HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the Current Coaches in the League

Old
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post
Well that was sort of my feelings. I really like what Carbs is doing and originally had him ranked at #5 but when a Habs fan came on and said Carbs in the top 10 was a joke I adjusted.

I do disagree on Wilson though. Look at the leafs team and tell me any other coach who could have them anything but dead last... though I am not sure if this is good or bad for leafs fans.
well, was more laughing at the fact that they both had him higher than Carbonneau. I mean, those same kinda Leafs fans were saying their D corp was top 5 in the east before the season started. I just find it particularly amusing that they put Carbo behind Wilson, when last year the Habs were slated to be at the bottom of the league and finished 1st in the conference, yet this season, the Leafs were also slated to finish dead last and well, they sure won't finish first in the conference. Anyway, it serves no purpose to debate this.

Carbs gets a lot of heat from Habs fans. But they should realize that he's only in his 3rd season as coach, in any league that is. They don't appreciate what he brings and don't realize that if he would've coached Junior like Julien and Boudreau, he'd probably be top 3 in the league. The Habs have a great coach for years to come, but like with our youth, we have to be patient with him.

But everyone knows that HFers know better than NHL coaches and GMs, especially those from Montreal....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
JVR or Bust
popcorn.gif

I swear half the posters just looked at the standings and slotted in their respective coaches to their corresponding postion.

How can Gretzky be a worse coach than Clouston? Are you kidding me? Claude Julien in the top three? Brent Sutter was positioned #1?

I thought I woke up with a hangover, but apparently I'm still drunk and must not have read any of these lists correctly.

JVR or Bust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossovert View Post
I dk, he dosen't seem to have much of a plan except get ovechkin on the ice, he seems more like a fat old bald guy tagging along for the ride
...Ah, I see it now. I should have read further before I posted. Boudreau sucks because he is old and fat and bald......You, I guess don't know anything about hockey. The Capitals run a pretty strict and targeted system. Its Andy Murray'esque, in fact.

And you just think its putting Ovechkin on the ice and letting the team run wild...

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I swear half the posters just looked at the standings and slotted in their respective coaches to their corresponding postion.

How can Gretzky be a worse coach than Clouston? Are you kidding me? Claude Julien in the top three? Brent Sutter was positioned #1?

I thought I woke up with a hangover, but apparently I'm still drunk and must not have read any of these lists correctly.
For sure thats the tough thing about it right... aruge that the coach is good even if he is on a bad team. I think its hard not to let the standings effect the rankings a bit.

Alot of posters did give props to Trotz who isnt on that good a team, same with Ruff etc.

Even a coach like Clouston is hard to figure out where they go when they walked into a real mess and have no back ground to go on in the NHL.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
AK

1. Babcock
2. Boudreau

30. Therrien.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
vcx*

I like how people realize Therrien sucks but then blame the players. It's been real fun being a Pens fan as of late.

1. Babcock
2. McLelland (sp? Sharks coach)
3. Boudreau
30. Michel Therrien

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
vcx*

Quote:
I dont know about that. Boudreau is coaching one of the better teams in the league. I know they have AO but before he got their they had a really bad team.

I agree with babcock and Trotz. Not so much McCellan because he got handed a Stanley Cup team and on the flip side Gordon has nothing to work with and has been okay.
Couldn't the same be said about Babock? He's basically reading off of "An Idiot's Guide to Coaching" By Scotty Bowman. As for Boudreau, does anyone see anything similar between him and Therrien? They come from the AHL, take over and suddenly the team they have starts to over achieve with a few stars on the team. Then the next year they are one of the top 4 teams in the East and people forget to mention that the players are now a year more experienced and better...

I will not be shocked if Boudreau is ranked top 5 for coaches this year, then bottom 5 in the next year or two.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
gsx capsfan

Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
Lets see here, the Caps have the 3rd most man games lost in the entire league, and yet they are 4th in the league.

Yea, Boudreau has no clue as to what he is doing.

gsx capsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
gsx capsfan

Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Couldn't the same be said about Babock? He's basically reading off of "An Idiot's Guide to Coaching" By Scotty Bowman. As for Boudreau, does anyone see anything similar between him and Therrien? They come from the AHL, take over and suddenly the team they have starts to over achieve with a few stars on the team. Then the next year they are one of the top 4 teams in the East and people forget to mention that the players are now a year more experienced and better...

I will not be shocked if Boudreau is ranked top 5 for coaches this year, then bottom 5 in the next year or two.
But, your not going to see Washington gutted like the Penguins were last off season. Were not going to trade away all of our leadership, spend all our money on a few players, and sign people who have no clue whats going on.

The Penguins issues are not just the coaches, but they go higher up. IE GM

gsx capsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
1. Babcock
2. Boudreau

30. Therrien.
Quote:
I like how people realize Therrien sucks but then blame the players. It's been real fun being a Pens fan as of late.

1. Babcock
2. McLelland (sp? Sharks coach)
3. Boudreau
30. Michel Therrien

Jeeze why is Therrien getting all the flak? Reminds me of the threatment Therrien, Julien, Vigneault and Carbs received in Montreal. Carbo finished first in conference in his sophomore year as a coach. Julien is arguably gonna finish first in the conference this season. Therrien took a really young team to the finals.

To me, blaming the coaches is just too easy and lazy. With Gonchar and Whitney injured for more than half the season, and with the changes done to the team, you jsut couldn't expect to finish top 5 in the east. And they might just bounce back. Also, Fleury isn't the greatess goalie I've seen, even with a good defense in front of him like last season, he's highly inconsistent. I just don't get all the heat Therrien is getting.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Therrien had NHL experience before coaching the Pens. Boudreau didn't. Also, like I've said before, the Pens problems isn't the coach. Losing your #1 dman will do that to any team. And Shero didn't make such smart moves either.

Old
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicMackey500 View Post
I think Trotz is the best coach in the league.
The playoffs have proven otherwise over the last 4 years

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeoffBrown View Post
He also coached a much less talented Mighty Ducks squad to the Stanley Cup finals.
Haha, this wasn't the kind of argument I was trying to make. For all we know, he could go straight to the Islanders and bring them to the S.Cup finals the in same year; but being with the Red Wings who have been a perennial powerhouse for a while now isn't hurting his status at all.

I'm just wondering how much that's being factored in here. That's all.

Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Why not just list the current standings?
exactly

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Why not just list the current standings?
Why not compare players based on standings then?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
The playoffs have proven otherwise over the last 4 years
keep in mind the talent level he deals with, but hes top 5 not 1 htough

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Rathmar

Quote:
I would say it should be more like you are hinting at BUT the Sharks did some nice moves in the offseason, mainly Dan Boyle who they surely needed coupled with the fact that Wilson has done a great job with the Leafs.

We are really splitting hairs and like I said my word isnt golden I just want to get the debate going.

Make a list and move him up, but who you moving down etc. Its a tricky debate and thats what I want to see get ironed out.
Point made, I was playing more of the obvious in Devil's Advocate. McLellan's tenure as Sharks Head Coach is going to be judged by his Spring coaching anyway, and ranking him too highly before then is a bit presumptuous.

Rathmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:

You'd have a point, if he had not coached a very mediocore Mighty Ducks team to one game from the Stanley Cup in '03 and succeeded at every coaching level he has been at - all before he ever even met Scotty Bowman.

And if the Scotty Bowman manual is so successful, where are Barry Smith and Dave Lewis at the moment? They should have a ton of Stanley Cups by now, between the two of them.

I would put Trotz very high on this list as well... and McLellan is WAY too high on some of these lists. I think he is going to be great, but you need to have at least one playoff under your belt as a head coach before you start showing up in top ten lists.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
And you just think its putting Ovechkin on the ice and letting the team run wild...
Well, when people don't understand what's going on when they're watching a hockey game, then you get statements like that. Its easier than trying to explain away the fact that they don't understand systems and how a coach utilizes them.

Same thing when people say "Green is horrible in his own end", because since they don't actually know what they're talking about, its simply much easier to repeat an old, worn out mantra.

I'm not a Caps fan, but saying that all Boudreau does is throw Ovechkin out on the ice, is as ******** as saying Green is horrible in his own end. But rest assured, you will continue to hear garbage like that from those who have no clue what they're talking about.

*shrugs*

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Well, when people don't understand what's going on when they're watching a hockey game, then you get statements like that. Its easier than trying to explain away the fact that they don't understand systems and how a coach utilizes them.

Same thing when people say "Green is horrible in his own end", because since they don't actually know what they're talking about, its simply much easier to repeat an old, worn out mantra.

I'm not a Caps fan, but saying that all Boudreau does is throw Ovechkin out on the ice, is as ******** as saying Green is horrible in his own end. But rest assured, you will continue to hear garbage like that from those who have no clue what they're talking about.

*shrugs*
Totally agree with you.

Although, no one can deny Ovy makes Boudreau's life that much easier. Still you need to be a great coach to really implant a system and make sure the chemistry sticks between the players, which is what he does.

I shrug and sigh a lot on these boards too....

Old
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
These lists are invalidated without Brent Sutter in the top-3...

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post

*shrugs*
Wow, people here just love boudreau, there are tons of coaches i believe to be better than him, now im automatically clueless? Look at how Babcock pushes his players and gets the most out of them, look at his record, it's obvious he's a great coach, all ive ever heard from boudreau is some *****ign that his players weren't in the all star game and that ovechkin wasn't a starter, he's as whiny as gretzky and therrien

Old
02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
These lists are invalidated without Brent Sutter in the top-3...
I think he's more of a 5 or 6 but he is growing on me as the season progresses, he is similar to julien because its a d first system, but when the time is right it allows the forwards to engage in some major offense

Old
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Vi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossovert View Post
Wow, people here just love boudreau, there are tons of coaches i believe to be better than him, now im automatically clueless? Look at how Babcock pushes his players and gets the most out of them, look at his record, it's obvious he's a great coach, all ive ever heard from boudreau is some *****ign that his players weren't in the all star game and that ovechkin wasn't a starter, he's as whiny as gretzky and therrien
No offense, but you were dubbed clueless because you are making claims that don't have much basis behind them. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you come off as clueless... well, that's on you.

People have high opinions of Boudreau not because someone just decided he was dandy but because he's produced results. He has taken a bottom-feeder team and turned them into a legit contender. He has great talent on his team, yes, but it's not that different than the team Hanlon failed miserably with for the first half of 2008. BB is the difference since then, and until he proves otherwise that makes him a coach a lot of people are going to approve off. If he starts to fail next year (which is entirely possible) there will be reason to think otherwise.

Until then... he's a good coach with good players.

Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi View Post
No offense, but you were dubbed clueless because you are making claims that don't have much basis behind them. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you come off as clueless... well, that's on you.

People have high opinions of Boudreau not because someone just decided he was dandy but because he's produced results. He has taken a bottom-feeder team and turned them into a legit contender. He has great talent on his team, yes, but it's not that different than the team Hanlon failed miserably with for the first half of 2008. BB is the difference since then, and until he proves otherwise that makes him a coach a lot of people are going to approve off. If he starts to fail next year (which is entirely possible) there will be reason to think otherwise.

Until then... he's a good coach with good players.
But people are over rating him, i realize i am under rating him but im trying to even out the glowing love for this guy which is a bit more than i think is needed, im not clueless, i have watched caps games, i have witnessed ovechkin on the power play all 2 minutes, i have made my point