HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Great One

Old
02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Incognito

vCash: 500
Should Gretzky have been fired by now? Absolutely. But how exactly does one go about firing the owner?

Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goredwings View Post
Does Wayne Gretzky get a pass as a coach because of who he was? I have watched him have several complete meltdowns toward the on ice officials and rarely get tossed from the game. Most nights he is out of control. No one is taking away from the fact that was/is the "The Great One". But that should not be automatic respect as a coach. If 1 of the other29 coaches pulled some of the stunts that he has pulled they would be fined and suspended.

Bettman and his boys have to have some guts and do something. Bettman has always protected the golden children of the league.
When was the last time you saw a coach ejected? I doesn't happen too often, so why would they go out of their way to draw bad publicity?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Lion Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by benusmc View Post
Babcocks hair does the talking for us
lmao that was a good one.

Lion Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
This isn't baseball. Coaches in hockey can go scream and throw stuff as long as it is not at someone and still stay behind the bench. Either way, I love Gretzky's antics behind the bench. It is the most entertaining thing about Coyote's games to me. I watch them sometimes just to see Gretzky explode. He was the exact same way as a player. It is not like no one saw this coming when he was first hired.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 07:06 AM
The Rock

Gretzky's nothing but a whining little *****. Great player though

If the NHL was like the NBA and gave technical fouls which meant a free penalty shot or powerplay in the NHL, he'd learn to shut his mouth.

The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
This isn't baseball. Coaches in hockey can go scream and throw stuff as long as it is not at someone and still stay behind the bench. Either way, I love Gretzky's antics behind the bench. It is the most entertaining thing about Coyote's games to me. I watch them sometimes just to see Gretzky explode. He was the exact same way as a player. It is not like no one saw this coming when he was first hired.
Pretty good point. Everyone remembers Wayne from his off ice persona apparently.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsNJ4 View Post
Check him out whining here:

That's totally out of context...th epenalty might have been a horrible call, missed calls, blown calls, etc. He's a competitor.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
HackandLube

Throughout the 1980s, Gretzky's name chanted through the Saddledome when he touched the puck was "WHINER! WHINER!"

Then the year that he retired, he recieved a standing ovation in the Saddledome that lasted quite a long time and he cried on the bench.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Throughout the 1980s, Gretzky's name chanted through the Saddledome when he touched the puck was "WHINER! WHINER!"
Just shows you what those fans really knew about the game. I'm sure he whined his way to 92 goals and 215 points in a single season

215 FREAKIN POINTS.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Judge Sauer*

Carbo used to act the same way in his first year and he's gotten much better since then.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by benusmc View Post
not that I think the call was right in the closing min. but to be fair the refs were horrible that whole game.
Agree... there was only like one penalty the entire game that they called that wasn't some chintzy nonsense (on both teams). But they ignored all the real infractions.

As for Wayne, I kind of enjoy watching him melt down. When he really gets going his face turns purple and looks like it's going to explode.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote