HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ducks Acquire Mike Brown for McIver

Old
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Kind of bizarre to see McIver waived, lost to waivers, then they refused to send Brown down on waivers because they didn't want to lose him, now they trade him for McIver?

Management MUST have changed their mind about Brown to trade him for someone they didn't care too much about losing.
McIver claimed waivers which meant he could play in Manitoba no problem.

This was basically a sure fire way of having the extra body in Manitoba. If they claimed McIver on waivers, they would have to send him down again, risking having one of the 15 teams ahead of them in the standings claim him the second time around.

Smart GMing, but really common sense in the GM world.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Hilarious how not to long ago you guys were afraid to expose him to waivers because you didn't want to lose him..
Hilarious how your complete lack of knowledge regarding the situation resulted in you equating managements 'bizarre' fear of losing him to waivers, and the Canucks fanbase. If you knew anything about this subject -which you don't - you would have realized that managements fear of losing him on waivers was one of the most criticized decisions made my management, and actually started a massive Mike Brown 'joke' on the Canucks board.

Better luck next time Randall.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Hilarious how not to long ago you guys were afraid to expose him to waivers because you didn't want to lose him..
Us guys wanted him gone.

Not sure what Gillis had in mind, but this is good in the end I guess. The Moose get a good player.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
State of Hockey

Vancouver wants McIver back? Yikes, what a big trade between two worthless players.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkLOLund View Post
Thought it was DUSTIN Brown for a second there
Dustin has just as much chance of being traded to the ducks as Getzlaf to the kings.

A little common sense should have prevailed imo.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Bobby Smash

i wanted anaheim to acquire o'brien instead. i always liked him when he was in anaheim.

brookbank for o'brien.

Bobby Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
Hilarious how your complete lack of knowledge regarding the situation resulted in you equating managements 'bizarre' fear of losing him to waivers, and the Canucks fanbase. If you knew anything about this subject -which you don't - you would have realized that managements fear of losing him on waivers was one of the most criticized decisions made my management, and actually started a massive Mike Brown 'joke' on the Canucks board.

Better luck next time Randall.
Oh really, but Gillis is a genius, he can do no wrong remember? he's brilliant for saving up so much cap space to sign Sundin, either way I don't care as long as Brown fights, and hopefully he will light up Willie Mitchell in the near future, though Willie is pretty afraid of dropping the gloves vs the ducks for some odd reason.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
vcx*

Hopefully this Mike Brown works out better for the Ducks than the last one they got from the Canucks or rather, the last ex-canuck named Mike Brown. I don't get this move, are the Canucks trading O'Brien now because of the issues Vigneault has had with him with the speaking out for being benched and being told to play tougher, challenging another player on the team to a fight when jousting with Raymond?

I'd love to have O'Brien on the Pens as the bottom pairing guy, he's big, physical and a defensive defenseman.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I think that every canuck fan wanted him to be waived!! We were all shocked that he wasn't, and were all wondering what Brown had on Gillis to not waive him in all this time.

Brown has been maybe the most useless extra roster player I have seen on the canucks in my 30+ years of following the team. I could not understand why he wasn't being waived! And even though the club kept him, AV had no confidence in him - hardly ever playing him, and when he did get a shift here or there, he'd usually cough up the puck, or be invisible out there. What was more upsetting was that there were more productive players that weren't getting time because of Brown. The club actually waived Jaffray - who actually performed quite well in his limited time with the club, just so they wouldn't risk losing Brown for nothing... whereas in reality, losing him for nothing would have been great for the club!

When you throw in the fact that the canucks actually have quite a bit of team toughness with several guys that will fight, along with a couple of good fighters already that play every game in Hordichuk and O'Brien (or Davison if O'Brien is out), I couldn't understand what value a middle-weight like him, who's got no hands, no hockey sense and no real purpose on the roster, really had for this team? The only thing that Brown can do is skate well in a straight line. That and be a guy who's not afraid to play physical - he will fight, throw some hits and play aggressive. But that's all he is.

If your team lacks toughness then he could be a ok depth guy to plug in every now and then... but that's not the Ducks, who are also a tough enough team. He'll be just as useless there, and before long you'll be wondering why you ever acquired him.

I'm just waiting now for the ducks to eventually waive him (and they will because he really is useless!), and then see Gillis pluck him off waivers and give him one of the roster spots with the club

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Peter

On Oct. 11, 2002 the Vancouver Canucks placed LW'er Mike Brown on waivers and was picked up the Ducks. Feb. 4 the Vancouver Canucks trade RW'er Mike Brown to the Ducks for Nathan McIver. As Spring makes way for Summer so Vancouver makes way for another Mike Brown....

I wonder if we can get Mike Brown the goalie from the Boston Bruins...that would complete the set.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Oh really, but Gillis is a genius, he can do no wrong remember? he's brilliant for saving up so much cap space to sign Sundin, either way I don't care as long as Brown fights, and hopefully he will light up Willie Mitchell in the near future, though Willie is pretty afraid of dropping the gloves vs the ducks for some odd reason.
Hahaha. Why not just admit you were wrong instead of making yourself look even stupider by bringing up an array of irrelevant points.

Once again, better luck next time Randall.

Old
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
You get called out for not having a clue, and respond with a completely unrelated argument. From what I can gather of your posts, seems to be par for the course. Keep up the good work.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Maybe Mitchell doesn't fight against the Ducks because he rarely ever fights? I also hope Brown plays and fights against the Canucks so we can laugh at him from the other side.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rt
Usually Incorrect

How could anyone possibly think we were talking about Dustin Brown, here. I'd sooner think Brad or Sean Brown, considering the return. And those guys haven't been in the NHL for years. Even still, it would be ten times more likely.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vcx*

Quote:
Maybe because his coach tells him not to? If he's got an assignment and he fights and that assignment is let loose and is the reason they lose...why the hell would he fight then? As for Brown, he's a decent fighter, not a great one or that good of one, but he's not the worst either.

Old
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
How could anyone possibly think we were talking about Dustin Brown, here. I'd sooner think Brad or Sean Brown, considering the return. And those guys haven't been in the NHL for years. Even still, it would be ten times more likely.
I thought it was Sean Brown or that Curtis Brown was making a comeback or something.

Old
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Brown for ?

A bit lopsided, MacGuyver is better at maximizing the effectiveness of situations...

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
Hahaha. Why not just admit you were wrong instead of making yourself look even stupider by bringing up an array of irrelevant points.

Once again, better luck next time Randall.
It is funny how the annonymity of the internet makes people so much more unwilling to concede that they were mis-informed or simply made a mistake and admit that they were wrong. You'd think it would be the opposite. I mean, it's not as though there is any tangible credibility to be lost on a message board, and it's widely understood and accepted that we are all a little more prone to talking out of our *****, when it's annonymous.

You'll know when I'm talking out of my ass because I'll use a **** load of qualifiers like, "as far as I know", or "from what I understand", or "apparently" or "it seems to me". I'll usually volunteer the fact that I don't really know, but if not, I'll certainly admit it if confronted.

Last edited by rt: 02-04-2009 at 04:34 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFluoric View Post
Maybe Mitchell doesn't fight against the Ducks because he rarely ever fights? I also hope Brown plays and fights against the Canucks so we can laugh at him from the other side.
If Rick the Rypper is in the line-up, I'd love to see him drop the gloves against Brown, size wise they are a good match and Rick would destroy Brown.

Old
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It is funny how the annonymity of the internet makes people so much more unwilling to concede that they were mis-informed or simply made a mistake and admit that they were wrong. You'd think it would be the opposite.
Ya, I also find - due to moderations, sometimes people are never really held accountable for the things they claim/argue. It is seen as trolling, but in reality, it is accountability.

Old
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
If Rick the Rypper is in the line-up, I'd love to see him drop the gloves against Brown, size wise they are a good match and Rick would destroy Brown.
Rick the Ripper is never in the lineup...

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
AnaheimDucks90

Randall Graves is right, but I didn't have expect that the Nucks fans have the backbone to give credit to a fan from an other team .

AnaheimDucks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
4rde

Didnt Canucks waive him at the start of the season and Ducks picked him up, now Ducks waive him and Canucks picks him up, like a pinball

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Rick the Ripper is never in the lineup...
I don't get the province up here anymore but I read on TSN that he was out of the line up for personal reasons or something like that, so maybe he's healthy finally and is just taking care of something family related. But yeah, he is always hurt, I remember reading he set a record for Canucks players for the Grind hike, I thought he was finally healthy and then...he's hurt again and again...you get the pattern. Poor guy, I thought he made Cooke expendable (Burrows as well I guess) with a small energy player when he was healthy and now he can't stay healthy and really at this point, is his career in jeopardy at all yet? Hope it's not.

Old
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDucks90 View Post
Randall Graves is right, but I didn't have expect that the Nucks fans have the backbone to give credit to a fan from an other team .
what is he right about?

I hope you don't mean about canuck fans not wanting to lose Brown on waivers... cause all you'd have to do is just scroll through the threads on the canucks board to know that he was wrong on that!

or maybe this is just your way of throwing an insult at canuck fans

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote