HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Brandon Sutter vs Colton Gillies

View Poll Results: Sutter vs Gillies
Brandon Sutter 17 70.83%
Colton Gillies 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
  #1
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Brandon Sutter vs Colton Gillies

I was bored. I don't know much about Sutter but I heard he was a checker, and Gillies is as well. Both were in the same draft so I was interested

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
  #2
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,074
vCash: 500
too soon to tell.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
  #3
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,104
vCash: 500
Sutter is supposed to be a Brind'Amour type player- Checking, defensively responsible, but with some offensive upside. Not as much offensive upside as Brind'Amour though.

As for comparisons? Way too soon.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
  #4
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,233
vCash: 500
Sutter.

I don't see much upside at all for Gillies.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:45 PM
  #5
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
This is how i'm thinking about these two guys.

Brandon Sutter is like Jordan Staal light at this point in his career. The offensive skills just aren't there for him right now. I think with experience, that part of his game will round into the serviceable range but he's not ever going to be a 30 goal scorer, IMO. I think he tops out as a 20-20 guy with an incredible presence on the penalty kill.

Colton Gillies is like the Flyers version of Keith Primeau in his prime. I think he'll be a 15 goal scorer with a penchant for physical play that Sutter will not bring. Sutter will be adequate in the hitting department, but he doesn't seem to take the pride in it the way Gillies does. Gillies is not as smart as Sutter, but he's faster and more aggressive. Both will be excellent penalty killers.

I classify penalty killers into two distinct groups. Effort penalty killers and Position penalty killers. Gillies is an effort killer and Sutter is a position killer. Gillies puts pressure on the puck carrier and forces mistakes while Sutter is content to use his stick to close passing lanes and frustrate the opposing powerplay. Sutter doesn't expend a lot of energy while killing on the powerplay and the puck tends to stay around the top of the umbrella. Gillies has a tendancy to run around out there a little but has the speed and desire to finish his shifts.

Honestly at this point it's a wash, IMO. I think Gillies is more skilled but Sutter is just so much smarter that it makes them comperable. Good poll here.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 08:53 PM
  #6
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
This is how i'm thinking about these two guys.

Brandon Sutter is like Jordan Staal light at this point in his career. The offensive skills just aren't there for him right now. I think with experience, that part of his game will round into the serviceable range but he's not ever going to be a 30 goal scorer, IMO. I think he tops out as a 20-20 guy with an incredible presence on the penalty kill.

Colton Gillies is like the Flyers version of Keith Primeau in his prime. I think he'll be a 15 goal scorer with a penchant for physical play that Sutter will not bring. Sutter will be adequate in the hitting department, but he doesn't seem to take the pride in it the way Gillies does. Gillies is not as smart as Sutter, but he's faster and more aggressive. Both will be excellent penalty killers.

I classify penalty killers into two distinct groups. Effort penalty killers and Position penalty killers. Gillies is an effort killer and Sutter is a position killer. Gillies puts pressure on the puck carrier and forces mistakes while Sutter is content to use his stick to close passing lanes and frustrate the opposing powerplay. Sutter doesn't expend a lot of energy while killing on the powerplay and the puck tends to stay around the top of the umbrella. Gillies has a tendancy to run around out there a little but has the speed and desire to finish his shifts.

Honestly at this point it's a wash, IMO. I think Gillies is more skilled but Sutter is just so much smarter that it makes them comperable. Good poll here.
Nice post. Sounds like they both offer the same thing but different approaches

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
  #7
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Nice post. Sounds like they both offer the same thing but different approaches
I would say that is fair to assume. I think Gillies has more "bust potential", as hockey smarts are always at a premium and Sutter has that in spades. Gillies however is an exceptional skater, probably one of the best if not the very best in the '08 class, but has had to alter his game to be more of a checker by virtue of a severe lack of hands. Sutter is longer and has a wing span like a crane and his puck control in the offensive zone is already pretty strong.

Gillies is a flat out effort player and those are a commodity as well. I doubt either of these guys will play less than 500-600 games in the league. They were some of the safest picks on the board.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
  #8
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I would say that is fair to assume. I think Gillies has more "bust potential", as hockey smarts are always at a premium and Sutter has that in spades. Gillies however is an exceptional skater, probably one of the best if not the very best in the '08 class, but has had to alter his game to be more of a checker by virtue of a severe lack of hands. Sutter is longer and has a wing span like a crane and his puck control in the offensive zone is already pretty strong.

Gillies is a flat out effort player and those are a commodity as well. I doubt either of these guys will play less than 500-600 games in the league. They were some of the safest picks on the board.
Well Gillies is still a 19-year old. I think playing under JL will improve his hockey smarts as long as he stays determined (unlike Pouliot). I think he can turn out as your comparison, Keith Primeau. 15 goals, 25 assists, and very good forechecking

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
  #9
The Big Swede
Registered User
 
The Big Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gatineau,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Gillies

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:01 AM
  #10
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,120
vCash: 1550
I take Colton Gillies because he has a much higher upside (imo) than Sutter does. His upside is a punishing powerforward, who scores timely goals and makes gamechanging hits. At worst I think he projects as a 3rd liner, can chip in goals, show offensive spark and be one of the best checkers in the league.

Sutter just projects, as a better version of what Gillies worst projection is.

If that makes sense.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:08 AM
  #11
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
I'd say both players will take time to reach their potential. Sutter should reach his first, but both aren't ready yet.

I'm not going to vote since it's hard to give an edge to either one.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:27 AM
  #12
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

Sutter just projects, as a better version of what Gillies worst projection is.

If that makes sense.
Well not really. I think you're underrating Sutter and his hockey smarts. He already understands the game as well as most veterans and he's only going to improve in that capacity. I think his upside is a shut down guy and there are just a handful of those in the league.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
  #13
WILDTATE10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 50
Way to soon to tell

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 01:15 AM
  #14
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,340
vCash: 500
Sutter

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.