HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Visnovsky done for the year?

Old
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
TOML

vCash: 500
Visnovsky done for the year?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sport...003/story.html

An MRI Friday will determine the actual timeline, but radio reports say he's done for the year. Either way, he's out for a long, long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fj_P7nbvVg

Strange injury.

Gilbert will step it up, presumably.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

The Oilers look lost out there most nights. Obviously Greene and Stoll for Vis was good for both sides however Stoll is amazing in the faceoff circle and PK. Look where they are in both categories this year.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Spoke

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Teemu

I've watched it ten times and I still can't figure out how he injured it.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Washington Capitals

too bad for Oilers

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:12 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
I've watched it ten times and I still can't figure out how he injured it.
My guess is that the amount of times he's been left crumpled up on the ice after being hit this season have taken their toll. "Is this the one? Is this the one?" And then the final blow ended up being an odd-looking little tweak created by him.

imo Columbus fans should be the ones high-fiving each other after this event. They are pretty desperate to make the playoffs this season. Phoenix as well.

The Canucks should probably focus on their inevitable rebuild, but they'll try hard to drag Mats back into the playoffs.

Old
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
My guess is that the amount of times he's been left crumpled up on the ice after being hit this season have taken their toll. "Is this the one? Is this the one?" And then the final blow ended up being an odd-looking little tweak created by him.

imo Columbus fans should be the ones high-fiving each other after this event. They are pretty desperate to make the playoffs this season. Phoenix as well.

The Canucks should probably focus on their inevitable rebuild, but they'll try hard to drag Mats back into the playoffs.
Why rebuild? They still have Luongo and a ton of cap room this offseason, not holding on to long expensive contracts.

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
My guess is that the amount of times he's been left crumpled up on the ice after being hit this season have taken their toll.
Uh.. what?

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Uh.. what?
I'd say it's a fair point. I haven't watched too many Oiler games this season but when Visnovsky was in LA, there'd be a couple of times a season where he'd take a big hit and stay down for awhile and I always was amazed he'd get up and not be pretty seriously injured. Nothing against Lubo, he just seems to get hit a ton.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
I'd say it's a fair point. I haven't watched too many Oiler games this season but when Visnovsky was in LA, there'd be a couple of times a season where he'd take a big hit and stay down for awhile and I always was amazed he'd get up and not be pretty seriously injured. Nothing against Lubo, he just seems to get hit a ton.
Me too. I'd say 'ooooooh, that's gotta hurt!' and then he'd get up. But over and over again during a season, that's gotta take a toll on the body. I dunno, is there a better way to explain how he got a dislocated shoulder on such a nothing play?

Old
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I hope not. Everyone in LA still loves Lubo, I think we all wish him a speedy recovery.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Same always happened in LA.

How often he left the ice hurt are not countable on two hands. Nobody ever stood up for him. Just a shame to see.

He would definitely had more 55-65 points seasons if he could have stayed healthy.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

One of those times was in Edmonton after Moreau hit him somewhat late. They had to bring the stretcher out for him an everything.

Laperriere did fight Moreau right when Moreau left the penalty box though.

There were always a few times a year where he would be slow to go off and then go to the dressing room. You'd be watching and think "He'll be out for a month" and then he'd be back, be it a shot block or a hit taken.

He's definitely a tough little guy but the key word here is "little". I've always waited for the inevitable injury due to his small stature and willingness to absorb hits so, as unfortunate as it is, this is not terribly surprising.

Nevermind Stoll's play when talking about the trade, I'd do Visnovsky for Greene straight up last Summer if I knew Greene would develop so well. This trade should be a lesson to all of us Kings fans clamoring to trade Jack Johnson and other young players for "proven" talent.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Giggli G

Visnovsky has been hit hard maybe once this year.

Maybe it is the difference in systems...

Quote:
I'd do Visnovsky for Greene straight up last Summer if I knew Greene would develop so well.
If you would, you don't know much about hockey. Visnovsky has been a top-15 defenseman in the NHL this year. I am not sure that we can make the playoffs without him.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post

Maybe it is the difference in systems...

If you would, you don't know much about hockey. Visnovsky has been a top-15 defenseman in the NHL this year. I am not sure that we can make the playoffs without him.
Let's see...small, older player at $7mm a year for the next several through his 30's (and now injured although I won't count that against him) or a just-about-to-enter-his-prime big, tough defenseman who immediately earned the assistant captaincy and provides LA with a d-man they haven't had in forever while also signing a long extension that looks like it will be an absolute steal very soon.

The current Matt Greene is not your father's Matt Greene. Hopefully you saw the 1st intermission of the MTL/LA game when the analysts broke down how Komisarek plays like an idiot when going for hits while Greene just shuts it down and then punishes. The plays they showed of Greene from that first period have been par for the course all season long.

While you don't seem to understand how good Greene is at the moment, I fully understand how good Visnovsky is so you are in essence bringing a knife to a gunfight on this one.

Also, you need to factor in age,contract,intangibles and, most importantly, team needs. Calgary, for example, would take Vis over Greene because they have enough Greene-types. When I say I'd do Greene for Vis straight up, I am speaking from an LA viewpoint.

Just because you don't think Edmonton can make the playoffs without him doesn't make him more attractive than Greene and definitely does not make him a Top-15 defenseman in this league. I really like Vis and watch Edmonton games frequently so I can honestly say he hasn't been Top-15 since he signed that contract.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Same always happened in LA.

How often he left the ice hurt are not countable on two hands. Nobody ever stood up for him. Just a shame to see.

He would definitely had more 55-65 points seasons if he could have stayed healthy.
Well, when Rob Blake is your partner you can't expect much in the way of support.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Wow, that sucks. I love Visnovksy and hope him a speedy recovery.

BTW, not all Kings fans are not of the same opinion. I still hate that trade. Greene has become a much, much better defenseman than he was in EDM, but certainly not to the point he is as good as Vis, not even close. But I am impressed at how far he has come though.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Oh man... Lubo...

that is so bad...

hopefully he comes back as soon as he can

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
jcbio11

Well this sucks. Wish him a speedy recovery.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

My hockey pool serious injuries this year :

Luongo, Brodeur, Morrow, Visnovsky, Kariya.

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post

no he's taken quite a few licks as an oiler. Just the way he plays the game, he's not afraid to take a hit to make a play, and he does get cranked a lot of times because of it.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Wheatking

It sounds like he should be back right after the trade deadline...assuming everything goes according to plan.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
It sounds like he should be back right after the trade deadline...assuming everything goes according to plan.
hopefully.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
My hockey pool serious injuries this year :

Luongo, Brodeur, Morrow, Visnovsky, Kariya.
thats so brutal

I have Lubo in my pool too.

Edit: I just saw that he's done for the year , per TEAM 1260. Great.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
But the original statement was "this" season. I can only remember one hit where Visnovsky was down and that was when he got plastered from behind in Nashville.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote