HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals 2009 UFA forwards

View Poll Results: Who would you keep?
Sergei Fedorov 43 63.24%
Donald Brashear 32 47.06%
Viktor Kozlov 43 63.24%
None of them. 11 16.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
pgreene

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse View Post
What the hell does it got to do with anything? I resent racist **** like this. On topic, I say resign them all, Feds needs to be kept for a reasonable price though.
well, it's not exactly racist. xenophobic, bigoted, silly, maybe.

i also find it impossible to believe that any caps fan could possibly put any stock in the old russian stereotype. or at least any caps fan familiar with alex ovechkin. so i'm assuming this poster was not using it in a pejorative sense.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
If we are going to get Feds at a discount, we would have this year. He is not going to be cheap next year either, as he will be the same player he is today. If Nylander is healthy producing and is untradeable, I think Feds is gone next year. I sure hope Feds is saving it up for later in the year, I havent really noticed him much so far. I know a lot of what he brings isnt see on the ice, but still.

For 4 million, I should be noticing him more.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I would have no problem with Feds at a reduced price.
It wouldn't be a terrible move, but I'd like to see the team clear SOMEONE out at forward to make room for a Hershey kid or two. If nothing else, Bork is going to need some ice time next year.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
well, it's not exactly racist. xenophobic, bigoted, silly, maybe.

i also find it impossible to believe that any caps fan could possibly put any stock in the old russian stereotype. or at least any caps fan familiar with alex ovechkin. so i'm assuming this poster was not using it in a pejorative sense.
Then why mention it at all? You trivialize this, but I guarantee if he'd typed 'Big soft african-american' about Brashear it would've been a bigger deal and not just because of the 'soft' part.

Last edited by Refuse: 02-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Ridley Simon

I like Feds, a lot. I mean, as far as a player goes, whats not to like?

But he will probably play about half the games. He is essentially an 8m a year player, and his abilities simply dont mesh with that salary figure anymore. We have won consistently without him. Does he help in "the room" while he is injured? I'm SURE he does. But this is the salary cap era of hockey, and some things simply have to give. 4m a year for 40 games is not going to cut it.

Kozlov, as has been mentioned in this thread repeatedly, is glue for this team. I think his loss would be felt very negatively. He is worth the 2.5m he's making, thats for certain. If he resigns at the same price,we would be fools to let him go.

Brashear is the hardest case. He is a leader, and you can never have too many of those. His skills as a pugilist are still almost unmatched, and he can still skate pretty well. Another safe 2 yr contract makes sense to me.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Kozlov seems like a guy someone is going to overpay for based on the theory of "If Boudreau kept putting with him with Ovechkin to make that 1st line go, he must be doing something really right." Especially a team with their own young stud forward who is searching for a capable RW. Heck, I could even see the Pens making a run at him. So, while I would like him back at a $2m price tag, I don't know if we'll be able to do it.

I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other on keeping Brash per se, but we sure as hell need someone to fill his role if he goes. And, if not Brash, who? We play our 4th line more than many teams so it has to be someone who can skate 10 minutes a night and not be a disaster, in addition to knowing how to fight. It is a bad, bad, bad idea to go into next year without a heavyweight to protect our skill players.

As for Feds, I think the final salary cap ceiling will have a lot to do with what happens. If this year were like the last 3 and the cap were going up by $5-6m, I think we sign Feds to another $4m 1-year deal and don't think twice. I don't care if it's a mild overpayment. He brings so much to the team. But if this cap is holding steady or even dropping a smidge, I don't know if we can afford him. Even if we were to hold firm and make no additions from outside the organization, we're still going to be in a position where we need to make some tough choices on guys like Gordo, Steckel, Fehr, Mo, Jurcina, Schultz, etc. Just the small raises these guys will get for re-signing will eat up the majority of any cap room cleared by letting Kozlov walk. And then there's Pothier. And I am going to bet that GMGM will make it a goal to not be so capped out next season. So, losing Feds seems like a necessary evil unless we get surprising news on the 09-10 salary cap.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If we are going to get Feds at a discount, we would have this year. He is not going to be cheap next year either, as he will be the same player he is today. If Nylander is healthy producing and is untradeable, I think Feds is gone next year. I sure hope Feds is saving it up for later in the year, I havent really noticed him much so far. I know a lot of what he brings isnt see on the ice, but still.

I disagree. Fedorov this season is not the Fedorov that played the post deadline for the Caps last season. He has missed significant time due to injury. His performance pre injury this season and post injury has not been the same. He is diminished.

He provides experience and a precense that the team needs, but is not producing like he was. He may jump back up down the stretch and in the playoffs. If he does, then he commands the same money. If he doesn't then he commands less. Its also true that this season the salary cap rules prevented the Caps from using a bonus structure. Next season I would expect bonunes and less base salary, even if its the same money in the end.

I would expect some adjustment based on what we've seen so far. If he doesnt get better, maybe Feds just retires.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
txpd

I don't think Kozlov makes it to free agency, if McPhee decides to keep him. I think its pretty clear that Kozlov wants to stay.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I disagree. Fedorov this season is not the Fedorov that played the post deadline for the Caps last season. He has missed significant time due to injury. His performance pre injury this season and post injury has not been the same. He is diminished.

He provides experience and a precense that the team needs, but is not producing like he was. He may jump back up down the stretch and in the playoffs. If he does, then he commands the same money. If he doesn't then he commands less. Its also true that this season the salary cap rules prevented the Caps from using a bonus structure. Next season I would expect bonunes and less base salary, even if its the same money in the end.

I would expect some adjustment based on what we've seen so far. If he doesnt get better, maybe Feds just retires.
I think you're going to see GMGM (and others) be very conservative with the bonus cushion next season. The cap is almost certainly going down the season after, and any team in position to use the cushion isn't likely going to be able to deal with a dead cap hit the season after. Yeah, it's available, but it's not something we can look to as a huge safety net when it'll likely end up hurting us more than helping.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
The Viking Fury

All three for now. Kozlov could pass easily though.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Brash: No cause we need to start getting cheaper on the 4th line (damn u Brads contract)

Feds: No way at current prices. 2M... maybe. Consider asking him to sit out half of year and sign in Jan 2010 for 2M (4M yearl rate)

Kozlov: Heck yeah at current price x 2 years. Hell no if he wants a significant raise.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:35 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

After taking a gander at the UFA list, maybe we should keep Kozlov. Unless Fehr goes nuts over the next 4 months.

It would be a gamble, but I think Neil could regain his scoring touch in our uptempo system.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
FrankM73

Feds: no more than 3 mil!
Kozlov: 2.5 is fine again!
Brashear: 1.2 mil is fine again!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

My own preference would be to bring back Brashear and Kozlov for about what they make at present, for one season each. If they opted to cut the cord with Brashear, I wouldn't mind too much. Kozlov should return, though.

Fedorov provides/provided key leadership as the team started to enter the playoff mix. He did that last season, and he'll be playing that role again this post-season.

Unless he is absolutely lights out in the playoffs, though, I don't bring Fedorov back. Cap pressures will be mounting, and the team needs to start thinking of Nylander as a core player instead of a third liner/depth player.

Unless you find a taker and he acquiesces to a trade in June, then by July 1st let everyone in the organization know that Nylander is core, he's playing second-line center, he's getting 20 minutes a night, and there is no room for Fedorov. Only sign Fedorov if you've consummated a Nylander trade by the UFA period. The draft should be considered the final opportunity to trade Nylander.

After that, he's a central player, not a bit player. Nylander might not be perfect in this team's system, but he also suffers from a third wheel syndrome, when Fedorov is an option for the coaching staff. This is a guy who earns a large chunk of the payroll, a guy who still has his skills and especially endurance, and he needs to play significant minutes with quality linemates every night.

I tell my coach to maximize Nylander's contributions. I think you're already seeing some of the rewards from that philosophy, since they told Nylander to unpack his bags in January and began trying to get the most from him. For too long they were looking at him as a guy who was a week away from getting dealt.

Without Fedorov, the Caps are spending about $6.5M on their top two centers, and the money works out well. With Fedorov, the Caps are spending $4.875M on their #3 center.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Devil Dancer

To play devil's advocate, who plays center next year if Feds is gone, and either Nylander sucks or Backstrom gets hurt? I've never been high on Laich as a scoring line center, and Stecks and Gordon won't get the job done.

I don't see any of the Caps' C prospects making the jump for the 09-10 season.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That is the reality for most teams, which rarely have three legitimate top-six centers on their rosters, just in case one of them happens to implode.

If one of your two top-six centers needs to be replaced, you go looking for another one in trade. At a certain point, though, you have to assume that the money is going to do the heavy lifting. Nylander hasn't missed any time and he hasn't shown a precipitous dropoff in skill. He simply doesn't play a high-tempo, north-south game.

Players the Caps would rely on at center include Kozlov, Laich, Steckel, Gordon. In the event the club tossed a top-six center on LTIR, the team would likely seek one in trade.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Any/all of them, as long as they are 1 year deals.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Any/all of them, as long as they are 1 year deals.
I agree with this. We will need the 7.7 million those 3 make when Semin and Backstrom are RFA's.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:13 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Admittedly he's had a high ankle sprain and those are ridiculous to overcome during a season. See Semin and Crosby last season.

When he was healthy such as at the beginning of the season he was the second best forward on the team right after Semin. Heck...he was probably our 2-3rd best defenseman too at that point.

Right now, I think the guy is just trying to get the ankle back in shape. He's been far more productive than any other center we have outside of Backstrom.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:20 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I agree with this. We will need the 7.7 million those 3 make when Semin and Backstrom are RFA's.
I think it is almost a given that Feds and Brash will get 1 year deals if they resign. They are currently on 1 yr deals

As for Kozlov, I wouldn't be surpised if he got a 1 year deal, but then again a 2 year deal wouldn't be out of the question.

Because I think by 10/11 season - Feds (4), Nylander (4.875), Theodore (4.5), Brashear (1.2), Pothier (2.5), Morrisonn (1.975) and Jurcina (.971) will all be off the books whether it be by expiring contracts or trade. Thats going to be enough room to keep Semin, Backstrom and Flash in the fold.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Kozlov seems like a guy someone is going to overpay for based on the theory of "If Boudreau kept putting with him with Ovechkin to make that 1st line go, he must be doing something really right." Especially a team with their own young stud forward who is searching for a capable RW. Heck, I could even see the Pens making a run at him. So, while I would like him back at a $2m price tag, I don't know if we'll be able to do it.
To be sure, I hope you're right. Kozlov is someone we could most definitely use, and would happily pay the 2.5 million for.
But you have a good thing going, and I suspect Kozlov has too.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:50 AM
HTFN

Kozlov is the focal point for our puck possession game in the offensive zone. That guy can fight off two to three defenders and still make the right read under pressure. He's not a huge point getter, but his intangibles make him worth even more than we're paying him now. He's the glue of the first line, what with his ability to stickhandle in a phonebooth.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
LSF76

Bottom line:

All 3 are role players, including Feds. If we pay them like role players, they can stay. If they want bigger money, they walk. Simple as that.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Jasper17

I love Fedorov, but you can't pay him 4 million per year. And with the depth this team has at center, and how well they played with Fedorov out of the lineup, I think the Caps will have to make the very tough choice to let him walk.

Kozlov, part of me can see the Caps bringing him back at 2.5 per. However with the way Fehr is playing I think the Caps could look elsewhere.

Brashear they need.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Golden AWe

Well, well, well...playoffs didn't really change the picture, except I feel we need a sharper and grittier player (a healthy younger version of Clark) to replace Kozlov...despite the few great goals he scored, he's still way too anti-physical.

Fedorov...too expensive at 4 mil, despite all the positives...

Brashear...I think we have no need for him anymore.

Golden AWe is offline   Reply With Quote