HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Financial Situation aka Show Me the Money Thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

vCash: 500
What exactly is the deal with the lease situation? I keep hearing about it. Do the Coyotes just pay too much to Glendale to use the arena or is there more to it?

Old
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
At least it will be a positive buy...

Old
02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

This is very promising. The Canadian press seems to be on top of this much moreso than The Repulsive. As someone who moved to the west side of Phoenix partly because of the Coyotes, this is a big relief. I just hope whomever is kicking the tires has money, patience and guts. This could ultimately be a very good situation here.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
destination unknown

I'm glad there is interest. This would be the rallying move on the financial side that would ensure stability and ease minds. Hopefully this can lead to on ice success next season.

I don't buy the smoke and mirrors arguments about this team when they were in 5th. I think they showed something the first half but need some tweaking. Only when these financial issues are put to bed will the team be able to start making moves for next year like resigning guys.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM
2yotesfans88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
What exactly is the deal with the lease situation? I keep hearing about it. Do the Coyotes just pay too much to Glendale to use the arena or is there more to it?
I just did a quick search and could not find the article. it may have even been on espn.com. but whatever. there are prob a few out there if anyone knows of one that sums up the lease and why its bad can you post...

one think that jumped out at me is that the yotes pay something like 1 or 2 bucks per car per game to the city. i mean i could be wrong. and they pay for alot of stuff but dont get anything out of concert rev.

on the article...at this point any news is good news. i was sick of hearing about a DISPERSMENT draft by the idoit on HNIC. not like he said it alot but once is enought

Old
02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
CoyotesIce99

Bruckheimer has been mentioned as one of the possible owners in the past. I wonder if Gretzky knows him from LA.
I just hope he is very rich.
It would be nice if the Coyotes have owners who are billionaire.
Not trying to be greedy.
It would be wonderful for the Coyotes to have money to go shopping on July1.

Old
02-18-2009, 07:54 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
This is very promising. The Canadian press seems to be on top of this much moreso than The Repulsive. As someone who moved to the west side of Phoenix partly because of the Coyotes, this is a big relief. I just hope whomever is kicking the tires has money, patience and guts. This could ultimately be a very good situation here.
I bought a home on the western side as well to be near the team.

Old
02-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Agalloch

Good news for the Yotes. I hope the team will stay in Phoenix long term.

Old
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I had several posts in the first iteration of this thread with lease details and links. Here's a summary of what I was able to find:

- Team fully operates the arena
- Annual lease is slightly over $500k
- Team pays Glendale ~$2.5 per ticket for parking to all arena events. Estimates were this is about $2.5mil/year. Not completely clear if that includes only tickets sold or all tickets available for each event.
- Only other $ Glendale collects are standard sales taxes on tickets & merchandise (2.2%), which probably total less than $1mil/year.

We don't have the specific details of the lease concessions ownership was seeking, but they probably focus on increasing revenue to the team.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:03 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I had several posts in the first iteration of this thread with lease details and links. Here's a summary of what I was able to find:

- Team fully operates the arena
- Annual lease is slightly over $500k
- Team pays Glendale ~$2.5 per ticket for parking to all arena events. Estimates were this is about $2.5mil/year. Not completely clear if that includes only tickets sold or all tickets available for each event.
- Only other $ Glendale collects are standard sales taxes on tickets & merchandise (2.2%), which probably total less than $1mil/year.

We don't have the specific details of the lease concessions ownership was seeking, but they probably focus on increasing revenue to the team.
Again, this is a sweet deal. Even if the city was to waive the parking fee and lease, the team would only save $ 3 M, or only 10% of their annual losses. Not the kind of thing that will suddenly spark buyer interest.

The negotiations HAD to revolve around the possibility of the team moving. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense. I could see the penalty being lowered to a fraction of what it is today after a few years. Something like if the coyotes are not profitable within 2 to 3 years, ownership can take the team elsewhere for less than $100 M. It gives new owners options, and the city of Glendale gets more out of the deal than they would via bankruptcy.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
The negotiations HAD to revolve around the possibility of the team moving. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense. I could see the penalty being lowered to a fraction of what it is today after a few years. Something like if the coyotes are not profitable within 2 to 3 years, ownership can take the team elsewhere for less than $100 M. It gives new owners options, and the city of Glendale gets more out of the deal than they would via bankruptcy.
The penalty, which the exact amount is a closely guarded secret, is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700MM. It was set ridiculously high because the city took an incredible gamble in buyilding the arena. While the city may have some flexibility here, you can bet it won't be coming down to $100MM -- it will still be in place to make sure there is a very strong deterrent to moving the team. Glendale and the west valley has an awful lot riding on this building and team being successful.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

The City of Glendale will still protect their $200m investment in that building. Whatever happens the Coyotes have to:
1) field a winning team which the City has no part in and shouldn't have to be penalized for
2) Whatever the walk-away penalty is it's in essence the Coyotes purchasing the building to walk away, which doesn't make business sense.

I don't think the City should have to budge from that $700 m figure, they have ever right to protect that building and the key role it plays in development out there. If it was a bad deal the Coyotes shouldn't have signed it and stayed at AWA. It's not the Cities fault the team has been wretched for years.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

If the City can do something to make sure the team sticks around for another 3-5 years and still have a penalty big enough to get back their initial investment less what has been recovered by that time, why wouldn't they at least consider it? They would be able to say the deal is still protecting the tax payers.

The options for them aren't very good.

Old
02-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Ghosthoffa

ideally if the new owner can pay off the debt load this team would be profitable and if the reports are true and the team can be had just by assuming the debt load it wouldn't be unrealistic to think that a new owner would pay the debt down or off to start making money.

by the way Bruckheimer is worht approx $85 million

Link

Old
02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
one2gamble

I really hope you guys figure it all out, you have a great arena and a decent young team.

Do you think you would have better attendance if it was closer to the phoenix or is it simply that the team hasnt been very good?

Old
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Ghosthoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I really hope you guys figure it all out, you have a great arena and a decent young team.

Do you think you would have better attendance if it was closer to the phoenix or is it simply that the team hasnt been very good?
attendance might be slightly higher but I doubt it would be a largely noticeable difference, Glendale is only like 18 miles from where the Coyotes used to play. all freeway drive time too. The biggest plague is that phoenix is a front running town, always has been

Old
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthoffa View Post
ideally if the new owner can pay off the debt load this team would be profitable and if the reports are true and the team can be had just by assuming the debt load it wouldn't be unrealistic to think that a new owner would pay the debt down or off to start making money.

by the way Bruckheimer is worht approx $85 million

Link
If that's true, and I'd guess it is substantially higher than that based on nothing in particular, he'd better have 10 or 15 more guys just as wealthy as him to be considering this deal.

The last thing that this team needs is someone who can't afford to come in and have the patience and the payroll room to make the team competitive.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Again, this is a sweet deal. Even if the city was to waive the parking fee and lease, the team would only save $ 3 M, or only 10% of their annual losses. Not the kind of thing that will suddenly spark buyer interest.
That's not necessarily correct. It all depends on what the true hockey operations loss is without including interest or other non-hockey related expenses that might not transfer from Moyes to the new owner. If a substantial portion of the claimed $30mil is due to items like interest payments the new owner could choose to simply pay off the debt and not incur those interest payments.

My personal calcs suggest the hockey operation loss is probably around $10mil. If that were accurate then the $3m in concessions becomes 30%. Suppose the concessions went even further and turned parking into a $2m revenue generator instead of -$2.5mil drain, then you're talking 50% of the operating loss.

Quote:
If the concessions could be in the 30% to 50% of operating loss range would it make sense?

Old
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

On a related note, I think I have an explanation for the "how much is Gretzky making?" conundrum.

- 2001: Gretzky partners with Moyes and Ellman to purchase the Coyotes.

- 2006/Apr: Moyes and Ellman split up assets, Gretzky maintains ownership in both asset pools.

- 2006/May: Gretzky signs a 5 year contract to coach the Coyotes.

Gretzky very likely has two independent deals/contracts.
- One with Moyes as a part owner which dates back to 2001 and may have been amended in the April 2006 split.
- A second contract as head coach for the team.

It very well could be completely true that he's making ~$7mil/year between the two contracts, but only average coaching salary on the second deal. Gretzky's doesn't flat out say he has two different deals, but his comments support that interpretation.

That would also imply that Gretz may or may not retain an ownership stake after the team is bought. Even if he does, whatever his first deal contains could be re-opened for new negotiations.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
amjay13

Quote:
attendance might be slightly higher but I doubt it would be a largely noticeable difference, Glendale is only like 18 miles from where the Coyotes used to play. all freeway drive time too. The biggest plague is that phoenix is a front running town, always has been
If the arena was in Scottsdale, attendance would not be a problem. The majority of the money and the majority of the fan base are on the east side of town.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
AzYotes18

I disagree that attendance would be more if it was in Scottsdale. I think the coyotes would still be in this financial situation.

The last time they had crazy attendance was from the last few years the yotes were in the playoffs...

It comes down to winning............

thats a fact in every single sport in every place....

Win games, and people will show up to watch.

Old
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Ghosthoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
If the arena was in Scottsdale, attendance would not be a problem. The majority of the money and the majority of the fan base are on the east side of town.
False

Old
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Ghosthoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
I disagree that attendance would be more if it was in Scottsdale. I think the coyotes would still be in this financial situation.

The last time they had crazy attendance was from the last few years the yotes were in the playoffs...

Agreed, I think for fans that would come from the east valley you would see many from the westside who would not

Old
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post

The Yotes might have been in financial trouble but I don't think one can dispute that the attendance would be higher in Scottsdale than it is in Glendale.

I personally would be a season ticket holder if the stadium was on this side of town. Instead I go to about 3 games per year. I know several others who had season tickets downtown but don't anymore.

I hope the Yotes do well over there but I think the Yotes died the day they broke ground on the stadium in Glendale. Great building, bad spot for valley hockey fans.

Old
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Agreed, I think for fans that would come from the east valley you would see many from the westside who would not
Perhaps, but not as many.

Are you saying that the money and the majority of the fan base are NOT on the east side?

Closed Thread