HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the Current Coaches in the League

Old
02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post
Ok my friend instead of saying empty remarks make a list.

I would love to know who you think is so far out of whack that you say cluelss...
What are you basing your 'list' on? Current standings because it certainly looks like it.

If you seriously want to BEGIN to evaluate the current coaches in the league, one has to consider many things: longevity and success in the league long term. Playoff appearances. Playoff stats. Cups won. Other accolades. Their roster. Injuries they have dealt with and how their team manages them. How their team performs on a night to night basis. How much a coach gets out of his group, regardless of quality of roster. Do players typically excel and get better with him behind the bench or do they level off or get worse?

Trotz in the top 5? Why? Sure, he has done well with what he has had, but I don't recall a year when he hasn't had really good goaltending and a solid d core. His teams have never made it out of the first round.

Boudreau in the top 10? Sure, he turned that team around, but to me that is more a reflection on how bad Hanlon was then how good Boudreau is/was. That team is LOADED with talent--they have sucked for a long time in order to get that good. They still give up countless goals night in and night out and their pk is one of the worst among all playoff teams.

Stevens at 11th? Why? What has he won? They got to the 3rd round last year because the other two teams they faced had worse goaltending then them. His team often gets outshot and outchanced and NEVER look in control of a hockey game.

Gretzky at 18 ahead of Hitchock? Why? Because he has his team 'close' to the playoffs?

In fact the only guys you have below Hitchcock (a Stanley Cup, gold medal winning coach who has only missed the playoffs in 1 full season coach--has a 60% winning percentage spread over 12 years in the NHL) are a bunch of guys who are borderline NHL coaches and who have never been known to get much out of their teams.

Granato, Anderson, Tippett, Renney, Deboer, T. Murray, A. Murray, Wilson, Carbo, Stevens, Maclelland, Ruff, Sutter, Boudreau all ahead of Hitchcock? Wtf? What have these guys done as coaches in the league that he hasn't done.

A list would start with some combination of:

Lemaire, and Hitchcock followed by a combination of Babcock, Quenville and maybe Julien. The others would fit somewhere after that.

Even Babcock is a guy who has a loaded roster and gets more credit than he likely deserves, but he has won a cup and that isn't easy no matter who your roster is. When his team (both last year and this) experienced some injuries, they go in to a deep hole of losing.

Your list is thoughtless and has no regard for the reality of what some of these guys have, and haven't accomplished in their careers, and THAT is why I said what I said.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 03:06 PM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Stop putting Carlyle in the top 15. Maybe in the past he was one of the top coaches. After this season, not a chance in hell.
So he got dumb in a year?

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote