HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

With Mitch and JR coming back, who sits?

View Poll Results: If Mitchell and JR are in, who sits? (Select 2)
Shelley 44 49.44%
Plihal 60 67.42%
Cheechoo 3 3.37%
Goc 14 15.73%
Grier 1 1.12%
Lemieux 40 44.94%
Someone else 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I don't disagree with you on Grier over Goc in scoring, but I'm saying Goc is not the reason that line is not scoring much.

As for Mitchell, last year he was much more of a scorer than a passer, which is why I see him as no help to improving Cheechoo's offense than Goc is. On the other hand, his speed and forechecking ability complement Goc's quite well, and Mitchell did show a talent for scoring goals last season. Less so setting them up. Especially the type of precision passes that a guy like Cheechoo needs to excel with. Cheechoo will get much more of that sort of passing from Roenick and Plihal honestly than he will with Goc and Mitchell (in my opinion, sure to be disagreed with).
Goc might not be THE reason they are not scoring, but I think he is contributing to the problem because:
1) he has an inaccurate shot
2) his passing problems I talked about earlier

Yah I remember Mitchell being a lot more north south with speed and forecheck. I don't think Roenick is good enough defensively for the 3rd line shutdown role if the Todd continues to give the 3rd line significantly more minutes than the 4th line.

Oh well, let's wait for Mitchell and Roenick to come back.

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Interesting. Are you suggesting the following fully healthy lineup?

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Mitchell-Goc-Grier
Plihal-Roenick-Cheechoo

Plihal is spelled by Shelley and Lemieux on a game by game basis.
That could work, I only worry about the defense on that 4th line, but it's worth trying for a while.

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Mitchell-Goc-Grier
Plihal-Roenick-Cheechoo

Yes, that is exactly the line-up I am suggesting. At least for this season, and assuming no injuries. I really liked McGinn's hustlle and play when he was up and think he would be great on the 3rd line next year.

EDIT: And you might have Plihal replacing JR as the center on that 4th line if JR is feeling his age or is banged up a bit. But I do think Cheechoo is much more effective on the right than the left (where he has been), and I do think JR is a much better passer than either Goc, Mitchell, or Plihal are.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
thrillhous

What are the chances Cheech gets moved at the deadline? Seems to me that you could get something quite decent in return.

Or does Clowe being RFA make this unlikely?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
What are the chances Cheech gets moved at the deadline? Seems to me that you could get something quite decent in return.

Or does Clowe being RFA make this unlikely?
I think unless DW sign's Clowe to an extension before the deadline, there is no way Cheechoo is being moved. And even then, I'm not sure he'll be moved before the offseason just to have insurance against an injury to the top 6.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
thrillhous

With his contract being what it is I guess that would be the smart thing to do.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Quote:

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Mitchell-Goc-Grier
Plihal-Roenick-Cheechoo

I really like this line-up for the regular season, as long as TM starts spreading the ES minutes more evenly between the 3rd and 4th lines. Obviously the 3rd will continue to get more minutes overall because of the PK. Once the playoffs hit Plihal can drop to the 13th forward in place of Lemieux.

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
I really like this line-up for the regular season, as long as TM starts spreading the ES minutes more evenly between the 3rd and 4th lines. Obviously the 3rd will continue to get more minutes overall because of the PK. Once the playoffs hit Plihal can drop to the 13th forward in place of Lemieux.
With everyone healthy and 100%, TM could spread ES minutes more evenly among lines 3 and 4. Can't with Shelley there because of his limited ice time and time in the penalty box.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Cheech - Mitchell - Grier
Roenick - Goc - Lemieux

Plihal and Shelley sit out. But I would have no problem with a rotation system. On some days, where we don't need physicality, we could even have a Plihal - Goc - Roenick line.

I completely agree with this line up here. Goc centers the 4th line - Mitchell centers the 3rd. Goc and Roenick I think is a nice pairing. Maybe Mitchell can get Cheecho going again.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
JimWalsh1

Quote:

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Mitchell-Goc-Grier
Plihal-Roenick-Cheechoo

One thing I dont know if anyone has mentioned is that we have no guarantees Mitchell will return with anywhere near the same speed he displayed last season. By next year he should be ok, but I doubt if he'll have the same speed right now. It was a different situation when Clowe came back last year - his game is built around power and banging in front (a style which is usually played in the playoffs anyway), but the (potentially missing) speed is Mitchell's prime asset ...

JimWalsh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWalsh1 View Post
One thing I dont know if anyone has mentioned is that we have no guarantees Mitchell will return with anywhere near the same speed he displayed last season. By next year he should be ok, but I doubt if he'll have the same speed right now. It was a different situation when Clowe came back last year - his game is built around power and banging in front (a style which is usually played in the playoffs anyway), but the (potentially missing) speed is Mitchell's prime asset ...
There is no doubt that Mitch will need to get back into shape and may not be at full speed this year. For purposes of the discussion, we have to presume that he earns a spot on the top 4 lines. Without that presumption, he replaced nobody and the OP doesn't make sense.

BTW, I thought Lemieux had a better game in Pitts and Boston and that he played better with the faster younger players on his line. He certainly isn't embarrassing himself but I would like to see him deliver on the pest piece of his game.

02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
BTW, I thought Lemieux had a better game in Pitts and Boston and that he played better with the faster younger players on his line. He certainly isn't embarrassing himself but I would like to see him deliver on the pest piece of his game.
I don't think he'll show to much of that side (being a pest) before the playoffs. During the regular season, he seems to try to find his game and stay healthy, the rest he'll show when it counts most. He probably doesn't want to risk injuries right now.

Strizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Gilligans Island

Only 1 game so, I know, and against the Thrashers but I thought JR & Pepe showed some nice chemistry together as did JR & Cheechoo

So, as others have said, I'd like this line up for the playoffs:

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Plihal-Mitchell (or Goc)-Grier
Lemieux-Roenick-Cheechoo

If we need to add Shelley (against Calgary or Anaheim), then go w/:

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Cheechoo-Mitchell (or Goc)-Grier
Lemieux-Roenick-Shelley

Man, we really are stacked when/if everyone is healthy. Less than 2 months to go...

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Mr Scarface*

This is just so clear. Everything is to me, life is, this is a place for us. But when and IF Mitchell comes back, Plihal is the man who gets sent down. Clearly. They play a very same type of game. PK-killas, centers, Plihal is just slower and worse in every way really.

Shelley could sit some too, if they wanna keep Plihal. I wouldn't mind seeing our papasmurf, the real Thug Lord sitting a couple games BEFORE the playoffs. Though he's playing only like 7 minutes in a game, he ain't tired at all I mean. But if they wanna sit Lemieux like 2 games at some point, it's all good. But he has to be there when we start playing those IMPORTANT games. Then Plihal or Shelley should be out for sure. And When Goc is back, Plihal and Shelley should both be out, when playoff time of course that is. Goc and Mitchell play Plihal's game better than Plihal.

Last edited by Mr Scarface*: 02-22-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:53 PM
ThorntonFan19

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe
Grier-Mitchell-Cheechoo
Lemieux/Shelley-Roenick-Goc/Plihal

Lukowich-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Murray-Ehrhoff