HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 months ago

Old
02-05-2009, 08:43 AM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
4 months ago

I was going through some of the older threads from October. Some of them are a real interesting read considering how we feel about this team now.

This team may be something special

Voros vs Avery

and a long one which is a roller coaster ride --> Aaron Voros

And from HFBOARDS classics for fun...
Combined Thoughts of the Gomez/Drury Signings

Here is a link to Page 131 of the forums.---> There are some classics in this time frame.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
jniklast

hindsight is a funny thing...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

cute

02-05-2009, 09:54 AM
reckoner

my personal favorite was

Quote:
whatever drury/gomez/renney is doing in the locker room, it's working. they're playing with passion.

reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM
TomLaidlaw

I found a very rare thing, a thread where almost everyone on here was in agreement. Shame Sather didn't see this thread.......

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=338516

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
DontStepanMe

And then there is the same arguments about Prucha from over a year ago. Amazing what was said, and what is still being said.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=442680

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola

I got a little mixed feelings on the signings.

Gomez and Drury aren't Zetterberg and Datsyuk. They can't carry a team, with Z and Datsyuk for example thoose two alone are enough to make a team really solid. Gomez and Drury won't do that to a team, even if its backstopped by Lundqvist.

All in all, if it was up to me I would sign Gomez and Drury, but I am not dancing of joy over here in Sweden because we did. I am also pretty nervous about next season. I don't really like all the changes, continuity is really important, now we have to start over again with everything, PP, PK, 1st line and 2nd line, while having a TON of pressure on us. Could be tough.
All in all, I can't say I've changed my mind much...

...if only Slats who get payed millions of dollars a season would have the same foresight!!!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I found a very rare thing, a thread where almost everyone on here was in agreement. Shame Sather didn't see this thread.......

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=338516
I was pushing hard for Boyes... I found one of my posts...
check it out

Quote:
Brad Boyes and Rask for Immonen and Montoya.
Boyes is cold, they just kicked him down to 3rd line. Hes a natural center. Playmaker. He's young, put him with Shanny what the hell.
Boston needs a name in the pipes in the future, I dont think Toivonen is that guy.
I dont think the "name" between the pipes holds any water, but that would have been a hell of a trade if it were to go down.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

And im so glad i didnt post in that first kool-aid thread.

Old
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Ah, my post from the first couple of months!

Quote:
"But we're still in first place!"
I can't wait to hear this after another horrible loss. Anyone that has had their eyes open this season noticed how this team was not playing well. They overachieved a huge amount at the start. After the first month, the effort ceased to come out on the ice.

Honestly, it seems like the only games we see now are:

1. OT/SO games
2. Rangers getting blown out
3. Rangers getting shut out

Sam - "Lundqvist, it's almost as if he's by himself"

But again, I guess since we are in first place, this team is actually playing great!

Drury - We know he hasn't had an ounce of offense this season besides the hat-trick against the Isles, but what happened to him defensively?

Redden - $6.5m for something we could get from Potter... Nice!

Gomez - If you are paying a playmaker $7m, atleast get him a damn scorer.

Let's not even mention the logjam of third liners that are on the team. Gee, should we play Dawes, Fritsche or Prucha tonight? Well, Prucha scored a goal and plays like there's a fire under his ass, so let's bench him!

This = sad
Looks like I speak the truth

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Ah, my post from the first couple of months!

Looks like I speak the truth
at least drury has found an ounce of offense, and some of his defensive game back (of course he's still paid twice what he should get)
but apart from that, yeah that's pretty much the sad truth

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
All in all, I can't say I've changed my mind much...

...if only Slats who get payed millions of dollars a season would have the same foresight!!!

Hrmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
We got Redden without paying top dollars, and we also managed to sign a 6 year deal without beeing paid top dollars.

Its a very good signing IMO and I am not worried about it at all.

In 6 years -- if the cap goes up about 2-3% per year for the comming 6 years; in proportions to todays cap Redden will be making less then 5m per in his final year. Thats not bad for a top 3 vet D on your team.

If Lidas, Pronger, S. Niedermayer and co would hit the open market they would without any doubt get 10m per, we paid Redden 6.5m per. We didn't pay him top dollars. We even paid him less then what Campbell and co got.

Nah thats once move this offseason thats very safe.
Looks like everyone's foresight takes a hit now and then.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=537890

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Garfinkel1

hahah the last sentance is dead on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I'm sorry, I know everyone's running off parading here, but I just don't like it.

We now have Gomez @ 7 years and Drury @ 5 years. This basically makes these two untradedable. Drury at the very least won't be tradeable for a couple of years. Then our 3rd center is Cullen @ 3 years and Betts @ 2 years.

Unless Sather is planning on trading Betts or Cullen then Dubinsky & Anisimov are doomed to the AHL or at the very least being traded. Other than that if they do make the NHL they're going to be stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I know at this point it seems like we're going with the all or nothing strategy and I guess Sather figured try to lure them in any way possible and if necessary once Jagr retires, we can pull a Yashin and buy them out.

Of course, if we win the cup in the next two years I take back everything I said here, but if not, we're kinda screwed for the future because any young centers in the system aren't going to get a good chance to develop... unless the coaches and staff don't see anything more than 3rd and 4th line material out of Dubinsky & Anisimov.

I just hope that Drury's numbers weren't inflated because of the team he was on and I hope that Gomez doesn't pull a Holik on us.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Fletch

ouch...

funny reading some of those things. I'm not one to go back and say if I was right or wrong, but I will say that reading my old posts reminds me how tough it is posting as my English is often pretty horrible. I want to go back and edit some of those posts for grammar.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
funny reading some of those things. I'm not one to go back and say if I was right or wrong, but I will say that reading my old posts reminds me how tough it is posting as my English is often pretty horrible. I want to go back and edit some of those posts for grammar.
Don't worry you sound fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
I don't know if I'm ready to use the "S" word yet, but we have been building some momentum ever since the lockout ended and I think people are definitely getting the sense that the Rangers could be for real: As in Perrenial Playoff Contenders, with a legitimate shot at The Cup in the not distant future.

We are turing into the islanders/devils worse nightmare, and I'm not trying to be funny there. If the Rangers are consistently good, real good, year after year, those teams are going to suffer in attendance and general popularity.

The islanders are hurting big-time and are a long way from coming back into anything that resembles contention. They will lose future fan-base from within as youngsters will be naturally drawn to the Rangers young stars ala Staal, Girardi, Lundquist, Zherdev etc. The possiblity of losing the franchise is not far-fetched.

The devils' star is waning and they are going to have big problems with attendance if/when Marty retires or can simply no longer maintain his HOF performance. If they have 2-3 losing seasons, they will need the ICU to keep them alive.

Frankly I'd hate to see either one go, but I want the Rangers to win: year after year after year after year after year.............
The toughest part of seeing this is seeing how great the Devils are doing without Brodeur.

Last edited by Hockify: 02-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I was totally against it...

Looking back, I wonder if Petr Nedved would have made a difference on this squad.

Old
02-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Looking back, I wonder if Petr Nedved would have made a difference on this squad.

HAhahhahahaha. I forgot about him.

Dam you. Now I am thinking about it.,

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote