HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

grade your team's coach...

Old
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
I wouldnt give Stevens a D as we do have winning record and he is improving. But I would give him a C-. Its sucks to know that the talent that we have will never be realized because of the coach. Either we are an early bust for a few years and get a new coach, or we reach the 2nd 3rd round based off skill and no system. Either way sucks....Imagine the Flyers talent on a team like the Devils or the Bruins. WE NEED AN FING SYSTEM!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Margolis View Post
how is babcock not a A+++
i think the wings are where they were expected to be, but they have moments when they appear to coast, and that defense has major holes and the goaltending is not as strong as it was last season...

they rely on their superior offensive talent a lot of nights...

babcock gets them to work hard though and some teams coaches don't do that

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Stevens should get a D. He's got massive amounts of talent and has not put it to use.
perhaps, but briere has been out much of season and their start was lousy and he rallied the team and their defense has had challenges

Old
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
"17. nashville, trotz - C"

ummmmm find me someone whos done more over the last 4 years with less then anyone else? trotz has been the most under rated coach and u help prove that... look how good the preds were in the last 4 years and barly spending over the cap...
couldn't agree with you more, i like barry trotz but has their saviour really been pekka rinne (13-8, 2.27, 4SO, .920%)?

Old
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Wilson B- considering the kind of talent we have. Probably the only team in the league without star line talent.
i thought that was the islanders if you listened to some people

Old
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM
captain AARON MAIDEN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan View Post
15. minnesota, lemaire - C+

Lemaire is the best coach in the nhl.

captain AARON MAIDEN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffYear92*

Pete gets an A

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i wouldn't give Terry Murray in Los Angeles a B just yet... "coaching" and all the ifs, ands and buts are really determined by their ability on the road, and the Kings have had a very favorable schedule thus far.

barring a miracle stretch which sees the Kings into the playoffs, i think Murray gets an inc. until the season ends... until which time, it'd probably be safe to guess that he'd likely end up above C.
very true on the schedule, but he has implemented a system and has gotten a lot of the young talent to think defense first

Old
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

If anyone comes out of this with a lower grade than Therrien, I want a recount.

He has totally lost this team. He has the top two scorers in the league and among the worst power plays. He changes line combinations more than any of us cough. The team is not all that different from last year pre-Hossa but he is terrible. Last year the team hated Therrien but still believed they could win. This year he's taken that from them...

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain AARON MAIDEN View Post

Lemaire is the best coach in the nhl.
lol, i like jacques and admit it probably should be higher, but based on the conservative style of play - already implemented even with gaborik in lineup - is backstrom the real star here?

record: 25-16-2, 2.20, .927% 6SO

Old
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Teemu

Probably an A-. Only thing keeping Q from an A is his strange fascination with one Matt Walker.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBenz View Post
He won them the cup... and has made the playoffs since...

You don't fire a coach like that.

Alain Vigneault on the other hand has missed 2 playoffs in his 3 years of coaching. NOT ONLY THAT He has made Francise record losing streaks in two consecutive years (this year and last year)

I don't know why AV STILL HAS A JOB!!!
Because in the year they made the playoffs, they set franchise records for wins and points. And when they made the playoffs, they won a series and gave the cup winner a real good run.

The players are out there and working hard - they haven`t lost faith in their coach, they`ve just been individually worse than usual and a mediocre Luongo throws this team deep into the negatives. The players are frustrated in practice not because of the coach but because of each other. Coaching isn`t the problem in Vancouver, it`s Luongo`s slow return to form combined with a temporarily porous defense. Our team REALLY needs those things to be solid to have success and when one of them isn`t, it affects our team more than it would say, San Jose who can rely on offense to overpower teams if needed.

Quote:
lol, i like jacques and admit it probably should be higher, but based on the conservative style of play - already implemented even with gaborik in lineup - is backstrom the real star here?

record: 25-16-2, 2.20, .927% 6SO
No, Backstrom is a solid and reliable, if unspectacular, goaltender, just like all the goalies who have thrived in the system. It is 100% Lemaire's style that gets that team where they are, but it doesn't seem good enough to get them anywhere with it; it drives offensive players away at the very least..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i wouldn't give Terry Murray in Los Angeles a B just yet... "coaching" and all the ifs, ands and buts are really determined by their ability on the road, and the Kings have had a very favorable schedule thus far.

barring a miracle stretch which sees the Kings into the playoffs, i think Murray gets an inc. until the season ends... until which time, it'd probably be safe to guess that he'd likely end up above C.
I'd give him a B- as of today.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Because in the year they made the playoffs, they set franchise records for wins and points. And when they made the playoffs, they won a series and gave the cup winner a real good run.

The players are out there and working hard - they haven`t lost faith in their coach, they`ve just been individually worse than usual and a mediocre Luongo throws this team deep into the negatives. The players are frustrated in practice not because of the coach but because of each other. Coaching isn`t the problem in Vancouver, it`s Luongo`s slow return to form combined with a temporarily porous defense. Our team REALLY needs those things to be solid to have success and when one of them isn`t, it affects our team more than it would say, San Jose who can rely on offense to overpower teams if needed.

No, Backstrom is a solid and reliable, if unspectacular, goaltender, just like all the goalies who have thrived in the system. It is 100% Lemaire's style that gets that team where they are, but it doesn't seem good enough to get them anywhere with it; it drives offensive players away at the very least..
you're right very good point

Old
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Sens4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Probably an A-. Only thing keeping Q from an A is his strange fascination with one Matt Walker.
they were together in St.Louis I tihkn

Sens4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
GoRatsGo
Heffalump Country

vCash: 1100
Peter DeBoer - A

Though the Panthers aren't at the top of the league (YET!! ), he has really been the one to change the team's mindset and get them on their winning ways.

GoRatsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocatsgo538 View Post
Peter DeBoer - A

Though the Panthers aren't at the top of the league (YET!! ), he has really been the one to change the team's mindset and get them on their winning ways.
yes, very true but there are times when they lose to sub par teams - twice to islanders and twice to bolts

Old
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
bombers15

Quote:
with 2/3's of the season done what grade would you give your coach?

12. edmonton, mactavish - C-
F-

If that's possible.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Carlyle...C-

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
F-

If that's possible.

lol, i have actually posted a while back "how long before mact is gone"? but do you think your feelings would change if at season's end they were in the 7th or 8th spot? though i don't think that will happen, so i give him enough rope.....

Old
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
bombers15

Quote:
lol, i have actually posted a while back "how long before mact is gone"? but do you think your feelings would change if at season's end they were in the 7th or 8th spot? though i don't think that will happen, so i give him enough rope.....
In my opinion the Oilers are more talented than a 7th or 8th place team. So if that's where we ended up I think it would still be below our potential. So I'd blame the coach.

Maybe an F- would be too harsh at that point...but still. It's time for him to go.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
BleedingBlueAndWhite

Send a message via MSN to BleedingBlueAndWhite
i dont know if babcock should have a B, id say B- because yes he's a good coach. but i mean, Derek Boogard could coach a team like Detroit and they'd still win the cup

BleedingBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
BleedingBlueAndWhite

Send a message via MSN to BleedingBlueAndWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBenz View Post
Alain Vigneault

F-

The constant line juggling and excuses has driven me to the brink.
isnt it amazing that he won coach of the year in 07 and now people are grading skills an F-?

BleedingBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Alamo

Gretz... Not sure if i should give him the C- or the D+

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 10:10 PM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Ducks Carlyle D-

With the talent on this team, they should be contending for first or second in the West....not struggling to stay in the play-offs. It seems to me that starting back during last season, the players have had enough of Carlyle's ways. I had heard from friends of mine,that work around the team, that the veterans were bristling under his style. He probably coaches the same.....so I should be blaming management for keeping in him in charge, instead of getting someone who the players would respect and listen to.
giguere's had a very sub par season, and the year they won he cup i recall game 5 vs detroit when he stole the game until selanne and scott niedermayer won it and they never looked back