HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The New York Rangers trade Greg de Vries to Ottawa for Karel Rachunek and Alex Giroux

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Absolutely a fantastic trade for the rebuilding Rangers. Great for them.
Sather is doing a better job of this than I dreamed was possible.

Old
03-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Martin

Am I the only Sens fan that thinks this was a HORRIBLE trade?

I absolutely can't stand it! De Vries is an average defenceman at best, and he's certainly not worth 8.8 million over the next 3 years.

Bill Watters (who I usually have little respect for) said on HockeyCentral yesterday that any GM who picks up deVries, with his hefty contract and salary, should be ashamed of themselves. I agreed with him, and I'm saddened that Muckler did this.

Ugh.

Old
03-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Hossa

de Vries isn't a bad #4 d-man, but he's not worth Rachunek. Not even close.

Old
03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
de Vries isn't a bad #4 d-man, but he's not worth Rachunek. Not even close.
Actually, appartently he is. He's apparently worth Giroux on top of that too.

Guess we don't know as much as we think we do sometimes.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Overall, I don't think anybody could have expect the Rangers to clean house the way they're doing, and with Sather doing such a good job while doing it.

I'd still love to deal Poti, Mironov, Hlavac (wishful thinking), Messier and Rucinsky while there is still time left.

Of all the rumors going about about guys like Rucinsky, I don't think Sather's done yet...even though he's running out of time to do so.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Fletch

Rangers fan here...

deVries does have playoff experience and may help a bit, but he's not really a solid top four defenseman. Ideally he's a #5. But on an Ottawa club that has a lot of speed, a system, and forwards who know what to do in three zones, he may become an asset since he moves the puck well and skates a lot (gambles a bit too).

Old
03-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
Hefty price but I think this will help the Sens out this year. He was solid for the Avs in the playoffs and has been good this year in a sinking Rangers ship.

Old
03-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Ozy_Flame

Sens get boned. He's hardly an upgrade over Rachunek, and now have to shell out 3 times as much. Highway robbery by the Rangers; I like it.

Old
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Am I the only Sens fan that thinks this was a HORRIBLE trade?

I absolutely can't stand it! De Vries is an average defenceman at best, and he's certainly not worth 8.8 million over the next 3 years.

Bill Watters (who I usually have little respect for) said on HockeyCentral yesterday that any GM who picks up deVries, with his hefty contract and salary, should be ashamed of themselves. I agreed with him, and I'm saddened that Muckler did this.

Ugh.
I dont like this trade either. I remember Hossa making this guy look silly last season but hey he does that to a lot of defenseman. Despite, Rachunek's dismal play this year he still has a lot of potential but the sens want to win the cup now so making De Vries makes some sense.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Malmo_Mike

Great trade for the Rangers, as well as the Senators. Gives them some extra grit and experience. Exactly the type of a trade a team going for the cup needs to make.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:03 PM
officeglen

For the playoffs, which team got the best D for the playoffs in the last few weeks (including the Sydor deal)? Is it better to have PP QBs like Gonchar or Leetch, or a playoff warrior like Vaananen might be, or a combination of well-rounded skills like Sydor or De Vries.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:10 PM
sidewalkslam

I like this trade for Ottawa. They got a good solid #4 D-man and gave up a decent prospect in Giroux and a guy who IMO only looked good because he was paired up with Redden. And the fact that de Vries has a good plus minus while playing on the Rangers makes it even better.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
jamescl

I think Ott got better undoubtadly through this trade, but IMO, they gave up too much. Rachunek's gonna be much better than deVries ever will be and that should have been enough in itself. To lose a decent prospect too is overpayment. In the short run though, Ott improves.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:11 PM
sensfan18

Prediction: Half of the sens fans knocking de Vries will immediately praise him as soon as he wears the red/black for a week or 2. Good deal, it helps us now and this is the kind of deal contenders make. I think Rachunek is a good young d'man but alot of people blow his potential way out of proportion, I'm really interested in seeing him play without Redden on his side.

BTW, How the hell was De Vries a +12 on that god awful rags team?

Old
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescl
I think Ott got better undoubtadly through this trade, but IMO, they gave up too much. Rachunek's gonna be much better than deVries ever will be and that should have been enough in itself. To lose a decent prospect too is overpayment. In the short run though, Ott improves.
I really don't think losing Giroux is that big of a deal, apparantly his game has regressed and I really am not sure he will every be an NHLer. However I would not be surprised if the Rags are maybe picking up a chunk of the remaining cash owed to De Vries.

Closed Thread