HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Knocking off San Jose v2.0"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
  #1
Clip68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
"Knocking off San Jose v2.0"

I posted a thread a while back about how with Avery gone, you guys have stepped it up. That's an understatement at this point.
Because of the slow start and San Jose's incredible season, it is likely that you guys will not have home ice in the first round (and yes, you will make the playoffs), but I do feel you are one of the better teams in the league (Richards was a great pickup), and I can definitely see "knocking off San Jose v2.0".

As a leafs fan, I am curious of your needs going in to the playoffs, and what you would offer in a trade with the leafs. Does Kaberle or Antropov fit your needs?

I had previously proposed;

To Dal; Kaberle
To Tor; Jamie Benn, 1st '09

P.S. Sorry for the long winded post when I just wanted to get possible trades with Toronto, but Dallas deserves some love, they are playing great!

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
  #2
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 49,821
vCash: 500
We won't be trading Jamie Benn. I can tell you that right now.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
  #3
jdmcrae
 
jdmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
ugh, I really don't want to see another 1st rounder dealt, it's been awhile since we actually picked in the 1st round

jdmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
  #4
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,823
vCash: 500
Some Dallas fan brought it up in the main thread, but I think a trade between Dallas and Toronto would most likely be for Van Ryn.

Dallas wouldn't want to move the assets it would take to land Kaberle or Kubina.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
  #5
ScubaSteve*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
I appreciate the love, but you are SEVERLY overvaluing Kaberle. I'd send Robidas + Ott for Kaberle. Definitely no picks or prospects, and especially not Benn.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
  #6
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,641
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I'd send Robidas + Ott for Kaberle.
That might be even worse than Benn + 1st.

There's too much pressure on Burke to get a big return for Kaberle to be worth trading for him. Like has been said, Van Ryn is a better target. On the trade board Toronto fans were asking for a 2nd + a 4th. To the OP: would you consider trading him, and would that be your price?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
  #7
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
I've got to admit that even without an acquisition, I like the chances of the Stars to knock off San Jose again. Thornton is never the player against the Stars that he is against the rest of the NHL, and the teams just always seem to match up well against each other. Add in the psychology of it all, and it's a pretty even matchup.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
  #8
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
That might be even worse than Benn + 1st.
How is trading a third pairing defenseman and a third line pest for a legit first pairing defenseman worse then that trade?

The Stars would get a lot more in return for the 1st rounder and Benn, then they would for Ott and Robidas.
Especially considering both Ott and Robidas contracts are up after next season.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
  #9
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,051
vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
How is trading a third pairing defenseman and a third line pest for a legit first pairing defenseman worse then that trade?

The Stars would get a lot more in return for the 1st rounder and Benn, then they would for Ott and Robidas.
Especially considering both Ott and Robidas contracts are up after next season.
I think he meant in terms of brutal proposals. Toronto would reject it just as fast as Dallas would refuse the Benn/1st offer.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM
  #10
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I've got to admit that even without an acquisition, I like the chances of the Stars to knock off San Jose again. Thornton is never the player against the Stars that he is against the rest of the NHL, and the teams just always seem to match up well against each other. Add in the psychology of it all, and it's a pretty even matchup.
I think you can thank Steve Ott for at least part of that.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
  #11
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I've got to admit that even without an acquisition, I like the chances of the Stars to knock off San Jose again. Thornton is never the player against the Stars that he is against the rest of the NHL, and the teams just always seem to match up well against each other. Add in the psychology of it all, and it's a pretty even matchup.
This year- 3 games 0 goals 4 assists
Last year- 8 games 4 goals 6 assists

Seems like himself to me

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
  #12
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Sharks' fans are really nice. I got a TON of handshakes and congratulations and pats on the shoulder after the game I went to at the Tank (Nov. 8, 2008). So friendly.



Last edited by theheadmata: 02-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.
theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
  #13
batmansuncle
Registered User
 
batmansuncle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
This year- 3 games 0 goals 4 assists
Last year- 8 games 4 goals 6 assists

Seems like himself to me
Yeah i thought JT always play good against us. Besides unless Morrow returns ready to go i don't know if we could beat the Sharks

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
  #14
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 49,821
vCash: 500
I'd rather just worry about getting into the playoffs before we start worrying about trying to take out the best team in the league.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
  #15
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I'd rather just worry about getting into the playoffs before we start worrying about trying to take out the best team in the league.
I second this idea

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
  #16
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
This year- 3 games 0 goals 4 assists
Last year- 8 games 4 goals 6 assists

Seems like himself to me
I'd be curious to see how that shook out per game. It seems to me that he's not the player against the Stars that he is against the rest of the NHL, or most teams, but perhaps that's because I always expect a player of his stature and skill to completely take over games against the rather diminutive Stars and he doesn't seem to.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
  #17
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,051
vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
I second this idea
Thirded.

I'd rather this thread not exist quite yet.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:40 PM
  #18
Clip68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
That might be even worse than Benn + 1st.

There's too much pressure on Burke to get a big return for Kaberle to be worth trading for him. Like has been said, Van Ryn is a better target. On the trade board Toronto fans were asking for a 2nd + a 4th. To the OP: would you consider trading him, and would that be your price?
Agreed on the pressure on Burke, I think he may wait until the draft to trade him. As for Van Ryn, he is actually one guy that I could see the leafs keeping around for a while, but like everyone else he's expendable for the right price. A 2nd & a 4th is the right price, especially considering Toronto doesn't have a 2nd in '09. The 4th could also be swapped with a mid-level prospect (high risk, high reward), anyone fit the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Thirded.

I'd rather this thread not exist quite yet.
Sorry, just trying to show some love to your team. Definitely my sleeper pick this year from the West. Dallas plays so many quality teams well. Dallas vs San Jose, Detroit, and Colorado are always awesome games/series. Good luck going forward.

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 06:32 PM
  #19
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I'd be curious to see how that shook out per game. It seems to me that he's not the player against the Stars that he is against the rest of the NHL, or most teams, but perhaps that's because I always expect a player of his stature and skill to completely take over games against the rather diminutive Stars and he doesn't seem to.
Well for Thornton's career he averages a point per game against the Stars.
35 games 10 goals 26 assists +8
Full list
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...ts?year=career

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
  #20
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Without breaking out my dusty calculator and coming up with wrong numbers anyways, it appears Thornton versus Dallas is about middle of the pack to below, based on points per game. That would either strengthen my argument or make it a wash. Either way, roughly a point per game is pretty good.

Thanks for the link.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 09:34 PM
  #21
Dave Karp
Registered User
 
Dave Karp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I appreciate the love, but you are SEVERLY overvaluing Kaberle.
He's got a sweet contract and is a top pairing defencemen. I don't think that it was THAT bad of a trade. But I agree, I don't want to see Benn traded. However, if the Stars continue up the standings, I wouldn't mind dealing the 1st rounder and an energy/fringe player for him but I doubt it would land him.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 05:45 PM
  #22
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Without breaking out my dusty calculator and coming up with wrong numbers anyways, it appears Thornton versus Dallas is about middle of the pack to below, based on points per game. That would either strengthen my argument or make it a wash. Either way, roughly a point per game is pretty good.

Thanks for the link.
I'd say its a wash, he has 812 points in 803 games. In general he's a point per game player

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
  #23
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I'd say its a wash, he has 812 points in 803 games. In general he's a point per game player
We could just go with he's awesome.

Really the only game I remember him being completely taken out was the last game of last season when all he wanted to do was fight Ott.

He did/does the same thing to Iginla.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
  #24
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
But Iginla versus Dallas slants much more into the Stars' favor. While Iginla is not quite a point per game player, 820 pts in 911 games, he's scored 20 points in 43 games versus Dallas.

Again, I guess I just assume players that are truly among the best in the game and have size to dominate the Stars who are smaller in stature than these guys. Heck, look at Doan.

Thanks for the original link to Thornton's stats. That's a neat statistical sheet available on Yahoo, but I fear it will occupy a good deal of my time for a while. So maybe no thanks, or something.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 06:39 PM
  #25
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
We could just go with he's awesome.

Really the only game I remember him being completely taken out was the last game of last season when all he wanted to do was fight Ott.

He did/does the same thing to Iginla.
I remember that game, I think RW wanted to make a statement before the playoffs

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.