HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Two Proposals: PHX and NYI as well as PHX and PIT...

Old
02-05-2009, 02:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Two Proposals: PHX and NYI as well as PHX and PIT...

To NYI:
Nick Ross

To PHX:
Doug Weight
--------------
To PIT:
Enver Lisin
David Hale

To PHX:
Alex Goligoski
--------------

Nick Ross was our second first round pick, two drafts ago. We took Turris early in the first, and Ross later in the same round. He's a WHL defenseman. A two-way defender with good size and mobility. He puts up points and likes to hit. Just recently traded to the Vancouver Giants, he has put up ten points in thirteen games there. He seems to be developing quite nicely. Just recently taken in the first round, I would think he's only increased in value, as he is closer to the NHL now, than he was at that point. I consider him a very good prospect. Probably equal in value to a mid first rounder in this year's draft.

All of the other players in the proposals shouldn't require introduction. Most know the story on Lisin, and Goligoski. All of us know Doug Weight. David Hale, is just a reserve defenseman, included only to make room for Goligoski. The Coyotes simply can't afford to carry eight defenseman, and Hale being on a one way makes it entirely out of the question for Phoenix to send him down. A team on the edge of financial ruin cannot afford the luxury of paying a guy in the AHL an NHL salary. It won't happen. The Penguins should have a spot for him, with Goligoski heading to Phoenix.

Last edited by rt: 02-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

It looks oddly familiar. I like both deals. You are godly amoungst trade proposers.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:31 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I have a slight man-crush on Lisin, so as a Pens fan I'd do it. Maybe throw in a mid-round draft pick coming to Pittsburgh?

Good value though, imo.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
indczn

I don't really see the point with the first trade. We shouldn't be overly worried about the results this year, and I wouldnt want to trade a young kid for an old guy especially with our thin defense.

The 2nd, Im not sold on Goligoski, but getting rid of hale is a priority. Not thrilled getting rid of Lisin either since we have a shortage on natural wingers right now. The value is probably pretty good though.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
jntn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
To NYI:
Nick Ross

To PHX:
Doug Weight
As a fan of the Islanders I'm interested in getting Nick Ross. He seems like a decent prospect and Islanders lack good defensemen in their prospect pool, specially ones with decent size who play physical. The proposal certainly is fair, but Islanders may ask for a mid round draftpick aswell. Don't think Weight will (want to) get traded though.

jntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntn View Post
As a fan of the Islanders I'm interested in getting Nick Ross. He seems like a decent prospect and Islanders lack good defensemen in their prospect pool, specially ones with decent size who play physical. The proposal certainly is fair, but Islanders may ask for a mid round draftpick aswell. Don't think Weight will (want to) get traded though.
While it doesn't seem like much why would a mid-round pick need to be included? You think you'd get more than a 1st for Weight at this point in his career?

Old
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
I don't really see the point with the first trade. We shouldn't be overly worried about the results this year...
Really? I would think that in our financial situation, making the playoffs would be an absolulte godsend. All of the revenue is would generate, with no player payroll, not to mention the increased fan interest in a team that is finally winning. As opposed to what yet another losing season, and another total meltdown at the end of the year would result in, attendance-wise. Plus, we're looking for someone who wants to buy this team and keep it in Glendale. I'm thinking it would be much easier to find a person interested in a winning team, with a local buzz than a losing team, that's a total black sheep, locally. To me, there should be plenty of worry concerning the outcome of this season.

Old
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntn View Post
That reminds me of something I should've mentioned. I doubt the Coyotes would have much interest in re-signing Weight. They'd probably just stick with the more familiar, younger, and likely much cheaper Reinpecht. That, or let both walk. In my mind, as part of the proposal, Phoenix could agree to let Weight walk as a UFA. We'll could even throw in negotiation rights. The Isles are free to negotiate with Weight just as soon as their season is over, and as soon as the league will allow it.

Old
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Another thing I should mention is that these proposal are for RIGHT NOW, and not for the deadline. Phoenix is in a tailspin, at the moment, and the primary reason, without a doubt, is our power play. Weight and Goligoski are meant to resuscitate our seized up man advantage, and before we totally blow our chances at the post season.

Old
02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
JTG

Quote:
To NYI:
Nick Ross

To PHX:
Doug Weight
Every day I'm hustlin'

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
kmillzy5

To PIT:
Enver Lisin
David Hale

To PHX:
Alex Goligoski

YES! i like it!. Pittsburgh would need to throw in a mid-round pick though.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Every day I'm hustlin'
Does this have a meaning of some kind. Are you implying one of the two teams is being hustled by the other? Which?

Old
02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno12 View Post
To PIT:
Enver Lisin
David Hale

To PHX:
Alex Goligoski

YES! i like it!. Pittsburgh would need to throw in a mid-round pick though.
I think PHX would since we're talking Hale off of their hands.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I'm going to guess Doug Weight is not an option for Phoenix.

His cap hit is $4.3m, but that breaks down to $1.75m salary and $2.55m in bonus clauses.

I think it's impossible he's met any of the bonus triggers yet, but they are probably all still achievable. If he were to trigger those conditions after being traded to Phoenix I believe the Coyotes would be fully on the hook for the bonus payments.

Meaning Phoenix could potentially be on the hook for over $3mil in payroll for Weight if they acquired him now. (he could have a payroll hit higher than his cap value for the team he's traded to)

edit: Thinking a bit further, it looks like Phoenix is going to be getting extra $ back from the NHL when(if) the player escrow refund triggers hard at the end of the season. Adding Weight's contract right now would cause the team to lose about $1.5m of that refund, meaning adding Weight could potentially have a bottom line cost of over $4.5m to Phoenix for just playing 1/3rd of the season. Wow.

Last edited by mouser: 02-05-2009 at 03:43 PM.
mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:39 PM
azntam

if pens do this deal, i hope they waive hale and hope someone claims cz I don't think we need him. Also they should look at an upgrade from gill/eaton if they want to make a run at the playoffs, they are absolutely brutal

azntam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I'm going to guess Doug Weight is not an option for Phoenix.

His cap hit is $4.3m, but that breaks down to $1.75m salary and $2.55m in bonus clauses.

I think it's impossible he's met any of the bonus triggers yet, but they are probably all still achievable. If he were to trigger those conditions after being traded to Phoenix I believe the Coyotes would be fully on the hook for the bonus payments.

Meaning Phoenix could potentially be on the hook for over $3mil in payroll for Weight if they acquired him now. (he could have a payroll hit higher than his cap value for the team he's traded to)

edit: Thinking a bit further, it looks like Phoenix is going to be getting extra $ back from the NHL when(if) the player escrow refund triggers hard at the end of the season. Adding Weight's contract right now would cause the team to lose about $1.5m of that refund, meaning adding Weight could potentially have a bottom line cost of over $4.5m to Phoenix for just playing 1/3rd of the season. Wow.
I don't understand any of this, but if it is the case, than we can just go ahead and forget about it. I only considered Weight because his actual salary is so low. I didn't know about the bonuses. I still don't get the refund part, but whatever. The bonuses part is enough to make it a no go.

Old
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
indczn

How exactly is Dougy an upgrade on anything we have? He's not exactly an offensive juggernaut on the powerplay. 5minutes/game and 5 whole pp goals. Him and Streit are anchoring an equally inept powerplay for the Islanders. Don't see him doing anything to fix ours. Also, hes a center. We have lots of those.

As for making the playoffs, well obviously making them would be a good thing financially. I'm just not in the mood for selling off young kids with potential for redundant players for the short term. The coyotes window is the next 2-3 years. Not this one. Trading young kids for pieces that won't be around then is stupid whether we make the playoffs to get swept or not.

I'm confident enough that the coyotes will be here next year.

As for goligoski, I don't see where he fits or how hes an upgrade over Yandle. I don't like our defensive pairings if hes in the lineup.

If we want to run for the playoffs, acquiring a scoring winger/pp guy would be better, and one that will be here in 2 years when we will be contending. I'm glad you want to improved the team, but these guys aren't worth it.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
How exactly is Dougy an upgrade on anything we have? He's not exactly an offensive juggernaut on the powerplay. 5minutes/game and 5 whole pp goals. Him and Streit are anchoring an equally inept powerplay for the Islanders. Don't see him doing anything to fix ours. Also, hes a center. We have lots of those.

As for making the playoffs, well obviously making them would be a good thing financially. I'm just not in the mood for selling off young kids with potential for redundant players for the short term. The coyotes window is the next 2-3 years. Not this one. Trading young kids for pieces that won't be around then is stupid whether we make the playoffs to get swept or not.

I'm confident enough that the coyotes will be here next year.

As for goligoski, I don't see where he fits or how hes an upgrade over Yandle. I don't like our defensive pairings if hes in the lineup.

If we want to run for the playoffs, acquiring a scoring winger/pp guy would be better, and one that will be here in 2 years when we will be contending. I'm glad you want to improved the team, but these guys aren't worth it.
There is much here I strongly disagree with, but thanks to Mouser and his knowledge, I'm not really interested in burning any more calories on this.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth everybody.

Old
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
JTG

Quote:
Does this have a meaning of some kind. Are you implying one of the two teams is being hustled by the other? Which?

Old
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
JTG

I would take the Pittsburgh deal.

Old
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

That's a very good Islander deal. Shows exactly what both teams need. I'd take that

EDIT: If the Coyotes actually don't need Weight, as mouser mentioned, would you take any interest in Comrie or Witt for Ross? Witt would cost you a little more than Weight since he is signed long-term.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
That's a very good Islander deal. Shows exactly what both teams need. I'd take that

EDIT: If the Coyotes actually don't need Weight, as mouser mentioned, would you take any interest in Comrie or Witt for Ross? Witt would cost you a little more than Weight since he is signed long-term.
I don't want Comrie. We've already played that square dance. Witt, maybe.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:25 PM
AK

Good, realistic proposals RT.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

The Pens proposal is pretty good. Phx would proably have to add a middle rounder because Gogo has the about the same stats as Lisin as a defenseman.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
The Pens proposal is pretty good. Phx would proably have to add a middle rounder because Gogo has the about the same stats as Lisin as a defenseman.
....but, but, but...they already added Hale.