HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

02/05/09 Washington Capitals vs Los Angeles Kings. Verizon Center.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Fehr is terrible. I'm really surprised at home many people think he's good.
man i think you're way off base here.

even TXPD has given him some love and he's King Cynic when it comes to Fehr.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Eric Fehr is 23 and has played in 79 NHL games -never more than 31 in a single season. It's too early to conclude anything.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

All Fehr is missing right now is finish. When he turns that corner, that's going to be a real valuable player. he still needs to work on his speed, adjusting to the pace of the game at this level, but he has a good release from the hash marks in, and scorer's instincts.

When he isn't scoring, Fehr still brings ample size and a willingness to muck in the corner. He's a nice fit as an affordable third liner at the moment, and he's insurance down the road in the event one or more of the team's scoring players opts to leave or becomes too expensive to retain.

What hurts him more than anything is that he lost two solid development seasons at the AHL level. He's going to put it together late.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Fehr on the top line shows some confidence in him from Bruce, that should help him down the road.

All he really needs to do is crash the net and be ready to put his stick on the puck. Ovie is going to shoot it, hopefully he can get the rebound.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
DeeMeck

CAPS SUCK!!!.........now THAT would be considered trolling.

I like the Caps for an east coast team...I have family that travelled to Maryland to visit some relatives this week...and there are about 12 of them heading to the game tonight sitting in the upper section. I hope it's a good close game for their sake and ours.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'm going to pull a sk8 (ala NJ) and ask for a 1-0 Caps win and hope for a repeat performance.

For those attending the game please feel free to make the local Kings' fans there feel as welcome as the wife and I felt in Nov (even though we go to many Kings' games as Kings' fans).

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
CAPS SUCK!!!.........now THAT would be considered trolling.

I like the Caps for an east coast team...I have family that travelled to Maryland to visit some relatives this week...and there are about 12 of them heading to the game tonight sitting in the upper section. I hope it's a good close game for their sake and ours.
No be fair to the posts complaining about trolls, I believe some posts were removed from the thread...

Also since my "not good" comment started some of it. The Kings are 21st in the league that has 30 teams (in points percent). If you guys wanna say thats good then more power to you, when "average" would be 15-16 then I think 21 is below average, aka not good. It's not like I called the team terrible, horrible, crappy, or anything mean.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
pgreene

for the fehr haters, just remember how much flash "sucked" last year. somehow, he's put things together this year. fehr will turn the corner, or he won't, but it's way too damn early to write him off.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
No be fair to the posts complaining about trolls, I believe some posts were removed from the thread...

Also since my "not good" comment started some of it. The Kings are 21st in the league that has 30 teams (in points percent). If you guys wanna say thats good then more power to you, when "average" would be 15-16 then I think 21 is below average, aka not good. It's not like I called the team terrible, horrible, crappy, or anything mean.
Well, 21st isn't great relative to a 10th-ranked club, but 21st is impressive considering the team was hovering around 28th, 29th for much of the early part of the season. That's a team that will probably struggle to overcome its early start, but like the Caps last year, the overall record doesn't account for the team's strong play in the immediate past. The Kings, like the Caps last season, are going to work their butts off to slip into the postseason.

The Kings may, on the whole, be average to below average for the year, but the Kings, right now, are a good challenge. Now the Caps are a very good team, at home, rested, and mostly healthy. Advantage good guys, but the Kings are no pushovers given the way they have been playing of late. The Kings are on a roll.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post

Maybe terrible is a bad word..but he's a borderline scratch. I just don't see it...sometimes he shows flashes..then others he gaffs on scoring chances.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:

Meh...standing is one thing...if you take away Higgins tackle of Doughty in the Montreal game then we would be on a 5 game winning streak.

So yeah, we are 21st in the league...but we are also very hot right now. You guys have a strong home record. The Kings are good at slowing down the play on the road.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Maybe terrible is a bad word..but he's a borderline scratch. I just don't see it...sometimes he shows flashes..then others he gaffs on scoring chances.
Even good teams carry out ongoing player development, on the fly as it were. Fehr is still learning. That means occasional mistakes, but with the promise of rewards for that patience down the line. It's the same philosophy that makes Green's occasional mistakes tolerable. Green is learning from them on the defensive side of the puck, and will be a better player for it. With each passing game, they play in more situations at this level and get used to the pace, to the physicality, to the timing. Same with Fehr. He's learning to bring his ace shot at the junior and AHL levels, up to the NHL level. He has the tools.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Speaking of Flash, he has kind of vanished of late but is a + on the ledger during his goalless run.

I am glad Fehr is getting top line time. I hate drafting a scoring guy then relegating him to checking line status only with other muckers, and then wondering why he cant score. A recipe for a bust.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
johnjm22

Quote:

As Einstein said, everything is relative.

Having just as many regulation wins as losses, is "good" relative to the Kings' performance over the past few seasons.

Relative to the rest of the NHL however, being 21-21-7 is not very good.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

LA has climbed from the bottom to .500. We were at pretty much the exact same spot last season at this point.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
LA has climbed from the bottom to .500. We were at pretty much the exact same spot last season at this point.
Unfortunately they don't have the SE to play in collapsing in front of them and there are so many teams to hop. I hope LA can pull it out cause I'd love to go to a playoff game, but I doubt it.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Speaking of Flash, he has kind of vanished of late but is a + on the ledger during his goalless run.

I am glad Fehr is getting top line time. I hate drafting a scoring guy then relegating him to checking line status only with other muckers, and then wondering why he cant score. A recipe for a bust.
It makes perfect sense with the whole pneumonia deal.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Everyone and their dog is 500 in the NHL.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post

I am not anti-Fehr. What I do is remind people that he needs to score in order to stick. Many here have gotten overly excited with Fehr since he was called up last season when many posted that he would have an immediate impact. That was over the top and unrealistic and I said so. That made me anti Fehr.

All I have ever done is say that Fleischmann, Fehr and Bourque won't stick unless they score. Fleischmann has. Fehr has had a couple of good games here recently. Bourque hasn't gotten his chance yet.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
malyk

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/2/5/7...-the-new-flash

<strike>japer</strike> DMG comes through at the right time.

Fehr scoring at a better pace then the flash of last year in less time with lesser linemates. Also a better +/-.

Flash probably has more dangle and fehr is better along the boards. But otherwise they look to be very similar.

More fehr please.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Unfortunately they don't have the SE to play in collapsing in front of them and there are so many teams to hop. I hope LA can pull it out cause I'd love to go to a playoff game, but I doubt it.
About two-thirds of their remaining games are on the road so, yeah, that's a tall order for a young team. I do think Murray deserves more credit from Kings fans than he's received. His stressing strong foundational hockey will pay off in the long run. They've got some solid pieces and more coming on the way.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am not anti-Fehr. What I do is remind people that he needs to score in order to stick. Many here have gotten overly excited with Fehr since he was called up last season when many posted that he would have an immediate impact. That was over the top and unrealistic and I said so. That made me anti Fehr.

All I have ever done is say that Fleischmann, Fehr and Bourque won't stick unless they score. Fleischmann has. Fehr has had a couple of good games here recently. Bourque hasn't gotten his chance yet.
i never said it to dog you, only to point out that Fehr deserves mini props/

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Stu Macher

I'm looking forward to this game. The Caps are going to have to come out quick and keep the pressure on. When LA gets going, they don't give up a lot of chances.

By the way, I love me some Drew Doughty. Just hope I don't have to see him too much tonight.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:45 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

I've never seen so many people get offended by "not good." Yes I understand they are better then Kings teams of the past and will be better next year then this year, but compared to the rest of the NHL they are pretty average, near the bottom of the average teams. The words in order of worst to best to describe a team to me is: horrible, bad, average, good, great - to me the Kings are not good or great "relative" to the rest of the league.

Old
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Oh my...Andy Pollin and Steve Czban are broadcasting live from the Phone Booth. Too bad I'm not going...I'd boo Andy.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote