HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

3 way: Jillson+ a 9 to Buffalo,Curtis Brown+FC to San Jose,Boyes & Delmore to Boston

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Is it confirmed that Brown will be group V? This is his 10th pro year, but his first pro year saw him get in 1 NHL game I think. Does that count as a full year?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players.../00014115.html

I have a hard time thinking SJ would give this much up for a UFA.
Yes, one game does count toward the calculations of Group V UFA. Just look at Martin LaPointe who had a 3 and 4 game "season" with the Wings that counted toward his overall total number of years.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Yes, one game does count toward the calculations of Group V UFA. Just look at Martin LaPointe who had a 3 and 4 game "season" with the Wings that counted toward his overall total number of years.
because he was a 'pro' it is 10 years of a 'pro contract' if i'm not mistaken

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
03-09-2004, 09:22 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Sharks give up one of their top prospects for a third liner who will be a group V free agent?????? jesus...

You would think the Sharks could have added a depth forward in return for a midlevel prospect or picks...

Old
03-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
First time since 1976 that the Sabres and Bruins have worked out a deal (Andre Savard for Peter McNab). Hopefully Jillson can right his progress and round into form. I like it, considering Brown is a Group V this summer. He may also elect to stay in California since his wife is from out there.
I was scouring through the record books today and I came across the heralded Mark Krys for cash deal between the teams about 10 years ago. Krys was a decent depth defenseman for the Amerks if I remember correctly. Neither here nor there obviously. :mad:

Jillson seems to be at about the same level as Tallinder is right now. He'll probably struggle down the stretch but I think he makes the defense corps better now. Then again, that's not hard to do.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:13 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many

Jillson will always be a tease and never be a top 4 guy.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:52 PM
robert1

brown is a rfa after this year atleats thats what it says on all the sites like tsn nhl and so on

Old
03-10-2004, 01:25 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1
brown is a rfa after this year atleats thats what it says on all the sites like tsn nhl and so on
10 years in the league and making under the minimum=Brown will be UFA

Old
03-10-2004, 03:16 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
With quotes on the radio and on the Sharks website, it's obvious Doug Wilson will not be letting Brown get away as a UFA. Of course both sides will have to agree on a deal, but it sounds like Doug Wilson wants to get something done to keep Brown in SJ a while.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
With quotes on the radio and on the Sharks website, it's obvious Doug Wilson will not be letting Brown get away as a UFA. Of course both sides will have to agree on a deal, but it sounds like Doug Wilson wants to get something done to keep Brown in SJ a while.
I think it's questionable that Brown will opt for Group V free agency. It's not automatic, the player has to notify the league and his club by July 15th he's elected to become a Group V. Otherwise he remains a Group II free agent. Is Brown going to get a better offer on the open market than the $1.76 million it'll cost the Sharks to qualify him? If he likes it in SJ, I think staying a Group II is his best option.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I was scouring through the record books today and I came across the heralded Mark Krys for cash deal between the teams about 10 years ago. Krys was a decent depth defenseman for the Amerks if I remember correctly. Neither here nor there obviously. :mad:

Jillson seems to be at about the same level as Tallinder is right now. He'll probably struggle down the stretch but I think he makes the defense corps better now. Then again, that's not hard to do.
I view him as a bit of a project, but one that could have a healthy upside. I like the size factor coupled with his skills and age. That he's a rightie is a plus too. If they can continue to nurse improvement out of their youngsters like they have with Kalinin and Tallinder (since the New Year), there is hope that they could do the same with Jillson too.

As for the deal, they still haven't traded NHLers in some time. Thanks to Wilson for brokering the deal.

As for Brown, I think the Sharks will work to sign him. Playing in their favor is that Brown's wife is a California girl, being closer to her family may prove an added benefit to him, her, and their infant. Just a thought.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Quote:
As for Brown, I think the Sharks will work to sign him. Playing in their favor is that Brown's wife is a California girl, being closer to her family may prove an added benefit to him, her, and their infant. Just a thought.
It's also a favorable location for Curtis to set up his ministry.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
It's also a favorable location for Curtis to set up his ministry.
Can we get an AMEN!

:p

Old
03-10-2004, 03:18 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If Brown is a 4th line player, he's the best 4th liner in the league. Brown is a solid 3rd line center who can be a defensive conscience of the a 2nd line. Can score BIG goals and is an underrated playmaker. The emergance of Derek Roy has made Brown expendable in Buffalo. Kudos to Regier for getting good value for him, Jillson has home run potential IMHO.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Brodeur

I remember proposing Curtis Brown for Martin Skoula earlier in the year, but was told the Sabres would have no interest in a defender with decent upside, but prone to glaring defensive miscues....

I'm not sure Brown's "1st" season of 1 NHL game played will count as a full season towards the 10 needed for group V free agency. I'd assume he'll be RFA or else the Sharks gave up a bunch for a rental.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
I remember proposing Curtis Brown for Martin Skoula earlier in the year, but was told the Sabres would have no interest in a defender with decent upside, but prone to glaring defensive miscues....

I'm not sure Brown's "1st" season of 1 NHL game played will count as a full season towards the 10 needed for group V free agency. I'd assume he'll be RFA or else the Sharks gave up a bunch for a rental.
Any professional game counts toward the 10 year RFA/UFA totals. Even if it's only one.

There was a sketchy report that there is an option on Brown's deal, but I haven't found a formal link.

Closed Thread