Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 50: @ Colorado, 2/05

Old
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
It's one game. I'm not going to freak out over one loss in their last 6.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
It's one game. I'm not going to freak out over one loss in their last 6.
You are a changed man Lobo...

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
You are a changed man Lobo...

Old
02-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Freak out. No. Question Turco, Sydor, Tippet, and the effort yes.

Turco was awful at times. That goal by Svatos he gave him half the net to shoot in because he dropped down like two seconds early. He has to play the shooter and didn't.

Sydor blew a couple of coverages and I swear to god no one in this league takes a bigger windup to shoot the puck. The whole damn defense has forever to block his shot.

Tippet is a moron for insisting on playing Turco every freaking game. So thus we get efforts like this. Did he honestly scratch Brunnstrom for Conner? Seriously? That should not only get him fired it should have him struggling to find a job as a CHL coach let alone an NHL franchise. Abysmal doesn't even begin to describe his coaching decisions.

The effort as a whole was horrible. Neal played well. Eriksson was his usual self but Grossman was terrible. Hutchinson wasn't much better. Conner shouldn't even have bothered to suit up for the effort he gave. Ribiero was less than useful and neither Richards or Modano were that good either.

Really doesn't make me want to go tonight. I better see better effort or hey this push for a playoff spot won't last long.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
That goal by Svatos he gave him half the net to shoot in because he dropped down like two seconds early. He has to play the shooter and didn't.
You can't honestly be blaming Turco for that goal.

All four PKers for the Stars, went to the puck. Turco had 2 guys to worry about in that situation.

That Svatos goal was hardly his fault.

Old
02-06-2009, 01:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Yeah, the 1st and the 3rd were the bad ones.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
BigG44

Quote:

All four PKers for the Stars, went to the puck. Turco had 2 guys to worry about in that situation.

Agreed. I've never seen that. I'm surprised Lehtinen was involved, but he was first on the scene I guess.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

That whole mess was mostly Daley's fault. He had plenty of time to clear the zone, messed it up, then went running around out of position.

Old
02-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Daley was just terrible last night, speaking of guys who sucked (not that anyone was really that good). Turco should have stopped the third goal regardless, but Daley was also wandering around in no-man's land while it was hit guy who was scoring.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:

I was talking about the first goal. Maybe that was Heduk. My bad. It was a terrible goal, completely Marty's fault.

Old
02-06-2009, 04:19 PM
________

vCash: 181
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The coaching staffs idea to match up Daley and Robidas against Smyth's line was horrible. Colorado got most of their scoring chances when the defense pair was on the ice.
I would like to see Grossman and Hutchinson receive more ice time, but I don't count on that happening.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:

Tippet is a moron for insisting on playing Turco every freaking game. So thus we get efforts like this. Did he honestly scratch Brunnstrom for Conner? Seriously? That should not only get him fired it should have him struggling to find a job as a CHL coach let alone an NHL franchise. Abysmal doesn't even begin to describe his coaching decisions.
A bit of an over simplification, I believe. Brunnstrom's been out injured and sick for how long? And you want to just throw him in there when they've been on their biggest win streak of the year? Haven't you realized that chemistry's important to this team, whether you like it or not? Call 'em mental weanies if you want, but it's Tips job to win with the players he's got, and if that means choosing chemistry over talent, he has to make that call. I'm sure Brunnstrom will be back in the lineup tonight.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Chemistry? Conner? Are you serious? Do you think that riding Conner and benching the unarguably better player is a good decision or that it should be eased into? He was going to be "thrown into the fire" regardless, just by getting back out on the ice. If they were worried about his stamina then they should have scratched Barch and put Brunnstrom on the 4th line to get him 7-10 minutes last night.

So instead Brunnstrom will play with Modano tonight and that's just fine. At least that's what you're telling me. It doesn't matter that they lost last night. There's no telling whether Brunnstrom would have made a difference but you can't honestly tell me that Conner is the better choice, win streak or not. So they wasted a game and didn't skate their best lineup for "chemistry" purposes and not changing what's working.

Next time when Loui Erkisson is injured should he sit out when healthy before being reunited with Richards because whoever comes along doesn't screw up horribly? Please explain the logic to me.

It's a terrible coaching decision just like playing Turco three times in three and a half days will also be a terrible coaching decision.

Old
02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Quote:
Chemistry? Conner? Are you serious? Do you think that riding Conner and benching the unarguably better player is a good decision or that it should be eased into? He was going to be "thrown into the fire" regardless, just by getting back out on the ice. If they were worried about his stamina then they should have scratched Barch and put Brunnstrom on the 4th line to get him 7-10 minutes last night.

So instead Brunnstrom will play with Modano tonight and that's just fine. At least that's what you're telling me. It doesn't matter that they lost last night. There's no telling whether Brunnstrom would have made a difference but you can't honestly tell me that Conner is the better choice, win streak or not. So they wasted a game and didn't skate their best lineup for "chemistry" purposes and not changing what's working.

Next time when Loui Erkisson is injured should he sit out when healthy before being reunited with Richards because whoever comes along doesn't screw up horribly? Please explain the logic to me.

It's a terrible coaching decision just like playing Turco three times in three and a half days will also be a terrible coaching decision.
Actually, I thought Conner had developed some decent chances lately on Mo's line. Maybe they thought Conner at 100% was better than Faby at 80%, or a rusty 100%. I just think it's ridiculous to insinuate you know more about who should play than the people who do this for a living and work with the team daily and personally. And like it or not, Tip's got a lot of wins under his belt- he's not an awful coach. As an armchair coach, sure, I would've put Faby in last night too, but to insinuate that Tip is clueless and that it's an obvious mistake is naive and arrogant. You may disagree with the decision, but remember, you're only privy to 5% of the information he has when he makes the lineups.

Old
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
aisforaaron83

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
Actually, I thought Conner had developed some decent chances lately on Mo's line. Maybe they thought Conner at 100% was better than Faby at 80%, or a rusty 100%. I just think it's ridiculous to insinuate you know more about who should play than the people who do this for a living and work with the team daily and personally. And like it or not, Tip's got a lot of wins under his belt- he's not an awful coach. As an armchair coach, sure, I would've put Faby in last night too, but to insinuate that Tip is clueless and that it's an obvious mistake is naive and arrogant. You may disagree with the decision, but remember, you're only privy to 5% of the information he has when he makes the lineups.
Indeed

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
And like it or not, Tip's got a lot of wins under his belt- he's not an awful coach.
Do believe this is the best post of the season, thus far.

Old
02-06-2009, 07:50 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:

Agree 100%. If that makes me naive and arrogant, great.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:08 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Maybe 'dogmatic' would have been better than 'arrogant.' I still say that no one wants to account for the information issue. Maybe Conner outplayed Brunnstrom in practice the last few days. Maybe Brunnstrom gave a lot of wrong answers in the film session. Who knows? It's because of this I still stand by my original premise... To say sitting FB that one game is clearly the a horrible move and the reason we lost is an over simplification.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Look, if you say that no one can have strong opinions because they don't have access to every piece of information, then what's the point of message boards? We have access to the most important information: gameplay.

And if you say why question the staff, they must know what they're doing, they're the people directly in contact with the situation, how can they ever be wrong about anything?

Of course it's not the reason the team lost, but it is a reason the team didn't have a better chance of winning.

Moreover, this is not a new tendency from Tippett. He's done this kind of thing many times in the past. It's the reason we've gone through playoff series with multiple spares in the lineup again and again. "Well, the team won, so I don't see a reason to change the lineup..." I will go out on a limb and say it's nothing Brunnstrom did wrong, but just Tippett's natural coaching philosophy.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Fair enough. I just get sick of hearing that Tippet doesn't know anything about hockey. He may not be a hall of famer, but good grief! We're right back in the thick of things in spite of injuries and distractions galore. The head coach has to be part of what helped the team refocus. Just a drop of credit would be nice to see.

Old
02-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Captain Awesome

I think saying Tippett doesn't know anything about hockey would be ridiculous. And I hate to bump anything up after a monumental 10-2 win, but frankly he seems to be playing scared with his decisions. And his lack of risk taking is killing us on some nights. I don't care if he's Scotty frikkin Bowman, he has made a lot of stupid decisions this season. The biggest is playing Turco every damn night, we WILL lose in the playoffs if he keeps up this pace. I can't say that is fact, but I will anyway.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote