HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Financial Situation aka Show Me the Money Thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
And you even spelled Saskatchewan right to boot.
Hey, I'm no caboose-scratchin' Newfie...

Old
02-15-2009, 12:53 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
...which is probably why you ought to chillax about it. It's a thought experiment, not a pending actual occurrence.

First of all, thanks for using the word "ridiculous." It makes me sound so much more sane and balanced by comparison. Second, I will guarantee you that 99% of the people giving Phoenix such a hard time about having the Coyotes aren't Winnipeggers. Pretty much the only people who want the Jets back in Winnipeg actually live there. The rest of the hootin' and hollerin' is from Canadians who simply think the franchise (and the head coach/hockey god) was stolen from their country and needs to be returned.

Now me personally, my priority is keeping NHL hockey in Arizona. If the Coyotes left and we got a new franchise in the bargain, the Coyotes/Jets/Whatevers could go play in Left Noob, Saskatchewan for all I care. I like the Jets/Coyotes franchise a lot and I'd most likely still cheer for certain elements therein (Doan, Boedker, Turris, Lisin) regardless of where they ended up.

If you asked whether I think the franchise would be better off in Hamilton or Winnipeg, I'd vote Winnipeg because I think they got jobbed (get it?) and deserve to have first dibs on this particular franchise. But the overwhelmingly mind-blastingly large majority of the "Give Back The Yotes" movement want them in Hamilton. Hard not to see that.

Well, the ECHL franchise was using the name and logo already, wasn't it? But, sticking with the theoretical nature of this premise, if the Coyotes left and the existing RoadRunners went **** up, I could think of no better name or logo or colors for the "replacement" franchise to adopt than those that have been around the Valley since before most folks around here were born.

But anyway, since this is a suppositional pie-in-the-sky theory (akin to the entire HFBoards Trades and Free Agents forum), why not bat it around instead of melting a brain microchip?
Since all the seats and just about everything else in the Arena are "Sadona Red" this theortical Roadrunner team would have to incorporate those colors.

Old
02-15-2009, 12:56 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Since all the seats and just about everything else in the Arena are "Sadona Red" this theortical Roadrunner team would have to incorporate those colors.
I'm so sick of sedona red at this point. We have the least original color schemes here in AZ sports teams.

Old
02-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Confucius

700 million to break the lease. Whoever negotiated that for the city is a genius. Coyotes are in Glendale for the duration! I think the nhl wants to move to KC, so they are in a bind, afterall you can't bankrupt a team and then expand to KC. If they tried that I'm sure Glendale would have the NHL in court. Although Canada would also like another team it isn't going to happen. Should be interesting to watch the business side of things over the next year.

Old
02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I'm so sick of sedona red at this point. We have the least original color schemes here in AZ sports teams.
I know. Bad enough that team colors are becoming "standardized" for all the sports teams here--I wonder how long it'll be before the Suns roll out new unis with them--but red and white, while classic, is quite common. Since zyllyx mentioned the RoadRunners, I've been picturing that color scheme in an NHL-style uniform, and I kind of like it. I'm starting to think that the Jets should have negotiated the rights to the RoadRunner name, logo, and color scheme when they moved down here. I can't imagine it would have cost all that much, and it would have appealed to a small, but persistent fan base right off the bat.

Old
02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
700 million to break the lease. Whoever negotiated that for the city is a genius. Coyotes are in Glendale for the duration! I think the nhl wants to move to KC, so they are in a bind, afterall you can't bankrupt a team and then expand to KC. If they tried that I'm sure Glendale would have the NHL in court. Although Canada would also like another team it isn't going to happen. Should be interesting to watch the business side of things over the next year.
Kansas City Islanders not Kansas City Coyotes. Much easier to move the Isles at this point and when they get Tavares this summer it might actually be an interesting franchise compared to the crap they roll out with now.

Old
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Well and Betman specifically said that the reason he is not in favor of the Team moving is that we have a very adequate NHL caliber arena where as the Ills don't. But I do feel for any fans that have to deal with their team leaving. Although NYC does have 2 other teams so it's not like their would be a massive void.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
lanky

It was just reported on TSN that they Coyotes are close to being sold. Apparently the city of Glendale has made some concessions and there are now four groups interested in the full purchase of the franchise.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
It was just reported on TSN that they Coyotes are close to being sold. Apparently the city of Glendale has made some concessions and there are now four groups interested in the full purchase of the franchise.
T-minus 30 minutes for a link or an outpouring of people who saw/heard this or this post is toast.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:10 PM
ducky

That is HUGE news.

There is no doubt in my mind the constant reporting of the Coyotes financial crisis has had a very large affect on the team. Players say it doesn't bother them but I don't believe it. The performance over the last month is evidence to the contrary.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia View Post
T-minus 30 minutes for a link or an outpouring of people who saw/heard this or this post is toast.
Another poster on a different thread. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=603217&page=6

Old
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
This is great news for the Phoenix Coyotes Franchise!!!

Old
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Dan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2675...s=secStory_nhl

Old
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Jakeman

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2675...s=secStory_nhl

A deals already on the table , with two others in the mix.

Old
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Jakeman

Sorry! I didn't realize that it was posted .

Old
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM
MP

Before I get too excited, I'm waiting to see if the new owner(s) are indeed committed to keeping the team in Phoenix. If the purchase only clears the way for relocation, I'd be sorely disappointed, if not totally surprised.

Old
02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Before I get too excited, I'm waiting to see if the new owner(s) are indeed committed to keeping the team in Phoenix. If the purchase only clears the way for relocation, I'd be sorely disappointed, if not totally surprised.
I can't see why the City of Glendale would give up their leverage and remove the relocation clause in the lease. Making the terms more attractive to attract new owners to keep the team in Glendale makes sense. Even if it means less $$ for the city, it's still better than losing the team.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:01 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Obviously the team would not be moving from the desert- did you read the part about the City of Glendale working to make a deal happen?

Old
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Hopefully we'll hear more details soon.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:11 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the interested parties if a group were to be involved in a purchase. His net worth has to be approaching $100mil. He has stated several times that he desires to own a NHL franchise, we are the closest option to LA at the moment and he's also a name. Something this franchise seems to deem important :Cough: TGO :Cough:.

That's my $.02 for the moment.

Last edited by HockeyHillbilly: 02-17-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I had been hoping for Bruckheimer as he could seriously up the production value.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the interested parties if a group were to be involved in a purchase. His net worth has to be approaching $100mil. He has stated several times that he desires to own a NHL franchise, we are the closest option to LA at the moment and he's also a name. Something this franchise seems to deem important :Cough: TGO :Cough:.

That's my $.02 for the moment.
A $100 mill net worth is nowhere near enough to successfully own this team.

If his isn't would he have other major investors?

Old
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
A $100 mill net worth is nowhere near enough to successfully own this team.

Good thing is that his would be substantially more than that.
I didn't mean him alone, but as part of a group. I also have no idea where his net worth is. It may be considerably more, but I was unable to find it in my hyper quick search. I'm not a journalist, I'm more of a tabloidist. If you throw out enough wild junk some of it is bound to be true. Think Dionne Warwick and her psychic friends network.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I just hope whatever or whom ever invests, thats it's in cash and no more debt. Maybe given that the Credit markets are in shambles that buying this team on credit would be otherwise impossible.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Jake16

Any progress towards keeping this team in Arizona is amazing news. Now the fans need to step up and start buying the tickets to make this thing work and silence the Canadian vultures.

Closed Thread