HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

With Mitch and JR coming back, who sits?

View Poll Results: If Mitchell and JR are in, who sits? (Select 2)
Shelley 44 49.44%
Plihal 60 67.42%
Cheechoo 3 3.37%
Goc 14 15.73%
Grier 1 1.12%
Lemieux 40 44.94%
Someone else 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
With Mitch and JR coming back, who sits?

With Mitchell and JR scheduled to return, 2 forwards will be out of the present lineup. There are arguments to be made for several and off the top of my head, I'd say in no partucular order, Plihal, Lemieux, Shelley, Cheechoo, and Goc would all be considerations, while Grier is safe. The most obvious reductions might be Lemieux because JR handles part of that role anyway, and Plihal. But I can also make an argument for letting Goc sit since Mitchell can be a PK'er extraordinare and is a center possible making Goc redundant. And what would an energy line that was made of Mitchell, JR, and LeMieux be like...... yes .... besides old and maybe brittle.

I suspect the next several games will have some of the lower 2 line's players, playing as if their jobs depended on their effort - because they do.

Remembering that we are looking for ingredients, an energy line and scoring depth ... which players do you sit and who do you play when Mitchell and JR are both ready to go?

02-05-2009, 01:53 PM
SharksAddict

I'm not convinced Mitchell will make it back this year. It's hard to expect him to come back and make an impact when he has been out all year from a serious injury and suffered a set back along the way.

With that said, Shelley would be my first choice to sit. I really don't feel like we need an enforcer so long as guys like Murray, Clowe, Blake, Lemieux, Grier, etc are around. The Red Wings have a total of 7 fighting majors for the entire season up to this point.

Goc will stick around because he is a good face-off guy and he seems to be a coach's player. Grier is definitely safe, same goes for Cheech just because of what he has done for this organization in the past. So really to me it comes down to Plihal vs. Lemieux. Offense vs. grittiness? Grittiness wins because we are talking about a 3rd/4th line role.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I am not sure, at this point I think that Goc would move to the 4th line with Mitchell taking his spot on the 3rd. This would probably put Plihal in the press box.

I would also think that JR comes in and puts Lemieux in the box (sorry Scarface).

Good question though, like you said I would assume that the next couple games shows some of those players you mentioned playing like their jobs depend on it

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Lars Bjorn

We've only seen a little of JR and Claude so far this year, however, looking only at this year, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Claude. Shelley and Plihal split time sitting depending on who we face, and assuming Torrey comes back strong at some point.

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
How had lemieux looked?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Admiral*

Plihal and Lemieux easily. Followed by Goc.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
General McLellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
I'm not convinced Mitchell will make it back this year. It's hard to expect him to come back and make an impact when he has been out all year from a serious injury and suffered a set back along the way.
I wouldn't rule out Mitchell. Clowe came back last year after missing most of the games and had a great playoff run. Mitchell will be so hungry once he gets healthy i don't know if i'd sit him.

General McLellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
How had lemieux looked?
He hasn't looked that bad. He has some shots and has thrown some pretty solid hits.

The only thing I have noticed with him is he takes wide turns and it seems the system is still new.

Old
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Mr Scarface*

Ahh, this gon be easy... if and when and there's not one situation coming this season, when all of our suckas are healthy at the same. But if that happens like for a game or two, then Shelley and Plihal are gone. Plihal makes mistakes with the puck sometimes, he ain't got any special skillz at all, Shelley makes mistakes, he's brain isn't that smart for hockey. Shelley can fight but that's that, no special skillz. Lemieux stays. He stays. This is the season for us mane. He has something special. He doesn't make mistakes. Also he hist more accurate hits than Shelley or Plihal. He can score more also, if given that 11 min game time. Shelley can't score. Lemieux has more skill and SURPRSISING moves and elements than Plihal and Shelley have. What he has done in the past is proof enough, but this season too. I've seen moves Plihal can't ever make. Wisdon, an exceptional talent and player.

It would be stupid to scratch Lemieux, cause other players are doing mistakes. Lemieux doesn't. He's seen so much life and hockey, he's wiser than any other sucka in our team.

But yeah, Michell might never come back and some of our bustas will get injured at the time JR returns. So I ain't worried at all. I'm seeing Lemieuxs all the time mane. All the time. We can't win without him, so others will get injured, so Lemieux can play. That's some ice cold s*** right there mane.

Also, I think Goc can offer something special to our game, like faceoffs, PK skillz and some very wise decisions with the puck, unlike Shelley and Plihal monkeys can offer.

Like some of y'all said already, we don't even need enforcer. Detroit doesn't need any fighters, McLellan is Detroit. McLellan has that Detroit blood running in his veins. He ain't worried, he'll put Shelley out like that! Snap! I'm snappin my fingaz all the time mane! We need wisdom though, wise decisions. So Lemieux stays. He'll win the Cup for us.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
skilletboy*

I think it will be fluid and determined then... Goc would normally be my choice by he is making it really hard for the team to send him down. He is frickin' 6th in the NHL in faceoffs and thats big for Tmac...

But... I really don't think Mitchell is coming back this year and I think it will be March by the time JR comes back. Alot can and will happen between now and then.

skilletboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Anthony*

they will rotate in and out like always...

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

Cheech - Mitchell - Grier
Roenick - Goc - Lemieux

Plihal and Shelley sit out. But I would have no problem with a rotation system. On some days, where we don't need physicality, we could even have a Plihal - Goc - Roenick line.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Plihal, with Shelley and Lemieux splittin duties.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Plihal, with Shelley and Lemieux splittin duties.
I think rotating the three of them depending on the needs of the upcoming game makes the most sense.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Slipstar

a Roenick - Goc - Lemieux line is Caraaaaazy!

I'd want all three mic'd up all the time for the zany antics.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

Plihal and Goc. Sissy euros.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Chucknorrislovesyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post

Haha imagine if those two where in their prime still.

Chucknorrislovesyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM
CHALUPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post

I'm thinking of a Shelley - Roenick - Lemieux line. THAT is the definition of a high energy line right there.

I wouldn't have a problem rotating Lemiuex, Plihal, Shelley, and/or Goc around. Since we're talking about 4th line here, I think Shelley and Lemieux should play. Losing Goc's faceoffs and Plihal/Goc's PKing might hurt a bit, but I'd like to see a game or two where we don't have them, to see if it really makes that big a difference.

Can you imagine the forecheck of Shelley - Roenick - Lemieux? I wouldn't want to be out on the ice when they are...

CHALUPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

The 4th line center spot is Goc's to lose imho. It's hard to sit a FO% like his, even if other parts of his game could be better. Expect if he slumps though that a Plihal will be quickly put in. I think the wingers will be a rotation of Shelley/Lemiuex/Roenick/Plihal.

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:50 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by csims View Post
I wouldn't rule out Mitchell. Clowe came back last year after missing most of the games and had a great playoff run. Mitchell will be so hungry once he gets healthy i don't know if i'd sit him.
I'm not ruling him out I just think it would be a big mistake to count on him making any significant contribution this season.

Old
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
fr4ed2384

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
The 4th line center spot is Goc's to lose imho. It's hard to sit a FO% like his, even if other parts of his game could be better. Expect if he slumps though that a Plihal will be quickly put in. I think the wingers will be a rotation of Shelley/Lemiuex/Roenick/Plihal.
I think the 3rd line center position is Goc's to Lose.

When Mitchell comes back he will not be in game shape to play 10 Min / game yet and he will have to earn his minutes same as anyone.. and there is not a lot of difference between the two players -- they have different strengths and weaknesses but Goc has played well the last couple of months -- and I could see TM playing either of them in 3rd/4th line C depending on the situation.

JR and Lemieux , i expect , will not play every game -- and when they do play I also can see the coaches spelling them onto the 2nd / 3rd lines to get an energy boost or change the feel and rest a top 9 wing as well

I know it's Canadian but some of us should practice spelling Lemieux -- I know it's a tough 7 letters ..

fr4ed2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:15 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4ed2384 View Post
I think the 3rd line center position is Goc's to Lose.

When Mitchell comes back he will not be in game shape to play 10 Min / game yet and he will have to earn his minutes same as anyone.. and there is not a lot of difference between the two players -- they have different strengths and weaknesses but Goc has played well the last couple of months
Tell me you are joking. Mitchell is so much more talented offensively. Goc is strictly a defensive forward and faceoff guy.

Old
02-05-2009, 09:20 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
Tell me you are joking. Mitchell is so much more talented offensively. Goc is strictly a defensive forward and faceoff guy.
Goc is actually very good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone. I don't disagree that Mitchell is more offensively talented, but I think that Goc does have some offense.

Old
02-05-2009, 09:51 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm going to shake it up a little and suggest that its Plihal and Cheechoo who sit. Plihal is the easy one. Cheechoo hasn't been a strong defensive player, hasn't found a rhythm on offense, doesn't play on special teams ...... he's redundant for JR when you talk about someone who can play lower and upper minutes. And JR is a better skater, is more physical at the right time, and brings more energy.

I would be tempted to say its Goc who sits and is replaced with Mitchell, but he is playing an OK role on the team right now and has been consistent on the PK and can play a wing (not very well though). Plus, Mitchell is a better penalty killer than Goc IMO.

Shelley I personally think is needed but I know I'll get a debate.

We don't have anyone who can replace Lemieux's pest potential and I don't think he will be dropped at this stage. In the P/O's we will see less of Shelley though so maybe more room for some of the other ones we talk about.

So .... my lines w/b:

JR-Mitchell-Lemieux
Shelley-Goc-Grier

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I'm going to shake it up a little and suggest that its Plihal and Cheechoo who sit. Plihal is the easy one. Cheechoo hasn't been a strong defensive player, hasn't found a rhythm on offense, doesn't play on special teams ...... he's redundant for JR when you talk about someone who can play lower and upper minutes. And JR is a better skater, is more physical at the right time, and brings more energy.

I would be tempted to say its Goc who sits and is replaced with Mitchell, but he is playing an OK role on the team right now and has been consistent on the PK and can play a wing (not very well though). Plus, Mitchell is a better penalty killer than Goc IMO.

Shelley I personally think is needed but I know I'll get a debate.

We don't have anyone who can replace Lemieux's pest potential and I don't think he will be dropped at this stage. In the P/O's we will see less of Shelley though so maybe more room for some of the other ones we talk about.

So .... my lines w/b:

JR-Mitchell-Lemieux
Shelley-Goc-Grier
I think Cheechoo read this post because so far the third line has been all over the place tonight.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote