for Renney's style.
You hit it right on the head. Prucha jumps in as the second and more importantly the third man and its too much for Renney. When the Rangers actually turned it up and were scoring a little more last month, Prucha jumpstarted this style of play and i noted it. I also noted that Priucha wouldnt last too long because of it.

Its funny because Prucha gave up nothing defensively even though he took those risks, if anything, it promoted more movement with his line. I went to the game last night and on more than 5 occasions i saw a fully changed up Rangers team fall back behind the blue line in a EXTREMELY laid back and strict 1-2-2. The first forechecker was between the circles and didnt even challenge Atlanta, and as a result they came into the Rangers zone on all but one occasion because the Rangers were flat footed.

Now, tell me how that is a productive system? How are you a better team because of that? theres is none, this team is absolutely devoid of any killer instinct. If you breed that - than thats the result youll get. Prucha flies in the face of that, and thats precisely why he sits.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
squishy

What a load of rubbish.

Prucha was the same size (possibly even lighter) his rookie year and played 68 games. The following year he played 79 and still scored 22 goals.

But I suspect, like Renney's comments about Jarkko Immonen's "foot speed", this will now become gospel.

I'd say "just trade him now and get it over with", but Renney's just told 29 GMs that he's too fragile to play a regular role, so it's not like he's going to hold much value.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I can see Renney not playing him in to make sure he does not get hurt In anticipation of a trade.
I don't see how this makes sense.

Wouldn't constantly benching Prucha diminish his trade value?

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote