HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Sean Avery (UPDATE: Avery Clears Waivers)

View Poll Results: Yes or No
Yes I want Avery back in Blue 210 63.06%
No let him rot in hell, or Dallas 78 23.42%
Call me Swiss, Im neutral 45 13.51%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Kind of interesting Sather would go all the way to Dallas for this though. Maybe he'll be visiting Donny in Phoenix.

02-06-2009, 08:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I know im pretty much the only one not drinking the kool aid here, but I dont want him back and I am extremely surprised by this after all we've heard up until now about the possibility of him coming back.

If they get him do they have him for 3 years after this season? Do you want to take that risk because this current team is lacking some of the abilities he brings now?

If they did get him, i would support him like i do any Ranger - and maybe New York is his true home- maybe he does play his best here. And I can't disagree that the Rangers can totally use his services. But i believe in the long run the bad will outweigh the good. Its not like you are bringing him in here on his walk year, unless Dallas buys him out or some creative loop hole in his contract is executed.

I doubt that will happen and i am unsure of whether on not something like that will be tolerated by the NHLPA, especially for a guy who is so hated around the league. It will be interesting to see what happens here on out. But i know one thing, if they do get him all eyes will be on the Rangers again and for the wrong reasons.

They just spent an hour and a half honoring one of the greatest men the Ranger uniform has ever seen, describing in detail what it means to be a Ranger, and now they are flying directly in the face of that by going after Avery. Despite what he brings on the ice, and i'll agree he would provide an upgrade - to me its not worth the aggravation and spoiling of the jersey he most certainly will bring with him from Dallas.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Voros(-)
Avery(+)
Improvement (=)

This. Sather brought in Voros to try to replace Avery. He hasn't been even close.
No, he didn't. It was some writers and fans who started the whole "Voros will replace Avery!" thing. There may have been some mild hope that Voros would agitate in a somewhat similar fashion, but no one ever, ever thought he would bring as much offense or anything as Avery did.

I'd much rather the Rangers be looking for a legitimate top 6 winger than going back to the "Avery well"

Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

They just spent an hour and a half honoring one of the greatest men the Ranger uniform has ever seen, describing in detail what it means to be a Ranger....
and then the present team went out and embarrassed themselves losing to the worst team in the NHL on home ice...

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

The best thing this move would do is it will make people shutup about this team being "boring."

It doesnt address the teams most pressing need of a goalscorer. Lets keep in mind Avery has never scored 20 goals in a season, and any indications that he can be a second liner instead of a 3rd line agitator havent come to fruition yet...and with Avery approaching 30 years old, who knows if they ever will?

But honestly, this is the best Sather can do?

Old
02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Voros(-)
Avery(+)
Improvement (=)

This. Sather brought in Voros to try to replace Avery. He hasn't been even close.

Some of you mentioned Avery to this team may only end in tears. Like playing passive* carebear hockey brings anything else but tears in the first place. Trading for Avery last time brought a spark to the team. What's there to lose to try that out again? Like we're a dangerous contender anyway...

*Yes, Rangers is playing with such a passive strategy that I felt it was necessary to bold it.
I don't know why anyone saw Voros as Avery's replacement(I honestly don't think Sather did...two completely different players) but if Avery were to come back then I would hope he's not taking Voros' spot, that'd mean he's only gonna play half the games.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:20 AM
RangerFan10

and say what you will about Voros but add avery and get rid of voros from the roster and we just got that much smaller.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:21 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The best thing this move would do is it will make people shutup about this team being "boring."

It doesnt address the teams most pressing need of a goalscorer. Lets keep in mind Avery has never scored 20 goals in a season, and any indications that he can be a second liner instead of a 3rd line agitator havent come to fruition yet...and with Avery approaching 30 years old, who knows if they ever will?

There's plenty of guys on the market, you just have to be patient and let things unfold. This is strictly a rumor.

Old
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
If Sathers been on the phones trying to land a top 6 scoring winger ala Frolov, GMs are asking for players that will HURT giving up. Count on it.

Avery could be the insurance for losing Callahan, Korpikoski, Dubinski etc.
And this. Bringing in Avery by only sacrificing $$ instead of assets means one more winger can be put on the trading block.

If you want this goalscorer to be brought here, be prepared to give up valuables.

Old
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Interesting... New Jersey has beaten the Rangers this year. New Jersey also destroyed Avery's team 5-0 earlier in the season.

Still haven't put 2 and 2 together...

Old
BRINGBACKAVERY

IF this is true this is the best news that has happened to the Rangers this season! I like to dump on Sather as much as the next fan, but if he is pulling this off it means he is man enough to admit that he was wrong and that we never should have let Avery go.

He is not going to solve all goal scoring problems but he will help and perhaps more importantly he fills important voids in this "team" like agitating, drawing penalties, getting the crowd into it, and raising the energy level. After all its not all about scoring goals!

Old
02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
and then the present team went out and embarrassed themselves losing to the worst team in the NHL on home ice...
True, like i said i cant dispute that. Its really exactly what the Rangers need. But ill stick to my guns because ive said it all along, im not going to change my opinions on the matter now, since there is evidence he could be coming back.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Agreed.

How effective can Avery be when his style of play is now monitored under a microscope by the league? Does anyone actually think he'll be the same player without being penalized and suspended over and over?

Old
02-06-2009, 08:23 AM
gmanwrx

get avery back........

Old
02-06-2009, 08:23 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whos gonna be his Daddy on this team?

Shannys a Devil...

Old
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I am praying this happens. This gives the Rangers an instant personality again. Not to mention the guy does have offensive ability which many people seem to forget. And of course lastly just to piss the Devils off, cause theyre fans will be ******** themselves if this comes true.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
jniklast

very mixed reactions....

i dunno. if it is the avery we had the last two years, i'd definitely take him at 1.9, no question.
but it could absolutely destroy the locker room athmosphere, make players want to go away (valiquette, or what happens if zherdev just can't stand avery after a while?), etc...
so it seems to be quite a risk, it could provide a nice spark, but avery definitely wouldn't make us cup contenders. if we can get rid of redden in that deal i'm all for it. in the worst case we could still buyout avery in the offseason and save some money compared to redden.

well, the main reason i might be in favor of this is that at least something would happen with the team, better than stagnation...

Old
02-06-2009, 08:27 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:

Something that the Rangers will be lucky if two current roster players hit this year.

Old
pjdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
This makes a lot of sense, but only in Glen Sather's world. We need scoring desperately so let's add a guy who MIGHT if we were lucky score 5 goals the rest of the way. Glen is trying to pull the wool over our eyes again by making one move that leaves us as incomplete, just like he did the last two years. Of course the trained monkeys in the 400's will cream their pants and all buy Avery jerseys again. They don't care about the hockey, they just want somebody to cheer for.
Monkeys? We dont care about hockey? What a way to talk about your fellow ranger fans. I for one sit in 418 , for 12 years, so please come UP to the blue seats from whereever you sit, thats if u even have season tickets, and tell my section of MONKEYS that we dont care about hockey. Loser. Keep on the thread, smucko. We don't need fans like u. You would think that Graves speech about treating a fellow man with respect, dignity would prevent these kind of remarks towards other fans. I guess not in your case.

Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Sather on the plane to dallas? something must be going down.
Maybe hes just going to watch the game?

Please?

Old
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whos gonna be his Daddy on this team?

Shannys a Devil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed.

How effective can Avery be when his style of play is now monitored under a microscope by the league? Does anyone actually think he'll be the same player without being penalized and suspended over and over?
Things to consider.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:30 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Things to consider.
Come on Billy we all know that the majority of Devils fans would hate it if Avery came back to NY. Admit it or not, he was very effective, particularly against Clarkson, and Brodeur. He is a difference maker if we have to face you guys in the playoffs again.

Old
02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I love how NO one is thinking about the long term effects of getting Avery back.

Especially those who want to fire Renney.

Renney can tolerate this guy, when the Rangers are 1 or 2 and done again in this years playoffs, and they fire Renney this offseason or next, the new coach will be hamstrung with not only the Drury, Gomez, Redden contracts but Avery's longterm presence as well. That might deter a good coach from coming to new york because he knows none of them are going anywhere!

Old
02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
dynamoovechkin

If this happens, which I severely doubt, it would be a shakeup to the team. My guess is that Avery would be on a very short leash, knowing that if he is demoted to HFD, his career is most likely over.

I agree that team chemistry is a bit too melancholy, and having Sean around would wake some people up. Not the least of whom would be Renney.

Sure, it would be a public relations hit to the team, but what Avery did, although reprehensible, was not a capital offense- sheesh, it's not like he's Michael Phelps or anything...

Any why is it verboten to mention the broadcaster that got into it with Avery that time?

And what is Dallas' cap situation?

Old
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
I love how NO one is thinking about the long term effects of getting Avery back.

Especially those who want to fire Renney.

Renney can tolerate this guy, when the Rangers are 1 or 2 and done again in this years playoffs, and they fire Renney this offseason or next, the new coach will be hamstrung with not only the Drury, Gomez, Redden contracts but Avery's longterm presence as well. That might deter a good coach from coming to new york because he knows none of them are going anywhere!
So you would feel more comfortable going into the playoffs (maybe) with the team as it is constructed, soft, ZERO intensity, basically a bunch of primadonnas?

If Avery becomes a future problem you bury him in the minors, very low risk gamble for a potentially very impactive player, imo.

Closed Thread