HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Arrival Time?

Old
02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
csohio

vCash: 500
Arrival Time?

What time do you arrive at the rink to be ready to play?

csohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:55 AM
pfloyd75

I usually get there a half hour before game time

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:19 AM
iceman17

When I played hockey in my high school league we were required to get to the game an hour before game time.

I usually get to the rink about a half hour before.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
noobman

Usually about 20 minutes before the listed start time. THe start time is usually just the time that they start the flood, so it gives you an extra few minutes to get ready. I'm one of the slowest dressers I know (really picky w/ my skates, usually redo them at least once) and I still make it out on time.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

over an hour before the game. mental prep and im a goalie and it takes me about 20 minutes to get dressed cause im slow

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
TheOtter

30 minutes. More if I want to watch whatever's on the ice when I get there.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
over an hour before the game. mental prep and im a goalie and it takes me about 20 minutes to get dressed cause im slow
I'm also a goalie and I have tried the whole mental preperation thing but I don't think it works for me. I seem to play better when I don't have time to think about things before hand. For example, this past week I had a game as a forward followed by a game as a goalie. I had about 15 minutes between the games, so it was literally Buzzer- shake hands- run to the dressing room and get out of my player gear and into my goalie gear- back out on the ice just as warmups ended.... and I had a great game. Maybe its because I was already warm from playing forward, or maybe its because I didn't have time to think about things much and I didn't overcomplicate things with my thoughts. Games where I get to the rink early, take my time changing... maybe retape my stick....shoot the breeze with friends... I seem to get shelled. Beats me.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I'm also a goalie and I have tried the whole mental preperation thing but I don't think it works for me. I seem to play better when I don't have time to think about things before hand. For example, this past week I had a game as a forward followed by a game as a goalie. I had about 15 minutes between the games, so it was literally Buzzer- shake hands- run to the dressing room and get out of my player gear and into my goalie gear- back out on the ice just as warmups ended.... and I had a great game. Maybe its because I was already warm from playing forward, or maybe its because I didn't have time to think about things much and I didn't overcomplicate things with my thoughts. Games where I get to the rink early, take my time changing... maybe retape my stick....shoot the breeze with friends... I seem to get shelled. Beats me.
yea, im the same way. i dont like to over think the game, like i dont like to picture my self making saves because then when teh shot comes during the game, i have this preconceived thought in my mind about how i should save it instead of just reacting to the shot and letting things play out. i also skate up but i consider my self more of a goalie

i sometimes get nervous before games so when i mentaly prepare i jsut think about the game and the past success ive had jsut thinking about having fun with the game and not take it too too seriously to the point where i get nervous and get out of my game

Old
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I like to actually arrive at the rink 15-20 minutes ahead of time, depending on warmup times and such like that.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
xstartxtodayx

I was always told to be at the rink 45minutes prior while I was growing up, now as an adult I feel rushed and late if I get there with less than 30-45 minutes before start time. As an adult hockey player it's not as important since it's not as competetive but as a kid playing bantam/midget/high school/college/juinor it was a lot more important to get there with plenty of time so the team could meet up and get the game plan.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

yea i dont know how some people show up 20 minutes before the game.

Old
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Hugh Madbrough

an hour for me, I like to stretch and get loose.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
30-40 minutes before a game. For pick-up I get there anywhere between 10-30 minutes before, and sometimes earlier if the pick-up tends to be sold out after awhile or if it's far away(just in case it does sell out even if it doesn't usually). If I have to get my skates sharpened, re-tape my stick, or sort out any equipment issues i get there earlier. Sometimes our team goes over some basic stuff before the game too, so that'll make my arrival time 40-50 minutes before.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
densetsu

I aim to get there 30 minutes before the game. I like to leave some flex time in there just in case of unexpected events (traffic, family stuff, etc).

As a goalie I can get dressed in 10 minutes, super-rushed. Typically I like at least 15 minutes, including shooting the breeze with the guys. Any more time than that and I'll put on my jock/pants/skates/pads, then sit around and do nothing until it's gametime. Throw on my C/A, jersey, gloves and mask and head out.

This is all mens league stuff, so there's no coaches going over game plans, I don't meditate, I just do a quick 3-minute stretching routine on the ice, I retape my sticks at home, etc.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
I hate being late, so I always give myself lots of time. On most days, I'll be in the room 45 mins before the game.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
MikeD

My Son is required to arrive 1 hr before game time. As a goalie, if he is later than hte 1 hr and the other goalie arrives on time before...he will sit. Forp layers, each minute late costs tham 2 minutes of game time.

I like to get to my games at least 45 minutes early. Takes a bit to get the goal gear on and get stretched out plus I like to get a corner spot in hte locker room.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Get to the rink 90 minutes before, get on the bike and loosen up with the boys...then we get in a team stretch; tape up the twigs for the game and into the room for the last 45 minutes before the game.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
McMonster

I like to get to the rink an hour and a half before game time... but I don't get dressed right away

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Grind Line

Most of our team get to the rink around an hour before f/o.
Everyone just chats and eats then rushes to get ready.

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:19 AM
UserName

i try to get there early bt i usually get there around 15 minutes before we are allowed on the ice.

i dress really really fast, takes me five minutes to get everything on and out the door.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote